Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

Brad

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #540 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:08 am »
New Anthrax releases Friday 2/26  For All Kings

I've only heard the song they pre-released, but it appears to be a strong follow up to Worship Music

Arrived today.  Enjoying the old school thrash quite a bit.  Nice recording too.

PRELUDE

« Reply #541 on: 27 Feb 2016, 04:11 pm »
They said metal heads are violent people!
Is not it true that nobody got upset or rude to anyone in this thread yet and it is all about music ?
Any way, I have been very busy and finally I am taking some break and started with ordering 10 Cd's but there is one that I cannot get enough to listen to.
Be'Lakor
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOiQOOrj-fY
I am new to the band and I could bet my right arm that I am traveling between Swedish to Finnish band but I was wrong.
When it comes to pure rock then Australia can offer a lot but a melodic death like this? :o
I have to admit that I have heard a lot of death metal bands and not all of them are good even if you are are death metal guy only.
Well, I dare to say this is the way it should be.   

JoshK

« Reply #542 on: 27 Feb 2016, 04:23 pm »
Be'lakor is one of my favorites too!  I listen to it at least 3 times a week.   They are fairly unique within the melodic death genre in that they are a bit on the progressive side of things.    Check out Of Breath and Bone as well, it is as good as Stone's Reach imo. 

Orpheus Omega is another good Australian melodeath band worth checking out.  Elysian too. 

JoshK

« Reply #543 on: 27 Feb 2016, 04:32 pm »
I'll have to check that one out Brad.  I haven't heard anything from Anthrax since the '80s.  Then again I haven't really followed much thrash.  Is Lamb of God considered thrash?  Groove or trash?   

Brad

« Reply #544 on: 27 Feb 2016, 05:35 pm »
I'll have to check that one out Brad.  I haven't heard anything from Anthrax since the '80s.  Then again I haven't really followed much thrash.  Is Lamb of God considered thrash?  Groove or trash?
Not familiar with Lamb of God - will check them out.

Anthrax's 2011 Worship Music was one of their best, right up there with Among the Living.
I'm only a couple of listens in, but I think this one belongs in that group too.

The recording has good dynamic range - some of their compatriots (ahem, Metallica) could certainly benefit from this type of production.

JoshK

« Reply #545 on: 27 Feb 2016, 05:40 pm »
If you check out LoG, consider Ashes of the Wake (my personal fave of theirs) through Wrath.   Those were the best ones.  Probably only have the tracks out of those three albums are really stellar, the rest are so-so.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2016, 08:38 pm by JoshK »

Folsom

« Reply #546 on: 27 Feb 2016, 08:30 pm »
+1 on Therion.  I have this DVD on now.

How are the CD's? Recommendations? You can see a shit quality version of this on Youtube and it looks like it'd be a great album.

milford3

« Reply #547 on: 27 Feb 2016, 08:48 pm »
Folsom, the CD version is very well recorded.  One of the best Goth bands out there.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #548 on: 27 Feb 2016, 09:26 pm »
Black Sabbath : The End CD

Got it at the MSG show on Thursday.

Folsom

« Reply #549 on: 27 Feb 2016, 10:14 pm »
It's on my list :)

FireGuy

« Reply #550 on: 28 Feb 2016, 01:41 am »
Black Sabbath : The End CD

Got it at the MSG show on Thursday.

Black Sabbath (early 70's) was THE band that put me on the road to Metal.  Have not left since.   Sabbath.  Bloody Sabbath.

Seems like yesterday.  Metal... best music genre on the planet... IMO.

FireGuy

« Reply #551 on: 28 Feb 2016, 01:50 am »
More MPE.  Muchas gracias for the intro of this very fine band on this thread. 

Kiitos to the Finns.

« Last Edit: 29 Feb 2016, 12:05 am by FireGuy »

JoshK

« Reply #552 on: 28 Feb 2016, 02:42 am »
MPE might be my favorite melodeath act.   I am going through the list of them.  The original three I love, In Flame's Jester era was tops, so was DT in their prime, but MPE is a really dark melodic power death metal album.   Liberation = Termination is their fastest maybe, Dawn of the 5th Era was my introduction and is still a favorite.

FireGuy

« Reply #553 on: 4 Mar 2016, 01:23 am »
Harakiri for the Sky - Very interesting band....Melodic Black Metal

FireGuy

« Reply #554 on: 6 Mar 2016, 01:57 am »
Came across STS' latest, three-disc release... yes three disc (from 2015).  How I missed this until now is disturbing.   Nonetheless I find it a masterpiece of progressive,  doom and melodic death metal.  Sublime.  STS's opus.  An incredible piece of work that has defined the band and their accomplishments.  Highly recommended. 

Folsom

« Reply #555 on: 6 Mar 2016, 03:31 am »
Came across STS' latest, three-disc release... yes three disc (from 2015).  How I missed this until now is disturbing.   Nonetheless I find it a masterpiece of progressive,  doom and melodic death metal.  Sublime.  STS's opus.  An incredible piece of work that has defined the band and their accomplishments.  Highly recommended. 

What do you call that type of singing?

FireGuy

« Reply #556 on: 6 Mar 2016, 04:53 pm »
What do you call that type of singing?

There's a nice blend of vocals on this release.  What I think you are asking is the "growling" vocal.  Initially I found it very edgy and unappealing.  After some time I realized how it's a specific segment of various sub metal genres.  What kept me going back is the talent, production and overall presentation of the music.  These bands are exceptional.  STS is no exception.  When you get past this vocal type the musical reward pops.

JoshK

« Reply #557 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:35 pm »
I'd say that STS's vocal styling (first disc in particular) come from their black metal roots.   While the second acoustic disk is obviously different.   

I am not particularly keen on black metal, but their vocal styling isn't the worst.  Agalloch, Panopticon, Ne Obliviscaris, these guys all are more than simple black metal but carry over the vocal styling of Black Metal.

FireGuy

« Reply #558 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:59 pm »
Probably the best example of arrayed vocal styles is OPETH.    Their latest release has no black metal vocal influence but most that precede this work does.  It's this seemingly unbalanced variation that draws me in.  The arrangements are anything but cookie cutter and predictable.

Folsom

« Reply #559 on: 7 Mar 2016, 08:28 pm »
I don't like growling. I find it ruins good music.