ST's color matching

Tufelhundin

ST's color matching
« on: 15 Oct 2011, 03:36 pm »
Greeting everyone, I see familiar usernames here.  Im new to this forum due to my interest in the Salks St's.  I understand the differences in wood and the colors and such but Im wondering what veneer and what dye would match up with the SVS PBU Rosenut?   I currently have 4 x RS450 Rosewood Rockets with RS200 center and dual Rosenut PBU's and the Rockets match up very nicely with the subs.  However times have changed and even though I thoroughly enjoy my RS450's I have been searching for RS850's and due to people pricing them off of their MSRP "which most never paid from Shifty" Im looking at just replacing the front 3 of my system and Im planning on keeping one set...I do like them.  I have also been intrigued by Aperion VGT's as well but Im leaning towards the Salks for the exact same reason I leaned toward the Rockets, years of GREAT reviews and people seem to be happy with their purchases.

As mentioned before I recognize a lot of user names here from various forums and I hope that I can one day soon become part of the Salk family.

Ok, back to colors...I have a rough idea of what would match pretty well but word of mouth and experience would be appreciated.  I also go to looking at the Olivewood and was thinking what if it was dyed a deep red?  Im currently in Italy for a brief spell but Im trying to do my research now and have most of the items I want bought and shipped to a Stateside addy as I have done with a Sherwood Newcastle a couple of months ago and some ERD surrounds.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Semper Fi

Tufelhundin

Re: ST's color matching
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2011, 08:55 am »
I'm assuming this would be the preferred option for trying to match the Rosenut PBU's:

Pau Ferro rosewood veneer
Custom dye

Hopefully someone can answer this for me concerning the SongCenter.  One of the main reason I went with the Rocket system was due to the RS200 Bigfoot, I think its an excellent center.  For those that had the RS200 and now have the Songcenter can I get a comparison or just the pros/cons if any?   

ratso

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm »
99% of all responses you're going to get to this are going to be "ask jim", and i'm going to be the first to say it. not because we're all lazy but because this is one of the things that jim does absolutely the best. i think most of us (well i did, anyways) just picked out the veneer we wanted and let jim do with it as he wished. however, if you are shooting to match something's color or want a specific color for your home he can help you with that too.

Tufelhundin

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2011, 01:14 pm »
Thanks for responding, I have been reading and using the search function quite a bit here the past few days since its the weekend and I have some time, but I guess I was getting anxious and figured I might as well throw out a post concerning.

Semper Fi

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2011, 06:47 pm »
Personally I don't think that the Pau Ferro Rosewood matches the SVS Rosenut...  which is more of a red, but I'd be willing to bet that Jim could stain them to match closer...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2011, 06:52 pm »

I'd say Rosewood with a little staining.  Piece of cake for Jim.

Start posting your Rockets.  No comparison to Salk speakers.  Major upgrade.

putz

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2011, 07:17 pm »
I sold my 850s to buy the Songtowers and there is no comparison, especially with 2 ch listening. I have the Songcenter and it's just as good as the Bigfoot. Plus I don't have to think of Shifty when I'm enjoying my speakers.

My Songtowers are Rosewood and much less red in them. (credit to Evan for the ST pic)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2011, 07:34 pm »
Speak of the devil....

billmcc

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2011, 05:14 pm »
If I recall doesn't SVS have samples of their different veneers that you can request? I was looking at their subs a number of years ago and I thought it was SVS that sent me some samples. If you can do that then Jim could match the finish color, veneer and degree of gloss. If you do not have some type of sample to give to Jim I believe it is very difficult to have a good match to the SVS. To me the veneer in the Rosenut is more uniform than the Rosewood veneer that Jim uses. Not that darker to lighter differences is not good but I think they are quite different. I had several speakers from Dynaudio in their Rosewood finish which I found to be like the SVS Rosenut finish. The Dyns replaced speakers from av123 and their Rosewood finish was more like the Rosewood veneer Jim uses as far as differencs from light to dark.

I didn't know that the Colorado prison system had coed facilities with HT rooms as well :lol:. Maybe 'ole Shifty talked CO into some "choice" gear to lessen his jail time ;).

Bill

Tufelhundin

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2011, 06:06 pm »
Thats funny :lol:

I know Axiom used to send out samples, not sure about SVS and heck I've even been to their HQ in Ohio.  It doesnt have to match exactly and mine are much more darker than the pic above, but cameras always tend to make things look different.  I will Jim, I really like the Olivewood and if that could be dyed a deep red....Mmmmmmm, that may be real nice.

Im really glad to hear the input concerning the Songcenter vs RS200 as well.

FWIW here are a couple pics of mine.