Soundscape 10 Listening Opportunity in Bay Area - limited time

yamashirod

Re: Soundscape 10 Listening Opportunity in Bay Area - limited time
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2010, 06:42 pm »
Question for Jim or Dennis; has anything changed with the SoundScapes after Jim's prototype was built?  We know that the top section is now molded but are there any crossover changes or anything else?Thanks - - Dean

jsalk

« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2010, 07:02 pm »
Question for Jim or Dennis; has anything changed with the SoundScapes after Jim's prototype was built?  We know that the top section is now molded but are there any crossover changes or anything else?Thanks - - Dean

There have been four recent iterations of the SoundScape crossover during the final development stage.  I am not certain, but it is likely that the version you heard was the next to the last version.  In the last version, we lifted the midrange/tweeter section 1/4 db over the previous version for slightly added presence.

Other changes are moving the tweeter contour switch to the top of the woofer cabinet and removing it from the top section.  Other changes are mostly cosmetic.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2010, 07:16 pm »
There have been four recent iterations of the SoundScape crossover during the final development stage.  I am not certain, but it is likely that the version you heard was the next to the last version.  In the last version, we lifted the midrange/tweeter section 1/4 db over the previous version for slightly added presence.

Other changes are moving the tweeter contour switch to the top of the woofer cabinet and removing it from the top section.  Other changes are mostly cosmetic.

- Jim

I don't remember which crossover is in there either.  But if it's not the latest, then the difference in the mids and highs is a little more than 1/4 dB. Not a lot, though. 

writeface

« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2010, 09:49 pm »
Holly Cole - I can see clearly now from the album "Don't Smoke in Bed".

The difference in clarity was immediately noticeable between SS10 and HT-3. Cole's voice was rendered super clear by HT-3 and a bit warm by SS10. I enjoyed both but I am used to (and love) the clarity offered by HT-3.

Amazing!  :lol:

I know what you mean. They are so good in these areas that it is difficult to put into words.

Bob

PS which holly cole song or disk showed that problem?

fsimms

« Reply #24 on: 28 Sep 2010, 02:59 am »
I downloaded Holly Cole’s “I can see clearly now” from Amazon.  I played it on my (now Jim’s) HT1’s and my SS10’s.   It sounded fantastic on the HT1’s.  Her voice also sounded fantastic on the SS10’s with the midrange chamber back on.  Different people would probably disagree which one was best. Her voice on the HT1’s sounded snappier and clear.  Her voice, on the SS10’s, was rounder and more flesh like and detailed.  Her image was also clearer.  I think there would be no argument that the piano was much better on the SS10’s as it was incredible.  The piano was so crisp, dynamic and full bodied.  The Orchestra was also more three dimensional on the SS10’s.

I then pulled the back off of the midrange chamber.  The ambiance wasn’t optimized for my room as I guess Tracy’s wasn’t.  I notice that the voice and the piano were blurred compared to the other two trials.  The Orchestra was larger and much more glorious.  This confirmed for me Jim Salk’s comment that the ambiance mode was best for larger ensembles and the closed midrange chamber was best for simple voices and instruments.

Bob

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2010, 05:27 pm »
Great descriptions guys; keep 'em coming!  I'm drooling here, greatly anticipating my audition at RMAF.