The "HT4" information, rumors, discussion and suggestion thread

doug s.

• makin' music
robin, i think the woolies are a good thing.  but, i agree w/dennis - if the opening at the tweeter were chamfered at 45%, or even rounded,  (sorta like a multi-angle walve-seat cut on an engine walve job), i bet it would sound even better.   8)  i think this is what dennis was alluding to - not that it doesn't work, but that it could be better...

my meret re's have this sorta thing built in to the grill frame...  here's a pic w/the felt sans frame velcro'd to the front baffle.  it's hard to see in the pic, but the edges are chamfered:

doug s.

rydenfan

Since this thread seems pretty open to various ideas, I would like to suggest the ScanSpeak Revelator tweeter. I listened to a speaker the other day that utilizes this tweeter and I was floored by the detail and transparency at the top end while having zero fatigue or "grainyness".

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
robin, i think the woolies are a good thing.  but, i agree w/dennis - if the opening at the tweeter were chamfered at 45%, or even rounded,  (sorta like a multi-angle walve-seat cut on an engine walve job), i bet it would sound even better.   8)  i think this is what dennis was alluding to - not that it doesn't work, but that it could be better...

doug s.

Exactly--I'm not saying felt doesn't help (although it is ugly).  Just that an edge is an edge, and you're better off with a flush surface.

Rapt

This is not done any better then by rockport technology:

orientalexpress

i went to listen to an audio store here in the city ,That rockport sound amazing.then again the price on that is way out of my league.
This is not done any better then by rockport technology:

PMAT

Putting that snapper wool an any speaker would ruin it for me. Visual waste. I know, I know it's all about the sound. I was looking at Big Red Machine's gallery earlier and was floored by the waterfall bubinga HT-3's. Then I saw the pics with the snapper wool on the G-2 tweet and I was disgusted. Put a beard on the Mona Lisa for gods sake. No offense but there must be an alternative.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Putting that snapper wool an any speaker would ruin it for me. Visual waste. I know, I know it's all about the sound. I was looking at Big Red Machine's gallery earlier and was floored by the waterfall bubinga HT-3's. Then I saw the pics with the snapper wool on the G-2 tweet and I was disgusted. Put a beard on the Mona Lisa for gods sake. No offense but there must be an alternative.

Another audiophile who listens with his eyes. :D It's always about the components and not about the music with folks like you,,, and there's nothing wrong with that,,, for you.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

grenamc

Since this thread seems pretty open to various ideas, I would like to suggest the ScanSpeak Revelator tweeter. I listened to a speaker the other day that utilizes this tweeter and I was floored by the detail and transparency at the top end while having zero fatigue or "grainyness".
I would second this suggestion.  I have heard it on three different pairs of speakers.  It is the finest combination of sweetness and detail that I have ever heard in a tweeter.  Awesome on cymbals. 

-Michael

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Which Revelator tweeter are you guys speaking of?  (9900, Ring Radiator, 7100, 6600 or the new Illuminators)

I think to many the dome tweeter would be a step backwards.  I personally love the AirCirc (6600) tweeter from ScanSpeak.  I would like to see the ht4 consist of a RAAL tweeter, possibly a dome mid (ATC) or AudioTechnology mid and a bass driver designed specifically for the ht4.  Staying with a 3-way should keep costs at a level that will bring in new customers for Salk Sound as well as attract the old ones.  To really compete with the Vandersteen 5A I think the ht4 would have to become a 4-way speaker.  No? 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
I've worked fairly extensively with all of the Scan domes except the ring and the new Illuminator (I didn't realize it was available--I know we'll be testing out the 5" Illuminator mid when it becomes available States-Side).  They are all built like tanks and are a joy to work with.  I wouldn't pick any of them as a replacement for Jim's current ribbons, however.  And I also don't think they are better than the Seas T25 or a Morel 33. 

doug s.

• makin' music
the meret re's look quite respectable w/their grilles on, and the wool hidden inside.  the woll is flush w/the grille cloth, and the edge of the frame is beveled.

but, i am w/robin - the sound is more important.   and, in the case of the meret's, removing the grille cloth made things yust a mite better.  8)  however i do recall seeing pics of speakers that i thought to myself - "no way i could live w/that in my house".   :lol:

doug s.

PMAT

Another audiophile who listens with his eyes. :D It's always about the components and not about the music with folks like you,,, and there's nothing wrong with that,,, for you.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
[/quote]

Hey, I'm Italian! I love women, I love music and lastly, I love speakers. I do not listen with my eyes, I listen mostly with my eyes closed in my dedicated chair. I never listen to my big rig casually. I go for full immersion and take along time to pick the first track to perfectly match the mood of the night. But when I open my eyes, beautiful handmade speakers will never have a beard. My bathroom floor is a one piece green Onyx slab of rock that is so beautiful you want to kiss it. So if you want to label me then label me as a great appreciator, not an eyeball audiophile, thank you.

AliG

Dennis, have you worked with Raven tweeter before?  I wonder what justifies its hefty price-tag  :scratch:

I've worked fairly extensively with all of the Scan domes except the ring and the new Illuminator (I didn't realize it was available--I know we'll be testing out the 5" Illuminator mid when it becomes available States-Side).  They are all built like tanks and are a joy to work with.  I wouldn't pick any of them as a replacement for Jim's current ribbons, however.  And I also don't think they are better than the Seas T25 or a Morel 33. 

maxwalrath

My bathroom floor is a one piece green Onyx slab of rock ...

Got a pic?  I love cool bathrooms

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Dennis,

Do you or Jim have a list of drivers you want to test?  Some of us may be able to help.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Dennis, have you worked with Raven tweeter before?  I wonder what justifies its hefty price-tag  :scratch:

Yup--I built a 3-way using the R1.  It has superior horizontal dispersion due to its lack of horn loading.  The literal down side is that you can't take it as far down.  As for which drivers we'll be checking out, I'll mention them, but won't report my impressions on any of them (other than the winners).  And if we don't end up using a particular driver, it may just be that it wasn't as appropriate for our specific needs.  Anyhow, the RAAL ribbon is on the list (it would have to  be).  There's the Scan 5 " illuminator I mentioned, and I'm currently working with the bending wave Manger full-range driver ($1200 a pop).  And there's a flat diaphram mid (not a planar or ribbon) that we should have fairly soon.  We pretty much have the woofer.  Any other suggestions for mid and tweet?

TomS

+1 for the RAAL ribbon.  Awesome sound on 3 different speakers I heard using them at RMAF.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!

Yup--I built a 3-way using the R1.  It has superior horizontal dispersion due to its lack of horn loading.  The literal down side is that you can't take it as far down.  As for which drivers we'll be checking out, I'll mention them, but won't report my impressions on any of them (other than the winners).  And if we don't end up using a particular driver, it may just be that it wasn't as appropriate for our specific needs.  Anyhow, the RAAL ribbon is on the list (it would have to  be).  There's the Scan 5 " illuminator I mentioned, and I'm currently working with the bending wave Manger full-range driver ($1200 a pop).  And there's a flat diaphram mid (not a planar or ribbon) that we should have fairly soon.  We pretty much have the woofer.  Any other suggestions for mid and tweet?

I love that Acuton ceramic mid-range driver that is in many great sounding, but very expensive speakers.

George

TF1216

• Industry Participant
I have a pair of RAALs that I am not using for a few weeks.  Need some to test?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
I love that Acuton ceramic mid-range driver that is in many great sounding, but very expensive speakers.

George

I just did a design with the 3" midrange.  Very smooth, but it can't go below 850 Hz.  I know.  I burned up one trying.