Upgrade priorities?

brj

Upgrade priorities?
« on: 6 Aug 2005, 05:49 pm »
I suspect that there will be several threads regarding the upgrade options that Jim offers, but I'd like to start one that documents how people would rank these options relative to the associated acoustic improvement.

I know there have been very few direct comparisons between speakers with and without a particular upgrade, much less in the same system with the same upstream components, but some have at least had the chance to hear multiple pairs of HT3s or HT1s.  Basically, I can see two types of rankings:

1) Most bang for the buck
2) Most improvement regardless of price

Any thoughts would be most appreciated - thanks!

Marbles

Upgrade priorities?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2005, 12:51 am »
Under #2, the cap upgrade probably gives the most performance gain.

One thing about the cap upgrade, the caps take up so much room, there is no room for an extra brace behind the woofer.

So if you go for the (internal) cap upgrade, you should also get the black hole.

If you get external XO's, this of course does not apply.

It should be noted the brace I'm talking about was not one originally designed in the HT3, but was going to be added at my request after a knuckle wrap test at AKfest.  The cabinets are pretty solid as originally designed.

If I were to get the external XO's, I'd ask for this brace and BH5.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Upgrade priorities?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2005, 02:51 am »
Quote from: brj
I suspect that there will be several threads regarding the upgrade options that Jim offers, but I'd like to start one that documents how people would rank these options relative to the associated acoustic improvement.

I know there have been very few direct comparisons between speakers with and without a particular upgrade, much less in the same system with the same upstream components, but some have at least had the chance to hear multiple pairs of HT ...

In the near future I will have a second pair of HT3's with various options and will be able to directly compare the upgraded pair to a stock pair.

As of today, I haven't heard the HT3's outside of the pair I own.

George

Gordy

Upgrade priorities?
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2005, 03:40 am »
Hi Rob,

I would suspect the cap upgrade would fall under #1 as well, any thoughts on that???

Gordy

Marbles

Upgrade priorities?
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2005, 04:11 am »
Quote from: Gordy
Hi Rob,

I would suspect the cap upgrade would fall under #1 as well, any thoughts on that???

Gordy

#1 is too relative depending on the persons disposable $$$$ IMO, but maybe it would.

pugs

Upgrade priorities?
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2005, 04:45 am »
Quote from: Marbles

One thing about the cap upgrade, the caps take up so much room, there is no room for an extra brace behind the woofer.

So if you go for the (internal) cap upgrade, you should also get the black hole.

It should be noted the brace I'm talking about was not one originally designed in the HT3, but was going to be added at my request after a knuckle wrap test at AKfest.  The  ...

Is the extra bracing that you're referring to now included in the stock HT3?  If I get the cap upgrade, will I get any less bracing than if I didn't get the cap upgrade?

pugs

Upgrade priorities?
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2005, 04:57 am »
Quote from: Marbles

It should be noted the brace I'm talking about was not one originally designed in the HT3, but was going to be added at my request after a knuckle wrap test at AKfest.  The  ...

Is the extra bracing that you're referring to now included in the stock HT3?  If I get the cap upgrade, will I get any less bracing than if I didn't get the cap upgrade?

Marbles

Upgrade priorities?
« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2005, 02:26 pm »
Quote from: pugs

#1, I don't know, you will have to ask Jim.

I wanted an extra brace behind and near the bottom of the woofer. Jim had no problem with me getting one until he saw the size of the caps.

The caps took up the room where the extra bracing would have gone.

#2 see number 1

If you get the cap upgrade you will at least get the HT3 braced as it was originally designed, no less.

I always go for overbuilt.

Maybe Jim can come up with a way to have the extra brace and the upgraded caps now that he has had more time to think about it.