Amadeus EATs belts...

bernie_f

• Laissez les bons temps rouler
Amadeus EATs belts...
« on: 28 Oct 2012, 09:38 pm »
Hi.
My trusty Amadeus (very early version with damping board) startet to kill belts in vastly decreasing intervals. From two years to six months it is down to three months now. Whats going on? Am i alone?

Have a nice day anyway
bernie

SteevA

Re: Amadeus EATs belts...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2012, 08:15 pm »
Is the platter still coming up to speed in the same time as it used to? 

If it is getting harder to accelerate then there will be increased slippage at the motor pulley, while it comes up to speed, which would increase wear on the belt/thread.  First thing I would be doing is checking for bearing wear.

Steve

gagamut

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2012, 03:51 am »
Hi Bernie,

i think my version(WTA GTA) is same as yours,but i haven't got any problem,may be you can recheck you setting again?

Sam

gagamut

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:47 am »
Hi Bernie,

just want to know,,did you turn it off the turntable every time when you listen the LP to other LP??

Sam

bernie_f

• Laissez les bons temps rouler
« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2012, 08:26 pm »
Thanks a lot for your suggestions and kind help.
I always keep the TT running whem i am changing/turnig records. I always did. I will check the bearing and the oil-level. Maybe the oil is too low and the top bearing ran dry...More friction, more belts.

best wishes
bernie

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2012, 08:38 pm »
I think your belt is just too loose.  it's a fine line getting it right.  I put a WT made belt on last night and it was quite tight, the platter sure spins up fast now.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2012, 09:29 pm »
Have you checked with Mike Pranka about this? He is always very helpful in my experience.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2012, 10:36 pm »
Why would you ever keep your table on when you are changing a record? An accident waiting to happen. I've never owned a table that was prone to failure because I turned the table on and off between the records. This action puts stress on the motor, the belt and the pulley alignment and is simply not required.

Wayner

SteevA

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2012, 11:20 pm »
I have always leave tt spinning when changing records, even when using a dd which spins up a.lot faster than my Versalex. Only exception is my SL10 which turns itself off when I lift the lid.

A loose belt could well be the problem as it could just as much slip as a sticky bearing.

Steve

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2012, 11:24 pm »
"Why would you ever keep your table on when you are changing a record?"
Wayner at show record changing with spinning platters is done all of the time.  Some tables take a while to get going and actually need a llittle  help. Heck my well tempered classic's belt and pully and platter need regular wiping to improve grip and start up time.

drubin

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:04 pm »
Why would you ever keep your table on when you are changing a record? An accident waiting to happen. I've never owned a table that was prone to failure because I turned the table on and off between the records. This action puts stress on the motor, the belt and the pulley alignment and is simply not required.
Wayner, you seem to be saying two different things. Can you clarify your position?

vortrex

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2012, 03:01 pm »
I agree with Wayne in the case of the Amadeus.  I did hot swaps when I had my VPI Classic because that table is powerful enough to mow your lawn.  With the .004" thread belt on the WT I shut it off on each swap.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2012, 04:11 pm »
I don't own a WT table but if the belt really is just a .004" thread I would have to agree with Wayner.  Whenever you grab the record, you're immediately changing the speed of the platter which is essentially sharply jerking the belt.  Depending on the material used, the result would be either a stretched or broken belt very quickly.  I don't think DDs, rims or idlers would have any problem dealing with hot swapping.  As for the OP, I have no other advice, aside from what's already been mentioned, as to why it's happening more frequently.  Lower quality belt material now?

threadkiller

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2012, 06:00 pm »
You don't need to turn a WT off to change records. Unless a particular record has a poorly drilled hole.
Many tables are also designed to not be stopped - Rega, Linn.  They claim it's hard on the motor.

OP, could be the belt is loose to start with?

Remember to always check speed when you replace a belt.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2012, 06:04 pm »
The diameter of the platter of the Well Tempered Classic is slightly smaller than an LP whereas the diameter of the Well Tempered Lab tables platter is larger than an LP and as such it is easier grabbing an LP off the WTC than the WTL I would think causing less speed changing.  Of course I use the screw on record clamp and have to stop the WTC when changing records whereas the WTL does not use a record clamp.   

threadkiller

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2012, 06:29 pm »
Very true.  When I had the Classic and Ref, always that damn clamp. So happy I don't deal with those any more.

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2012, 09:15 pm »
Wayner, you seem to be saying two different things. Can you clarify your position?

IMHO, putting a record on or taking it off with the motor running is hard on the entire TT drive train. You are going to affect the motor/belt by doing so. If you use a clamp, this will also be a problem.

I used to jump off my bike when it was still going when I was a kid, and it ended up crashing. So, to that end, I don't change CDs when the cd player is still going, I don't change RTR tapes with the tape deck still going....I think you get my point.

Owning several dozen tables at one time or another, it never occurred to me to leave the table on when changing a record. I guess it just goes against my common sense of how things should be done.

But, whatever......

Wayner

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2012, 09:18 pm »
IMHO,
Wayner
I'd like to see your not so humble opinion.   :lol:

threadkiller

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2012, 09:26 pm »
Lol.     
I'm sure the folks at Linn would love to set him straight...