Driver socket help

morganc

Driver socket help
« on: 15 Jun 2022, 04:05 am »
Hey guys.  I have a Carver Crimson red that I just sold and the buyer said the driver socket won't allow the 12AX7 to be fully inserted.  I never noticed this but perhaps I bent it removing the Tube?  The Tube goes in enough to function but is only partially in. Any easy and safe tips to remedy this?  It's a new Amp and sockets looked perfect before this. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Driver socket help
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2022, 05:00 am »
Hey guys.  I have a Carver Crimson red that I just sold and the buyer said the driver socket won't allow the 12AX7 to be fully inserted.  I never noticed this but perhaps I bent it removing the Tube?  The Tube goes in enough to function but is only partially in. Any easy and safe tips to remedy this?  It's a new Amp and sockets looked perfect before this.
Hard to say without a photo, the sockets do not bend, only the tubes pins, in last case send him a new tube or Teflon socket.
https://www.goodcomponent.com/products/vacuum-tube-soket/teflon-tube-sockets/9pin-b9a-teflon-tube-socket-for-12ax712at712au7el846dj86922-gzc9-d1-g-433.html
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2022, 08:16 am by FullRangeMan »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2022, 10:45 am »
I had a Crimson 275 for a bit and it came with socket savers for the signal tubes.
Is he using gold pins?  They may be too fat to fully seat.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2022, 04:02 pm »
Ask him to text you a closeup pic of the socket from above, and also the tube pins so you can see if there's any damage or if he just needs to push harder with a little wiggle. If it's in focus and well lit you can zoom in like a microscope.

He can also video while he tries to insert so you can see what's happening.

I think the tube pins would bend on removal before the socket contacts could be damaged.

Try a different 9 pin tube in the socket.