Speaker negative wires connected

Geworthomd

Speaker negative wires connected
« on: 28 May 2022, 07:31 pm »
I also posted this in SS. I am looking at a hybrid. Does anyone have any calculation for wattage increase when the speaker out negatives are connected. This does not make it mono /bridged. Any experience doing this and any negative side effects?  I need more ooomph. My only other possibility is bi-amping and use this for my tweeter and midrange though that would mean turning up two volume controls and balancing their output. I am placing this in this forum because I am specifically looking for a hybrid for sound quality. Maybe someone can tell me if they have experience with doing this on a pure tube amp or a hybrid?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Speaker negative wires connected
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2022, 08:29 pm »
Yes I have some experience in brdging stereo amps when I bridged an Musical Fidelity amp from a friend and exploded the output stage, só I learned not every amp may be bridged,  it depends on the circuit.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2022, 10:34 pm by FullRangeMan »

Geworthomd

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2022, 09:03 pm »
Thank you. In my quest I was only tying negatives together so technically not bridged. The best I could come up with was a doubling of speaker voltage. Added, that would only yield a 3db gain and nothing on the internet how that might change sound quality. Technically speaking, it would be theoretically different than bridging. I’m only just learning about this so please take my words with a grain of salt :)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2022, 10:38 pm »
If you can do that experiment please keep us updated.

Geworthomd

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2022, 12:32 am »
Lol. Kaboom!  Ya, would not recommend it lol (kidding)