FS: Don Allen 807 SET Amp @@SOLD@@

gelajoy

FS: Don Allen 807 SET Amp @@SOLD@@
« on: 30 May 2015, 06:14 pm »
I'm re-configuring my main system and I'm selling my Don Allen 807 SET amplifier with a great set of tubes.

Here are some comments from Don Allen 807 fans on Audio Asylum:

"The 807 single-ended-tetrode/pentode is more-delineated than most 300B SETs I've heard, and has almost the same power capability - about seven watts. This is the single-ended amp for those who prefer transparency of conventional tube or solid-state design. Yet also has a lot of the "you-are-there palpability" that is associated with true DHT designs."

"I think we can take from below that more power might be better a greater percentage of the time. I know my Fostex FE166ES-Rs like more power and sound better with it too. 2A3 wasn't enough so I didn't bother with 45. 300b is just fine and the Art Audio Diavolo and Jota really make them sing. But, if you want 300b power with a 45ish DHT sound (as reported by someone with Don Allen 45 and 807 amps), contact Don Allen and chat with him about his 807 amp. The gentleman I spoke with that turned me on to the 807 amp ranked Don Allen's amps (according to his tastes) in this order: 45, 807, 6W6 PP and cakepan. He didn't care for 300b. I have 300B and 807 and they're both great."

"Nice amp and you are correct the 807 is indirectly heated and its actually a 6L6GC with a top cap and different pin arrangement and yes it does have DHT character."

"Yes, I have Don's full-blown 807 amp with 807s, OD3s and 6BQ7s, and the signature, back-lit lightning bolt. The amp is just wonderful to hear and to observe, especially those OD3s at night. A ccording to Don, he was very impressed with the amp he built for me and decided to build one for himself."

Arthur Salvatore of High End Audio had this to say on his blog:

"DON ALLEN AMPLIFIERS

"I've never heard of these amps, but the same reader who liked the Wavelength Cardinals (in October above), went "crazy" over them. So have a number of other audiophiles who post at Audio Asylum (SET). Here's the letter with some slight editing:

"...the absolute finest amps I've heard recently are being made by Don Allen of Phoenix, Arizona. He makes them all: 45, 1626 Darlings, 2A3, PX25, 300b's, EL 84 all for very reasonable prices ($1700-2000 for a stereo, $2200-2600 for monoblocks!!!). His $1700 2A3 amps blew Gordon's Wavelength Cardinals out of the water!!! Better resolution, better dynamics (yup, that's right!), better frequency extension.

Go to the Audio Asylum's SET page and type in "Don Allen"......see what people are saying. The guy is a genius! His trade mark is a lightening bolt on the front of his amps that is backlit at night! (you can get the amps plain as well....) He uses good stuff (James, Tango, Tamura iron; NOS caps and tubes)...This guy amkes amps that high end manufactureers can only dream about. They're that good."

"Personal Notes- I read some of the enthusiastic experiences posted on the SET Asylum, and can verify the reader's observations. The prices appear to be very reasonable to me, with little risk involved. There is no contact information or website URL. To contact Allen, you must make a request to a SET member, such as Todd Kreiger, and he will send you the information directly by e-mail."

"I later asked this same reader for more clarification on the Don Allen amplifiers, especially how they compared to the best from Wavelength, and here is his reply to me:"

"Are they better than Gordon's? Well.......that's saying a lot if its true. What I will say is that Don Allen amps are sonically just as good, including a comparison to Gordon's Jupiter 50s and 45s which most people feel are Gordon's best amps. BUT remember, Gordon's amps cost 4-10 times the cost of Don Allen's amps! So if considering a cost/performance ratio in any comparison, its not even close!

"This isn't my opinion, its the opinion of a growing number of people as you can see on the Audio Asylum. I suggest you contact Todd Krieger, a highly respected Audio Asylum member and audiophile, who has several of Don's amps and knows Don quite well. You can find Todd's moniker (his name) on the Audio Asylum in the SET section."

"The nice thing about Don Allen is that he doesn't simply go out and buy super expensive parts and throw them together, claiming to make a world class amp. Instead, he very carefully researches the synergy between a wide variety of components and transformers, usually with the help of 6-8 local audionuts in the Phoenix area. In the process, Don may select less expensive or more esoteric iron and other components, NOT based on price but on performance and design criteria."

"Once Don and his band of merrymakers agree that a prototype amp (or preamp or phonostage) has "spoken to God", Don offers the amps to the public. The end products speak for themselves. I'm not 100% sold on his signature "lightening bolts" (he offers amps without them) but I'm willing to look past the bolts and enjoy the music."

"Personal Note- I endorse the method Allen uses to design his electronics, particularly his reaching out to the local Phoenix audiophiles for help and confirmation. This is a proven method to get outstanding results and avoid mistakes. The more I hear about Don Allen's amplifiers, the more I am intrigued about them."

I'm including two pairs of RCA 807 NOS tubes, two pairs of 7C7 JAN NOS tubes, a NOS RCA 12AU7 tube, and a NOS RCA 6BY5GA rectifier tube. These tubes should last you a good long time.

I'm asking $645 plus shipping for the Don Allen 807 amp plus tubes. All reasonable offers will be considered. I accept PayPal but the buyer is responsible for paying their fees. I also accept USPS money orders. I will only ship within the US.

I have 100% feedback on Ebay as Gelajoy with an 800+ rating.

Please check out my other ads for DecWare SE84C+ amp, Equi-Tech Balanced Power Supply, Synergistic Research TS cable with Galileo MPC, Jena Labs Twin 11 speaker cables and Audio Closet clear out.

« Last Edit: 31 May 2015, 03:23 am by gelajoy »