Atmos speakers to pair with Songtowers

divisionbell77

Atmos speakers to pair with Songtowers
« on: 24 Nov 2017, 06:30 pm »
Hey guys, been thinking about getting some Atmos speakers.  Has anyone added any to their Songtowers that make a good match up in both sound and foot print on top of the Songtowers?

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Re: Atmos speakers to pair with Songtowers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2017, 07:57 pm »
I don't think it matters too much what you use since almost everything sent to the atmos channels are effects and maybe a little music. If there's any dialogue it's minimal. Unless you're doing multichannel audio. I would just look for something that has a soft dome tweeter so that it doesn't sound radically different than the STs. For the money I've heard these RSL speakers are a great deal:

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

You can also get in ceiling/wall speakers from LSA that use a soft dome and seem to be a decent value.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2017, 09:20 pm »
Here's what I learned the hard way. I put ceiling Atmos speakers in and they are too close to become diffuse and give the air you need. I switched, painfully running additional wires, to Elac Atmos upfiring speakers and that was the solution. When I sat through the demo, twice, at RMAF, I asked about why my setup was not delivering the same performance. Demonstrator explained by distance was too short. I could literally stand in the back of that room and experience how the sound enveloped you, so right there I decided to get two pairs of the small angled  Atmos speakers and they work fantastic. I am doing 5.2.4 and I put the Atmos speakers right on top of the front towers and right on the side surrounds. Bought the Atmos demo disc on Ebay they used at RMAF and was wowed after I let the Yamaha run its set-up.
Very cool.

divisionbell77

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2017, 11:34 pm »
Here's what I learned the hard way. I put ceiling Atmos speakers in and they are too close to become diffuse and give the air you need. I switched, painfully running additional wires, to Elac Atmos upfiring speakers and that was the solution. When I sat through the demo, twice, at RMAF, I asked about why my setup was not delivering the same performance. Demonstrator explained by distance was too short. I could literally stand in the back of that room and experience how the sound enveloped you, so right there I decided to get two pairs of the small angled  Atmos speakers and they work fantastic. I am doing 5.2.4 and I put the Atmos speakers right on top of the front towers and right on the side surrounds. Bought the Atmos demo disc on Ebay they used at RMAF and was wowed after I let the Yamaha run its set-up.
Very cool.

Those are the ones I was looking at!  Thanks!

JDoyle

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2017, 12:44 am »
Very cool.

Yes, more info (and pics) please... What Yammi AVR do you have?  :D

Thx in advance

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2017, 01:37 pm »
Next week I can take photos. Waiting on new carpet so room is dismantled right now.

Yamaha RX A2060 plays Atmos so I am happy. Oppo 203 player. Rythmik and Elac subs. Vienna Acoustics fronts.

JonnyFive

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2017, 02:20 pm »
Very cool.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I have an 8' 4" tall flat ceiling, so I have definitely thought about going this route when the time comes for Atmos.  The thought of drilling holes in the ceiling for in-ceiling speakers, running wires, and then finding out that the benefit was marginal at best is my real concern.  The little upfiring modules would be a super easy way to do Atmos, maybe I'll give that another round of thought.

JDoyle

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2017, 06:20 pm »
B.R.M.,  In your opinion, If I used the Elacs up front on my (soon to come) Encore mains as you have it and then tied the rears into two Klipsch KG-1's that I have mounted on the walls (up high, maybe 6" from the ceiling), would that ruin the effect? 

I'm not exactly sure what comes out of these Atmos speakers, I'm assuming just effects...  :scratch:

I know I could just go to the two up front, but I figured the two rear side firing Klipsch would be no worse than the ceiling versions (?).

Unfortunately, I can't do the rear elacs at a lower height.

Thanks!  :thumb:

JD

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2017, 07:21 pm »
There is quite a bit of content in the Atmos speakers. Surprising amounts. If you only give them 6 inches I suppose that could work. Maybe a diffuser on the ceiling over each one would boost the dispersion.

I'm trying to set up my Elac sub today and if I finish I'll take some room photos.
My Atmos are about 4 feet from the ceiling. I set them right on top of the side surrounds.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2017, 02:51 am »
Some quick photos. Just got the system re-installed and the new chairs placed with bass shakers attached. New Elac 12 inch sub is pretty cool with its onboard calibration software. Paired with a Rythmik 10 inch.

Velcro strap is extra insurance that someone doesn't knock the Atmos speaker off the surround speaker even though I have cabinet rubber bumpers between them.

It really sounds fantastic. Way better than my old 7.2 theater in Detroit. Atmos is the real deal. Even the music in the soundtracks is fantastic. Two subs blows you out especially with the bass shakers.

JDoyle

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2017, 10:53 pm »
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.  :D

What's that demo disk that you mentioned?

Thanks,

JD

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2017, 02:38 am »
Dolby Atmos Demo - Blu-Ray Disc Sept 2016

About $75 on Ebay.