My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

TheMooN

What an awesome piece of work , a reference for the inquiringly minded cap roller .

I hope thread contributors are OK with my asking for a little help ! I purchased 4 x 0.33 uf Ampohm copper caps new retail a while back  , only later bringing them out of the store bin for use in a much put off re-cap project .

Somewhat to my dismay it would appear that i must have acquired a Friday afternoon batch as one of the batch whilst labeled 0.33uf as per its friends actually measures 0.68 uf ?***!

Having periodically checked back with the UK dist it would appear pointless waiting for any further production during this life time and would be grateful for any advise as to an alternative substitute copper foil capacitor that might prove to provide as close balance the signature across the two channels as I could expect from a disparate quad .

The caps in question are coupling caps for 6L6 GC's and inside a global feedback network .

Any and All direction most gratefully received folks .

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
What an awesome piece of work , a reference for the inquiringly minded cap roller .

I hope thread contributors are OK with my asking for a little help ! I purchased 4 x 0.33 uf Ampohm copper caps new retail a while back  , only later bringing them out of the store bin for use in a much put off re-cap project .

Somewhat to my dismay it would appear that i must have acquired a Friday afternoon batch as one of the batch whilst labeled 0.33uf as per its friends actually measures 0.68 uf ?***!

Having periodically checked back with the UK dist it would appear pointless waiting for any further production during this life time and would be grateful for any advise as to an alternative substitute copper foil capacitor that might prove to provide as close balance the signature across the two channels as I could expect from a disparate quad .

The caps in question are coupling caps for 6L6 GC's and inside a global feedback network .

Any and All direction most gratefully received folks .

Tubestore still has stock:

http://thetubestore.com/ampohmpio-copper.html

TheMooN

Ah !  I should have mentioned my location In my OP Dave  , thank you for that pointer unfortunately  I am 'Over The Pond' from you . Worthy of consideration tho .

I had hopes of the Deulund Alexanders , however at 30mm I fear they would prove too Lardy for my amp chassis , realistically I am looking at  25mm or slimmer !   

Audioexcels

I have a new champion cap, at least in my system as DC blocking input caps on my DIY monoblock power amps.

These are nearly the highest rated caps in Tony Gee's comprehensive review of caps in crossover duty.  Since I was looking for something less expensive than the best Mundorf, VCap, Dueland, etc., I thought I'd give these a try. 

Intertechnik Audyn True Copper is not available from a US distributor, so I ordered directly from the factory in Germany.  If someone is smart, they'll snap up the distribution rights in North America.  Although they're relatively inexpensive compared to other premium caps, shipping alone added more than $20.

Still worth every penny.  In fact, they might be the best bargain in caps out there, being the lowest price cap I could find that uses polypro film and true copper foil.  They are very dense.  These are the best caps I've heard in my system, including Mundorf Silver/Gold.  They are tonally pure, with excellent spatial representation and startling dynamics.  Midrange is clear and accurate, very present yet an integral part of the complete sonic image.  Vocals are uncannily realistic.  Highs are sweet yet detailed, with no coloration at any frequency that I can detect.  Nothing sounds forward or emphasized.  I hear only a totally realistic presentation of music, projected from a real space into a thoroughly convincing sphere of a soundstage.

If anyone cares to experiment, I'd like corroboration of this cap's superiority to most others available.

Peace,
Tom E

Bypass use or?  Curious what caps you use these to bypass with.

Cheers!

TheMooN

I would be most interested to hear from any member who has first hand experience of comparing Ampohm Copper's with Audio Note Copper's .

I am wondering whether any sonic disparity between the two might be ameliorated to the point of insignificance were I to run with a pair of Ampohm's in one channel of my integrated amp and pair the other Ampohm with an AN in the second channel  :scratch:

Any thoughts on this Franken-Plan would be much appreciated .       

madisonears

"Bypass use or?  Curious what caps you use these to bypass with."

I thought I was pretty clear in my description.  These are DC blocking input caps in my amplifiers.  No bypass.  I have never liked the sound of bypass caps in line level signal path.  I have never heard two caps blend satisfactorily, and it always sseems to ssmear the highs.

Speaker xovers are a totally different story.  When large value caps are required, bypassing is almost mandatory to control costs, and usually successful.  The best I've found are Mundorf SIO.  They are superb as small value bypass with caps in series with the tweeter.  Used elsewhere, I find they tend to "tip up" the frequency response and  weaken the bass.  With tweeters, their best qualities, clarity and spaciousness, can make highs sound detailed and 3D with realistic tonality.

Peace,
Tom E

wushuliu

Just bypassed Sonicap Gen 1s in my speaker xo w/ Vishay MKP1837. So far I am very impressed and think the humblehomemadhifi cap test review is right on - it opens the sound up and cleans some of the grain, impressive separation of instruments and micro-detail. Had Gen II bypasses before which were fine, more subtle than anything but the 1837 elevates the performance of the Gen I. Not the treble-enhaced brightness that some bypasses cause but real step up in retrieval and presentation. I am using .1uf now available from Mouser! Not bad for $1.30. Think I'm going to buy more...  8)

Oh and the Gen I caps are *great* caps imo - poor man's clarity cap mr...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Just bypassed Sonicap Gen 1s in my speaker xo w/ Vishay MKP1837. So far I am very impressed and think the humblehomemadhifi cap test review is right on - it opens the sound up and cleans some of the grain, impressive separation of instruments and micro-detail. Had Gen II bypasses before which were fine, more subtle than anything but the 1837 elevates the performance of the Gen I. Not the treble-enhaced brightness that some bypasses cause but real step up in retrieval and presentation. I am using .1uf now available from Mouser! Not bad for $1.30. Think I'm going to buy more...  8)

Oh and the Gen I caps are *great* caps imo - poor man's clarity cap mr...

I ran those as a bypass for my SET amp's output tubes cathode caps for a while, they made for a huge improvement. I changed them out for Clarity ESA 250V 1.5 uF caps, they made a very subtle change for the better. Those 1837s are a great value for sure though.

------------------------

I also changed out a Mundorf M Tube Cap in my amp's PS for a Clarity TC series cap and I think the Clarity is a hair better. Not really worth changing out except I got a good deal on the Clarity caps.

I changed out the final electrolytic PS caps in my Aikido preamp for 110 uF Clarity TC caps and this was a MASSIVE improvement. These Clarity TC caps are a must-have for any tube amp/preamp's power supply. 

bardamu

Hello,
Normally i just post in the virtue circle but because that circle is running on 3 wheels i decided to post my question here.
I am about to receive some k75-10 and ft-3 caps to use in my elipson loudspeaker crossover and my sensation amp. I did read about determining the outer foil without using a scope. It was done by connecting the capacitor between hot and ground at an amplifier injputterminal and touching the cap to '' stimulate '' some kind of interference. Less noise would mean that the side connected to the ground side would be the outer foil. Is this correct and would connecting at a line level input be sufficient or do i need a more sensitive one?
Apart from the caps arriving soon i also have the ft-3 600 volts ( i think the ft-2 200 volts would be better because they are smaller and being used in a transistor class d integrated the tension needed is low ,now using a 63 volts polysterene)  and the k40y-9.
The k75-10 will be used in the crossover maybe with a 100nf ft-2 as bypass.
Because i am not a native English speaker nor a technician i would like some guidance ( if i did misunderstood the way to find the outerfoil)
Thanksalot in advance, Edward

peter61

Hi Edward,

Because I own an oscilloscope I have never used the way you describe to determine the outer foil of a capacitor, but it will work for sure. Connect the capacitor to a RCA plug and connect it to a line input of your pre-amp. Start with the volume control way down and turn it up until you hear some hum while holding the capacitor under test in your hand (to induce some hum). Then reverse the capacitor connections and observe the hum again (with the volume control at the same point off course). The least hum is heard when the outer foil is connected to the ground.

Peter

peter61

Recently I did some tests with Russian PIO capacitors that might be interesting for others.

First I did some measurements using an oscilloscope to determine the outer foil of some K40Y,  K75-10 and K75-24 capacitors. In total I tested 33 capacitors of 5 different values and found to my astonishment that, while observing the printed text on the capacitor, the outer foil is not always at the same side! All tested types/values had outer foils on either side. In my batch about 75% of the capacitors had the outer foil on the side where the text starts, the others at the side where the text stops.

Additional I did some listening tests with K75-10 2u2/250V caps. Not as coupling caps, but as power supply bypasses. I placed them in parallel with the main PSU filter caps directly after the rectifiers of my Buffalo III test setup. The question was, is it possible to hear differences between both orientations of the capacitor? Well actually this was very easy to determine. But again the results were not what I expected. I expected the best sonic results with the outer foil connected to GND, thus shielding the inner of the capacitor to the outer world. But the opposite is true. With the outer foil connected to the + or – there is better focus, dynamics and tonality.

Another funny thing I notice again and again is that the specific sonic properties of a certain type of capacitor when used as coupling cap, also shows up when used as power supply bypass. So the rich and tuneful character of K75 also shows up when used as bypass capacitor.

Peter

bardamu

Hello Peter and all the others,
Thank you for the extra confirmation on the outer foil issue.
Like i said before I will have some Russian caps soon. K40y and ft-2 100nf as cap in my Virtue sensation for the 80hertz and up frequency range.
In my elipson speaker there is a filter for the tweeter with a 18 db filter with two caps in serie one 4 microfarad and one 4,7 microfarad. For the 4 i will use 4 1 microfarad in parallel and for the 4,7 i will use a single4,7 . Both values will be k75-10 caps. Maybe bypassed with 100nf ft-2. I will match them and try to find the outer foil. The original caps are one metalized polyester and one metalized polypropylene. I am looking for a more spatial and involving sound.We will see what the improvement will be once they arrive. Maybe i will burn them in by connecting them in a power supply.
Peter, Thanks again for the advicer, Edward
P.s any additional thoughts are always welcome

ptmconsulting

Just received 4 x 1.0uF K40Y's for use in my speaker crossover. They will be paired with Sonicaps to make up the 5.0uF and 10.0 uF values that I need in there.

The 1.0's are the largest values I saw on e-bay and should be more then sufficient to carry off what I am hoping for - more of a sense of space and warmth and naturalness.

They are installed and breaking in now. I do definitely hear more space and a natural lack of extension during the break in process. More time is needed.

bardamu

Hello,
If you need 10. Ehy not go for the 10 microfarad k75-10. Some people say they are very nice, nicer than the k40y. Maybe you will have to buy a few to match them. Or ask the shop to match them. Somer people bypass them with a little teflon. Sincere greetings, Edward

peter61

Edward,

After you have found where outer foil is, try both orientations of the capacitor and see what you like best. I am sure they will sound different.
Also let them “burn in”. A few days ago I replaced out of curiosity a 2,2uF K75-10 capacitor that I had used for a few weeks, for one of the same batch that had not been used yet. The used one sounded clearly better. It was like the effect of cleaning your spectacles.

Peter

bardamu

Hello Peter,
For my Virtue sensation i will use the 100nf. For my crossover there is 4 microfarad and then 4,7 microfarad. In between them is a coil to ground. Bot caps are in series with the tweeter which startys at 3000 hertz if i am right.
The caps used now aren''t high grade so i expect an improvement.
It will be a days work to replace the caps so i would like to know if the outerfoil has to be closer to the tweeter or closer to the amp? At first i like the sound to be melodic and spatial. More detail isn't that important to me.
The 4 microfarad will be made by joining 4 1 microfarad. Maybe use two of them in reverse. Or use the 4,7 in opposite direction compared to the 4 microfarad.
The caps have been send so i expect them in a few days. I will burn them in after determining the outerfoil for a few days. But you should burn them in in the same way you are going to use them if i am right.
as you can see in the image there will have to be some diy to replkace the two yellow caps by the Russian green ones. The 4 mf is connected to other parts on the vrossover. The 4,7 is connected to the tweeter by means of a 5 watt wirewound. Probably i will leave the 4,7 somewhere '' in space ''
We will see once they arrive, Edward
Don't wanna replace the the caps in the amp and the crossover at the same time. I think the cap used in my Virtue is better than the ones used in the crossover. It is a 50dollarcents surplus cap from a good company

Big Red Machine

Anybody try Duelands in their electronics as coupling caps?  (seems we're focused on speakers right now)

bardamu

Hello,
The Virtue sensation is an integrated class D amplifier with a 100 nf that will be changed soon. Normally there is a full range cap and a 80hertz and above cap which can be selected with an internal switch. Mine has the original 80hertz cap and my surplus cap ( 50 dollarcents)
I have the k40y-9, ft-3 600volts and the ft-2 200 volts. I wanna replace the original one with the ft-2 once they arrive here.
The picture is indeed a crossover but the cap has the same task.
Sincere greetings, Edward

Jerrin

Anybody try Duelands in their electronics as coupling caps?  (seems we're focused on speakers right now)

I've got a pair of Dodd amps being built right now that are using Duelund for all of the coupling caps.   When I get them in later this month, I'll post pics and share my impressions.

rpf

I've got a pair of Dodd amps being built right now that are using Duelund for all of the coupling caps.   When I get them in later this month, I'll post pics and share my impressions.

Please do. Having owned the Mono 50s, and having heard the 120s several times at a friends, I can imagine those will be amazing!  :drool: