Speaker cable for Encores

coach

Speaker cable for Encores
« on: 24 Jun 2022, 08:17 pm »
Hey Guys,
I'm about to be the proud owner of a pair of Salk Encores. My project is at 64%. But my question is for those that have the Encores, what speaker cable are you using? Mine will be hooked up an ATI amp, Modwright swl preamp, Denefrips Pontus, Innuos mini mk3 server. I was using a pair of Clear Day double shotgun on my old speakers (Usher6371) and have no problem keeping those in service. But is there anything that really makes the Encores shine?

DFpritchard

Re: Speaker cable for Encores
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2022, 08:44 pm »
I had the base Song3s not the Encore version.  Used an 11-foot run of Anticable 3.2 speaker cables terminated with banana plugs from a Wells Audio integrated.  Replaced the Wells with a Levinson No 585 but kept the Anticables.  Only issue I had with the Anticables I used is that they are VERY stiff.  Bought these as a demo pair 3 years ago and they are still coiled.  I think Jim has used (maybe still does use) Anticables at audio shows, along with the McGary amplification.  There must be a synergy between Anticables and Salk; I know JS has used Anticables to demo several of his speakers, most recently the BePure2.

The other things about Anticables that I find compelling are value and business practices.  Take a look at cables for sale on Audiogon or USAudiomart.  Notice how silly pricing has gotten and that there are not many Anticable products for sale.  As far as business practices, I love the way Paul Speltz conducts business.  Call Anticables, more often than not, Paul is the one answering the phone.  He is open, honest (asked about my system then talked me out of a more expensive cable) and very willing to share his experience.  In these regards, he reminds me of Jim Salk.

Much of this is off topic but I highly recommend taking a look at Anticable offerings.  Dollar for dollar, really hard to beat.  Don't forget to check the Clearance tab on his website.  Lots of demo stuff.

skidro

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2022, 10:55 pm »
I am also using 3.2 Anticables speaker wire as well as their 5 series interconnects with my McIntosh pre-amp and 452 amp to my Encores, and also because I saw that Jim Salk had used them in various audio shows with his speakers. I figured if he selected them for audio show demos that they had to be highly synergistic with his speakers. I absolutely love the sound and as mentioned above, the price is damn good for the performance delivered!! :thumb:

skidro

coach

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2022, 12:29 am »
I had never considered Anti-Cable. I've read a lot of good reviews about them. Thanks guys. They're on the list

whitey019

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2022, 02:39 pm »
Blue Jeans cable with ultrasonically-welded locking banana plugs

DFpritchard

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2022, 03:09 pm »
FWIW, I had the Bluejeans cables as described above.  Another great value.  Replaced these with the aforementioned Anticables 3.1 and found them a bit more open (larger soundstage) and focused.  Either would work but in my experience, the Anticables are a step above the Bluejean cables.  If economics is an issue. it should not be with these two.  As I recall, the Anticables 3.1/11 feet/banana termination cost me around $260 (bought these as a demo).  A bargain by any measure.  The Bluejean cables were about half that.  So, $100-300 seems reasonable for a $3K speaker that sounded more like a $6K speaker.

I also looked at the next step up in the Anticables line, the 5.1.  Unfortunately, the 5.1 is roughly 10X the cost of the 3.1.  To me, that was a bridge too far economically and in terms of diminishing return.  Good as the 5.1 may be, they are not 10X 'better' than the 3.1. 

In my application (No. 585 integrated and Luxman D-05u) and with my room and listening materials/habits, the 3.1 is a real sweet spot.

Hope this helps.   

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2022, 09:07 pm »
What version of the Anticables were used with Salk speakers at the shows?

All cable are system dependent. I tried the Dana Cable Onyx speaker cable and Dana USB in my AVA/Salk HT2-TL system and neither were a good match.

If the OP is thinking of the Anticable Level 5 or 6 price range then comparing them to the not yet released Hapa Audio speaker cable would be fun. Hapa has had tours of all their cables and Anticable has a 30 day return policy.

...For the X3's I'm a beta-tester for the new Hapa Audio speaker cable, which is phenomenal.

I use the Hapa Audio Quiescence Silver interconnects and Aero USB cable, and while not cheap their spacial qualities, smoothness and resolving ability without being bright or harsh is world class and surpass any cable I have ever heard.

coach

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2022, 11:36 pm »
WGH
Do you know if Hapa Audio will have a copper speaker cable. I looked at their web site and see that they do a little of both. My internets are in copper wire. That seems to be what Anti Cable does well. I've been using silver for a few years now with the Clear Day double shotgun. Looking for something else.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2022, 03:05 am »
WGH
Do you know if Hapa Audio will have a copper speaker cable.

Everything I know is in Tyson's short post, I'm not a Beta-tester for the speaker cables. (I would need an 8' and 4' run for anyone reading this  :wink: )

Contact Pez through his Hapa Circle or the website.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=45

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2022, 04:03 pm »
I am also a fan of AntiCables. I started with an entry level pair years ago with some songtowers. When I sold the speakers due to a move I sold them with the cables. Years later go back into 2-channel with Song3's. Tried a few different cables. Decided to go back to AC with the 2.1's or whatever the latest version was. Amazing sound vs what I had been using. Open, dynamic, detailed..... Decided to try the level 3 cables (whatever the latest version is) and they got even better with more, better defined bass. Then I read about the "Schroeder Method" and decided to try it with the AC's. I took my level 2 speaker cables that were banana's and the level 3 that were spades and ran both at the same time from my amp to speaker, and the sound got even fuller, but it was kind of a mess running two sets of cables. So I contacted Paul Speltz and asked him if I sent him my level 3's could he twist them with another pair of 3's to make a special "level 4" cable. He said no problem but we needed a heavy duty banana or spade because the gauge is pretty thick and the cables are heavy. After we thought we found the right banana, I received them a plugged them in, but the banana wasn't strong enough and it literally broke apart in seconds. So I sent them back to Paul and he put some heavy duty copper spades on them, maybe even welded them. Anyway, once I got them back and hooked them up it was amazing. Even more depth and bass, but not 2x as good. More like a 10% increase in performance. Anyway, I moved again last year and needed longer cables. I decided to try a bunch of different cables including Audioquest Robinhood, Audience, etc. Some of these cost almost $2000. I don't think they're that much, if any, better than the "level 4" cables. I was going to have Paul build me another longer set, but I did get a killer deal on some Transparent cables that usually sell for over $2k and I'm enjoying them right now, so staying put (for now). But, I do recommend the AC's and I think they're one of the best value's in HiFi.

Another great cable I came across is the Zavfino Prima MKII OCC speaker cable. This is a 9 gauge OCC copper cable. Excellent build quality and sound.  I think these sound as good or better than Audioquest Robinhood or Kimber Monocle XL that I tried. A little darker sounding than the AntiCables, but full, smooth and dynamic. If your speakers tend to run a touch bright or lean these are a great cable to try. Do some research on these. Price has gone up (like everything else  :roll: since I bought mine), but still an excellent value IMO.

coach

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2022, 04:25 pm »
Abd1
The Audioquest Robinhood is one of the cables I was considering. What was your impression with the Song 3's. I don't need to hear the engineers behind the glass in the studio, but I do like hearing the studio or whatever venue the recording comes from.  I will do some reading on the Zavfino as I'm doing on the Anti Cables. I'm a jazz and classical guy. I stream, play records and cd's. Don't know when the speakers will be ready, and I'll be using what I have on hand in the beginning. Thanks for the reply.

Gyosa

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2022, 12:06 am »
I’m using Kimber Kable on my Supercharged Songtowers.

Bk

coach

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2022, 12:32 pm »
Which Kimber's are you using?

c_note

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2022, 02:31 pm »
Coach, you may want to consider Mogami 3104 speaker cables from Take Five Audio.  Mogami is the cable of choice in recording studios around the world.  Take Five cryogenically treats their cables and custom terminates per your instructions, including top-of-the-line Furutech connectors if you so choose (at additional expense, of course).  Build quality is outstanding.  They can be bi-wired if you need this configuration.  Standard configuration is 9 gauge, so much more wire than 12 and 14 gauge offerings elsewhere.  I've been in this hobby for over 30 years and tried a lot of cables, Mogami's price/performance ratio will be hard to beat.

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/1381-mogami-3104-deluxe-deep-cryo-treated/

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2022, 03:57 pm »
Abd1
The Audioquest Robinhood is one of the cables I was considering. What was your impression with the Song 3's. I don't need to hear the engineers behind the glass in the studio, but I do like hearing the studio or whatever venue the recording comes from.  I will do some reading on the Zavfino as I'm doing on the Anti Cables. I'm a jazz and classical guy. I stream, play records and cd's. Don't know when the speakers will be ready, and I'll be using what I have on hand in the beginning. Thanks for the reply.

I didn't dislike the AQ Robinhoods, just thought they weren't worth the $$$. I used them briefly with the Song3's but they spent more time with my Cube Nenuphar Mini's, which are more sensitive and I felt better suited with a 14 gauge cable. FYI, I sent you a pm you may be interested in.

maxima95

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2022, 04:31 pm »

abd1 - Are the Zavfino Prima MKII speaker cables stiff or unwieldy?

Thanks.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2022, 05:55 pm »
abd1 - Are the Zavfino Prima MKII speaker cables stiff or unwieldy?

Thanks.

They're thick and heavy for cables, but not unwieldy. They're not any harder to work with than the Robinhoods, but a bit heavier. I use wood blocks at the back of my amp to help support heavier cables like the Zavfino's, Anticables (especially the "4.1" cables I had made) and even the Robinhoods.

maxima95

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jun 2022, 12:32 am »
Thank you abd1.

Gyosa

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2022, 02:29 am »
Which Kimber's are you using?

Ascent 4TC ….

I’m not a believer in mega-buck cables …
Any “decent” cable will work just fine …

I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference between a “decent “ cable and a mega-buck cable .
Snake oil , in my opinion.

Bk

Randy

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2022, 04:49 pm »
FWIW, I had the Bluejeans cables as described above.  Another great value.  Replaced these with the aforementioned Anticables 3.1 and found them a bit more open (larger soundstage) and focused.  Either would work but in my experience, the Anticables are a step above the Bluejean cables.  If economics is an issue. it should not be with these two.  As I recall, the Anticables 3.1/11 feet/banana termination cost me around $260 (bought these as a demo).  A bargain by any measure.  The Bluejean cables were about half that.  So, $100-300 seems reasonable for a $3K speaker that sounded more like a $6K speaker.

I also looked at the next step up in the Anticables line, the 5.1.  Unfortunately, the 5.1 is roughly 10X the cost of the 3.1.  To me, that was a bridge too far economically and in terms of diminishing return.  Good as the 5.1 may be, they are not 10X 'better' than the 3.1. 

In my application (No. 585 integrated and Luxman D-05u) and with my room and listening materials/habits, the 3.1 is a real sweet spot.

Hope this helps.

Same experience here.  Blue Jeans which I thought were great, but on a whim I ordered a set of anticables 3.1. Case closed. The antis are superior in every way, at least sonically.