What classical music you listening to, luv?

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #180 on: 20 May 2010, 10:50 am »
Wonderful album!  More info on Amazon -- Paganini for Two.

Shaham and Söllscher's later album of Schubert works -- Schubert for Two -- may be even better.  It's one of my desert island discs.

Dave
Thanks Dave, that's now on my wish list.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #181 on: 20 May 2010, 01:01 pm »
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Mozart: Overtures, Masonic Funeral Music, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Otto Klemperer and New Philharmonia Orchestra on EMI Classics.

Hi Everyone,

Most Eine recordings out there are with bigger chamber ensembles.  Some years ago, I heard on radio WQXR in NYC one of their programs lead-in themes, using probably a quartet recording of the slow movement.  It was just wonderful, very serene and surreal, esp. heard late night, everything is dead quiet but the music.  I have had my eye out for a well-recorded quartet-type of chamber Eine recording.  Any suggestion?

Many thanks.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #182 on: 21 May 2010, 07:49 pm »
Pictures at an exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky 
Conductor:  Leonard Bernstein
Orchestra/Ensemble:  New York Philharmonic

Grabbed about 25 old Columbia and RCA Victor Red Label lps for $1 each, they appear to be in good shape, but a bit noisy, need to clean them.

Toon

« Reply #183 on: 23 May 2010, 11:26 am »
Hi Everyone,

Most Eine recordings out there are with bigger chamber ensembles.  Some years ago, I heard on radio WQXR in NYC one of their programs lead-in themes, using probably a quartet recording of the slow movement.  It was just wonderful, very serene and surreal, esp. heard late night, everything is dead quiet but the music.  I have had my eye out for a well-recorded quartet-type of chamber Eine recording.  Any suggestion?

Many thanks.

EKN was written to be performed by a string quartet plus double bass; when heard that way you realise how the big orchestrated versions crush the life out of the music. I own two versions by quartets, both from the '80s and both on period instruments I believe: the one by the Academy of Ancient Music/Hogwood on Florilegium (EKN is actually played by the Salomon Quartet) is gorgeous in every way (I used to think the sound was a bit bright, but the better my system's got the less it's an issue). The recording by members of the Drotningholm Ensemble on BIS sounds poor and is played rather charmlessly at an incomprehensibly fast pace. You'd think there must be newer quartet recordings, though ...

Mijknarf

« Reply #184 on: 23 May 2010, 12:27 pm »
Recently, I've been smitten by these simple Bach solo piano recordings.  Great audio quality to boot.

Murray Perahia - Bach Goldberg Variations

Murray Perahia- Bach Partitas 1, 5, 6

etcarroll

« Reply #185 on: 23 May 2010, 03:46 pm »
Beethoven: Moonlight, Pathtique & Appassionata Sonatas.

Rudolf Serkin (Artist)

From a flea market $1 special.

etcarroll

« Reply #186 on: 26 May 2010, 07:01 pm »
In preparation for my 2nd trip to the Orchestra this coming Saturday night, where one scheduled piece will be Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3;

jimdgoulding

« Reply #187 on: 26 May 2010, 07:45 pm »
Francesca de Rimini- a Chesky remaster of a Kenneth Wilkinson engineered recording.

etcarroll

« Reply #188 on: 30 May 2010, 03:09 pm »
So last night I went to the Phillie Symphony again, wanted to hear Rach's 3rd in this program;

MOZART - Symphony No. 39
SHENG - The Phoenix
RACHMANINOFF - Piano Concerto No. 3

Had never heard the Mozart piece, it was quite good, but I was there for the Rachmaninoff.

So this morning I dug out the album below, a $1 flea market special, cleaned it up in the sink with a soft brush, sound still a little iffy, but I think I prefer Tchaikovsky's Concerto No. 1 to what I heard last night.

Still, it's all good.

etcarroll

« Reply #189 on: 3 Jun 2010, 11:21 am »
Eugene Ormandy & The Philadelphia Orchestra / Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherazade

Another $1 flea market special, very nice!

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #190 on: 3 Jun 2010, 12:01 pm »
EKN was written to be performed by a string quartet plus double bass; when heard that way you realise how the big orchestrated versions crush the life out of the music. I own two versions by quartets, both from the '80s and both on period instruments I believe: the one by the Academy of Ancient Music/Hogwood on Florilegium (EKN is actually played by the Salomon Quartet) is gorgeous in every way (I used to think the sound was a bit bright, but the better my system's got the less it's an issue). The recording by members of the Drotningholm Ensemble on BIS sounds poor and is played rather charmlessly at an incomprehensibly fast pace. You'd think there must be newer quartet recordings, though ...

Thanks for your recommendation, I picked up a used Hogwood CD from Amazon.  Wonderful it is.  I also thought it's a bit bright, but it's not an issue.  I was surprised that the bass part has a very strong presence in at least the Romanze movement instead of a more "blended in" sensation.  No complaint there either.  There aren't many available played by a 5-instrument group.  May be this Hogwood "WAS" the one I heard.  Memory, no matter how unreliable, tells me that the QXR sound I heard was even more serene to the sense (the way the violin's vibrato comes through the radio).  This Hogwood one is probably the closest to the real deal.

Thanks again.   :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #191 on: 3 Jun 2010, 12:53 pm »
Cantate Domino (Proprius)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #192 on: 4 Jun 2010, 08:32 pm »
A.E.M Grétry: Sei Quartetti

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #193 on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:18 am »

Heard by Renee Fleming in Shanghai, and bass-baritone Shenyang was zipped over to Juilliard; just made his Met debut at the ripe old age of 27.  Some voice!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #194 on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:55 am »
The HDTT remaster of l'histoire Du Soldat at 24bit/96KHz.  This is the free HiRez download and a very live sounding 1958 tape master.  Very nice recording! :)

Toon

« Reply #195 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:38 am »
Thanks for your recommendation, I picked up a used Hogwood CD from Amazon.  Wonderful it is.  I also thought it's a bit bright, but it's not an issue.  I was surprised that the bass part has a very strong presence in at least the Romanze movement instead of a more "blended in" sensation.  No complaint there either.  There aren't many available played by a 5-instrument group.  May be this Hogwood "WAS" the one I heard.  Memory, no matter how unreliable, tells me that the QXR sound I heard was even more serene to the sense (the way the violin's vibrato comes through the radio).  This Hogwood one is probably the closest to the real deal.

Thanks again.   :thumb:

You're very welcome. Incidentally, strong vibrato in the violin sound is a feature of later periods; authentic performances like this one wouldn't use it.

As you enjoyed that, can I also recommend the AAM/Hogwood recording of the Mozart Clarinet and Oboe concertos (L'Oiseau Lyre 414339-2 1986). The former is his last and, many seem to agree, finest concerto ... and this is my favourite of the half-dozen versions I own.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #196 on: 7 Jun 2010, 12:35 pm »
You're very welcome. Incidentally, strong vibrato.........................

As you enjoyed that, can I also recommend the AAM/Hogwood recording of the Mozart Clarinet and Oboe concertos (L'Oiseau Lyre 414339-2 1986). The former is his last and, many seem to agree, finest concerto ... and this is my favourite of the half-dozen versions I own.

Thanks.  I understand the "period" instrument connotation Re: vibrato.  Instruments from the Baroque period are unique sounding for sure.

Shek

etcarroll

« Reply #197 on: 7 Jun 2010, 03:55 pm »
Holst: "The Planets"

Interesting sound processing via Phase 4 Stereo;

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #198 on: 7 Jun 2010, 06:40 pm »
Holst: "The Planets"

Interesting sound processing via Phase 4 Stereo;

Those Phase 4 recordings are still being made, believe it or not.  London must have sold the masters to this small independent company.  What they do is pair up 2 albums at a time on 1 CD, and selll for like $18 (around NYC area).  Wonder if it's available on Amazon.  If it's being made, someone should be selling it.  Will check out this P4 Holst.

etcarroll

« Reply #199 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:29 pm »
Another AC member gave me aprox 16 albums, including 6 DG titles pressed in Germany in great shape.