What classical music you listening to, luv?

eljr

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #3700 on: 10 Nov 2023, 10:33 pm »
J. S. Bach "The Well Tempered Clavier" complete       Wanda Landowska
RCA LM 6801   A 1958 mono box set.   

Although it's but excerpts might I recommend this modern recording which fuses both a wonderful performance with today's extrodinary recording value.

Randy

« Reply #3701 on: 10 Nov 2023, 10:56 pm »

I am sure we can all agree that this is magnificent in either Blu-ray or DVD.
[/quote]

Nope. It's mindless garbage.

eljr

« Reply #3702 on: 11 Nov 2023, 12:20 am »

I am sure we can all agree that this is magnificent in either Blu-ray or DVD.

Nope. It's mindless garbage.

Lol

The last couple posts here have given me a true belly laugh.
A magnificent presentation,  a brilliant composition, the most performed classical work and masterfully played by all and you call it mindless garbage.
My guess, you are a fan of death metal. Am I right?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3703 on: 11 Nov 2023, 12:31 am »
J. S. Bach "The Well Tempered Clavier" complete       Wanda Landowska
RCA LM 6801   A 1958 mono box set.   

I dont knew Wanda, looks a interesting performer, always liked the WTC.
Thanks.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #3704 on: 11 Nov 2023, 01:10 am »

Louise Farrenc - Symphony no.3 in G Major

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3705 on: 11 Nov 2023, 02:54 am »
I dont knew Wanda, looks a interesting performer, always liked the WTC.
Thanks.
She was a true virtuoso on the harpsichord, and a powerful pianist as well.   

S Clark

« Reply #3706 on: 11 Nov 2023, 03:00 pm »
Lol

The last couple posts here have given me a true belly laugh.
A magnificent presentation,  a brilliant composition, the most performed classical work and masterfully played by all and you call it mindless garbage.
My guess, you are a fan of death metal. Am I right?
"magnificent presentation,  a brilliant composition, the most performed classical work and masterfully played"--magnificent, brilliant, most performed,  masterful.  Nope.  It's not something I'd actively turn off, but I'm not likely to every listen to it again.    And because I don't consider it a masterpiece, doesn't mean I don't get it...  it's      just     not      that       good.   

eljr

« Reply #3707 on: 11 Nov 2023, 03:29 pm »
"magnificent presentation,  a brilliant composition, the most performed classical work and masterfully played"--magnificent, brilliant, most performed,  masterful.  Nope.  It's not something I'd actively turn off, but I'm not likely to every listen to it again.    And because I don't consider it a masterpiece, doesn't mean I don't get it...  it's      just     not      that       good.

I can respect your opinion on this. We all are acclimated differently and clearly we are very different.
The only thing that can't be argued is the sucess of the piece.

eljr

« Reply #3708 on: 11 Nov 2023, 03:30 pm »
She was a true virtuoso on the harpsichord, and a powerful pianist as well.

Again I can agree with your post.

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #3709 on: 11 Nov 2023, 04:32 pm »

Incredible recording. Close miking technique of Reference Recordings makes tonal texture very intense, especially in bass violin section.  Actually everywhere. You really hear the wood of the strings and metal of the brass. But the mix is much better than usual Reference. It sounds very big, but not the exagerated audiophile soundstage typical of RR symphonic records. Very tasteful and music work of art!
Performance is also very good. Honeck just a little dramatic for my taste compared to the totally dry and literal, “as written” Vanska, but this is what most people prefer.

S Clark

« Reply #3710 on: 11 Nov 2023, 04:37 pm »
Again I can agree with your post.
Great.  Let's just respect that all of us value different things in music.   My background was classical piano... and until I die, I'll probably measure everything against Chopin on small scale, and Rachmaninoff on a grander scale.  Doesn't mean those that fans of Glass have taste less refined than mine, but neither does it mean the opposite. 
I had never heard the piece by Jenkins before, and enjoyed it.   
And this time, sincerely,

Peace

S Clark

« Reply #3711 on: 11 Nov 2023, 04:45 pm »

Incredible recording. Close miking technique of Reference Recordings makes tonal texture very intense, especially in bass violin section.  Actually everywhere. You really hear the wood of the strings and metal of the brass. But the mix is much better than usual Reference. It sounds very big, but not the exagerated audiophile soundstage typical of RR symphonic records. Very tasteful and music work of art!
Performance is also very good. Honeck just a little dramatic for my taste compared to the totally dry and literal, “as written” Vanska, but this is what most people prefer.

I have several older renditions by the Pittsburg S.O. on the Command label conducted by Steinberg.  And they may be my favorite of all the Beethoven recordings I own.     I may see if I can find a copy of the R.R. version.

eljr

« Reply #3712 on: 11 Nov 2023, 04:48 pm »

Handel: Israel in Egypt

Adaptation by Jeannette Sorrell

Apollo's Fire, Jeannette Sorrell

Sorrell navigates this epic boldly, with edgy tempos, provocative dynamics and flawless pacing...Laurels also go to the band Apollo’s Fire, which restrains its customary unruliness in service... — BBC Music Magazine, December 2023, 4 out of 5 stars More…
Release Date: 6th Oct 2023
Catalogue No: AV2629
Label: Avie
Length: 73 minutes

eljr

« Reply #3713 on: 11 Nov 2023, 04:57 pm »
I have several older renditions by the Pittsburg S.O. on the Command label conducted by Steinberg.  And they may be my favorite of all the Beethoven recordings I own.     I may see if I can find a copy of the R.R. version.

Have you listed to the fairly recently released Rattle with the Berliner of the Beethoven Symphonies?

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/rattle-beethoven-symphonies.html?___store=rec_en

It instantly became my go to.

I have the full set which also included a super high-def download. The price has dropped to about half what I paid when it was first released.

eljr

« Reply #3714 on: 11 Nov 2023, 04:59 pm »
Great.  Let's just respect that all of us value different things in music.   My background was classical piano... and until I die, I'll probably measure everything against Chopin on small scale, and Rachmaninoff on a grander scale.  Doesn't mean those that fans of Glass have taste less refined than mine, but neither does it mean the opposite. 
I had never heard the piece by Jenkins before, and enjoyed it.   
And this time, sincerely,

Peace

Why, why, why can't I "get" Chopin?

Any ideas?

eljr

« Reply #3715 on: 11 Nov 2023, 05:03 pm »

Excellent critique, thank you.

S Clark

« Reply #3716 on: 11 Nov 2023, 05:08 pm »

Any ideas?
With all sincerity, I have no idea.  But this honestly interests me.  Do you mind if I PM you to discuss it further?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3717 on: 11 Nov 2023, 05:40 pm »

Any ideas?

There are many times I don't 'get' a composer.  For example Ravel and Debussy.  Especially their piano music.  I tried listening to lots of different performers and nothing clicked.  Until it did.  Finding the right performance is critical (for me) to 'get' certain composers.  Unlike composers like Beethoven or Brahms where most performances will sound pretty good. 

Here's some recent examples for me - Ravel the piano concerto just didn't hit.  Until I head someone play it a lot more like Gershwin and then it finally clicked.  Or Debussy, the solo piano stuff always sounded way to 'clattery' the way most people performed it.  Then I heard Gordon Fergus-Thompson and really connected with it's more sinewy and slinky presentation. 

I still struggle with Mendelssohn.  To me his music always sounds very surface level oriented with not much depth.  I know that's a failing on my part but I'm sorry that's how I hear it.  I did recently hear 1 recording that injected some real life into 2 of the symphonies but so far that's a one-off. 

Anyway, for Chopin, what is it you don't like?

S Clark

« Reply #3718 on: 11 Nov 2023, 06:06 pm »
I have a friend that cannot connect in any way to Beethoven.  He's lifetime classical listener, but his brain is just wired differently.  He's thing is English composers.  I don't know how many Bax and Moeran lp's he has brought to my turntable, perplexed in my lack of interest.   

Tyson, you aren't alone about Mendelssohn.  I've got copies of all his "greatest" but they never get a second playing.   
But if you took away all music from me but one composer, I'd be listening to Chopin.   

It occurs to me that an interesting thread topic might be "What classical music are you NOT listening to, luv?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3719 on: 11 Nov 2023, 09:21 pm »
I have a friend that cannot connect in any way to Beethoven.  He's lifetime classical listener, but his brain is just wired differently.  He's thing is English composers.  I don't know how many Bax and Moeran lp's he has brought to my turntable, perplexed in my lack of interest.   

Tyson, you aren't alone about Mendelssohn.  I've got copies of all his "greatest" but they never get a second playing.   
But if you took away all music from me but one composer, I'd be listening to Chopin.   

It occurs to me that an interesting thread topic might be "What classical music are you NOT listening to, luv?

It's funny you mention Chopin.  I had a hard time with him at first because so many pianists play him in a soft (or at least wistful) manner, which I didn't connect with at all.  Finally I heard the much more forceful (and rhythmically driven) Pollini performances and I was sold.  After listening to Pollini as my gateway to Chopin, after a while I noticed that I was more open to other pianists.  Nowadays I appreciate all different flavors of Chopin performances.