What classical music you listening to, luv?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #3680 on: 8 Nov 2023, 02:41 am »

Interesting how mood (for me) can influence musical enjoyment.
Makes perfect sense to me.  The notes are nothing until your brain interprets them.   

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3681 on: 8 Nov 2023, 03:35 am »
Makes perfect sense to me.  The notes are nothing until your brain interprets them.   

You know, it's funny - when I look back at how much I used to listen to the Shostakovich and Bartok string quartets, I must have been really depressed in the past. Or angry  :icon_twisted:.  Glad I got over that. 

eljr

« Reply #3682 on: 8 Nov 2023, 07:32 pm »
Quote from: S Clark on 23 Feb 2022, 10:19 am

Pat Posey will be forgotten. And if you are among his tiny audience, and you are, it will not matter.

and how would one know if they did not listen? And I know you did not.
BTW, don't bother it's terrible, IMHO.

Today I have this one. It's timeless. Wonderfully performed and recorded in state of the art.

This is a new recording even you would like.

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 & Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Overture

Orchestre philharmonique de Strasbourg, Aziz Shokhakimov

Release Date: 25th Aug 2023
Catalogue No: 5419753851
Label: Warner Classics
Length: 65 minutes

eljr

« Reply #3683 on: 8 Nov 2023, 07:38 pm »
I've heard some of her "American Project" and liked it.  I also like Wang as a pianist in general.   The jazz aspects in it goes back a long ways... obviously Gershwin, but Rachmaninoff and Horowitz used to go to Harlem to hear Art Tatum play.

I hope you are familiar with this piece, the solo written for Wang.

John Adams: Must the Devil Have All the Good Tunes?

Yuja Wang (piano)

Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Gustavo Dudamel

Absolutely brilliant in every way.

S Clark

« Reply #3684 on: 8 Nov 2023, 10:47 pm »
I hope you are familiar with this piece, the solo written for Wang.

John Adams: Must the Devil Have All the Good Tunes?

Yuja Wang (piano)

Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Gustavo Dudamel

Absolutely brilliant in every way.
Interesting at first, and I could see the appeal, but after 4 minutes I turned it off   So I guess we'll disagree on "brilliant in every way".   

eljr

« Reply #3685 on: 9 Nov 2023, 06:20 pm »
Interesting at first, and I could see the appeal, but after 4 minutes I turned it off   So I guess we'll disagree on "brilliant in every way".

Lol

Seems you are metaphorically stuck in cement shoes.
Peace

eljr

« Reply #3686 on: 9 Nov 2023, 06:22 pm »

Arcadelt: Missa Noe Noe

Cappella Mediterranea, Leonardo García Alarcón

Chœur de Chambre de Namur

Release Date: 6th Oct 2023
Catalogue No: RIC456
Label: Ricercar
Length: 62 minutes

Tyson

« Reply #3687 on: 9 Nov 2023, 06:43 pm »
Some cool saxaphone and piano music:

S Clark

« Reply #3689 on: 9 Nov 2023, 09:06 pm »
Lol

Seems you are metaphorically stuck in cement shoes.
Peace
Seems like you have a very high opinion of your supposedly enlightened taste. 
Insult someone and then sign off "peace".  There are lots of guys around here I've shared a beer with, or spent some time with talking face to face.  You are not going to be one of them. 
Within your first couple of dozen post here you came off as a pretentious snob, and you are even more transparent than before. 
Peace

I have a recommendation.  I'll ignore anything you post, and you do the same.  You can rave about your obscure stuff-- just leave out the crap about the less erudite inability to appreciate it. 

S Clark

« Reply #3690 on: 9 Nov 2023, 09:26 pm »

1952 Mercury MG5000 
I think this was the first of the series leading to a critic writing words to the effect of "like being in the living presence of the orchestra"... and a marketing phrase was born- Mercury Living Presence".  Robert Fine"s early use of 3 microphones mixed to 2 channels was quickly taken up by others ushering a golden age of vinyl.   
It's still a fine rendition. even if my copy is a bit noisy. 

simoon

« Reply #3691 on: 9 Nov 2023, 09:54 pm »
You know, it's funny - when I look back at how much I used to listen to the Shostakovich and Bartok string quartets, I must have been really depressed in the past. Or angry  :icon_twisted:.  Glad I got over that.

It's interesting, but the music I listen to, is usually independent of the particular mood I am in at the time.

I listen to 'happy' or 'sad' music, regardless of my current mood.

Not only that, but there have been studies done, that show that listening to sad music when one is depressed, actually helps improve mood.

https://www.classical-music.com/articles/does-listening-sad-music-actually-make-you-happier

richidoo

« Reply #3692 on: 10 Nov 2023, 02:08 pm »

Listening to Beethoven cured my decades-long depression. Soon after I was exposed to it I developed a strong craving for it, which lasted a couple years, then the craving faded out with the depression.

Funny enough, I was introduced to Beethoven music by a customer of the audio store where I bought my first hifi speakers. They sent him to audition my speakers and he played only Beethoven music. He taught me a lot about Beethoven in that hour and I dove in head first. Looking back I now believe he was an angel sent in answer to my prayers to cure my depression.

Randy

« Reply #3693 on: 10 Nov 2023, 03:28 pm »
Listening to Beethoven cured my decades-long depression. Soon after I was exposed to it I developed a strong craving for it, which lasted a couple years, then the craving faded out with the depression.

Funny enough, I was introduced to Beethoven music by a customer of the audio store where I bought my first hifi speakers. They sent him to audition my speakers and he played only Beethoven music. He taught me a lot about Beethoven in that hour and I dove in head first. Looking back I now believe he was an angel sent in answer to my prayers to cure my depression.

Great story.

Tyson

« Reply #3694 on: 10 Nov 2023, 04:32 pm »

That's awesome!

eljr

« Reply #3695 on: 10 Nov 2023, 05:46 pm »

Bartók: Piano Concertos

Pierre-Laurent Aimard (piano), San Francisco Symphony, Esa-Pekka Salonen

There is much playing here of a clarity, velocity and exactitude that can make the jaw drop, and he, Salonen and the San Francisco Symphony seem to be on the same conceptual page throughout.... — BBC Music Magazine, December 2023, 4 out of 5 stars (Performance) / 3 out of 5 stars (Recording) More…
Release Date: 15th Sep 2023
Catalogue No: PTC5187029
Label: Pentatone
Length: 79 minutes

eljr

« Reply #3696 on: 10 Nov 2023, 05:57 pm »
Seems like you have a very high opinion of your supposedly enlightened taste. 
Insult someone and then sign off "peace".  There are lots of guys around here I've shared a beer with, or spent some time with talking face to face.  You are not going to be one of them. 
Within your first couple of dozen post here you came off as a pretentious snob, and you are even more transparent than before. 
Peace

I have a recommendation.  I'll ignore anything you post, and you do the same.  You can rave about your obscure stuff-- just leave out the crap about the less erudite inability to appreciate it.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure who you know what pretentious means?

And
Don't be so thin skinned. Most people are set in their ways and believe "their music" is superior to all others.  I see this in all genres of music not just classical. Thank God I am not so afflicted.
It's especially pervasive in classical and rock.

Something to contemplate, the world moves forward if you stand still you are moving backwards. It's a basic tenet of nature.

I could explain some of this from a neuroscience perspective but I doubt you are interested.

Peace

eljr

« Reply #3697 on: 10 Nov 2023, 05:59 pm »

As others have said, yes, this is a good story.  :)

thanks for sharing

S Clark

« Reply #3698 on: 10 Nov 2023, 06:29 pm »
J. S. Bach "The Well Tempered Clavier" complete       Wanda Landowska
RCA LM 6801   A 1958 mono box set.   

eljr

« Reply #3699 on: 10 Nov 2023, 10:20 pm »

Karl Jenkins: The Armed Man - A Mass for Peace

Pauline Rathmann, Yumeji Matasufuji, Leah-Marian Jones, Valentino Worlitzsch
World Orchestra for Peace, World Choir for Peace, Karl Jenkins
Release Date: 11th Oct 2019
Catalogue No: 707508
Label: C Major
Runtime: 69 minutes

I am sure we can all agree that this is magnificent in either Blu-ray or DVD.