What classical music you listening to, luv?

ACHiPo

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #1160 on: 5 Apr 2015, 03:16 pm »
Stravinsky
Petrushka--Ansermet conducting L'orchestra de la Suisse Romande

ACHiPo

« Reply #1161 on: 11 Apr 2015, 03:19 pm »
Jascha Heifetz
Sibelius Violin Concerto
Chicago Symphony Walter Hendl Conducting

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1162 on: 25 Apr 2015, 12:09 am »
Jascha Heifetz
Sibelius Violin Concerto
Chicago Symphony Walter Hendl Conducting

That is one amazing performance and recording. No doubt, Heifitz was a stud.   

Today I was listening to Saint Saens 3rd Symphony, a work of power and beauty that he never matched in his other symphonic work.  On an EMI/Pathe lp with Martinon directing, it is a lush recording with massive sound, and is my go to copy of this work. 

S Clark

« Reply #1163 on: 25 Apr 2015, 12:18 am »
Oops, repeat.

Freo-1

« Reply #1164 on: 25 Apr 2015, 12:25 am »
Symphony No. 6 (Tchaikovsky) Russian National Orchestra:

A great performance, and excellent recording on SACD.  One of the most haunting symphonies I have ever heard.

S Clark

« Reply #1165 on: 29 Apr 2015, 08:24 pm »
When trying to integrate a new subwoofer (my new twin servo 12" OB GR-Research/Rythmik), the grand piano is the go to instrument for me.  If you can integrate the lowest half octave with your mains, you pretty much got it done. 

Rubinstein playing the complete Chopin Mazurkas have never sounded better on my small rig.  RCA LM 6109 is a 3 lp set on RCA Red Seal 1954 (just pre-dating the Shaded Dog label).  I had to use more gain that I expected but the new sub does the job of making mid size AV123 X Statik speakers sound much more like a 9' grand piano.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1166 on: 31 May 2015, 02:58 pm »
Respighi /  Charles Munch,  New Philharmonia Orchestra   ‎– Fountains Of Rome / Pines Of Rome

With Sunday coffee.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1167 on: 2 Jun 2015, 01:42 pm »
Arvo Part- Miserere as performed by the The Hilliard Ensemble (ECM).  Quite a nice recording, too.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1168 on: 2 Jun 2015, 05:19 pm »
When trying to integrate a new subwoofer (my new twin servo 12" OB GR-Research/Rythmik), the grand piano is the go to instrument for me.  If you can integrate the lowest half octave with your mains, you pretty much got it done. 

How are the new subs working out for you, overall?  I am loving mine to death.

S Clark

« Reply #1169 on: 2 Jun 2015, 07:39 pm »
How are the new subs working out for you, overall?  I am loving mine to death.
I don't know of another way of creating bass that is as accurate.  If you are looking for room shaking AV stuff, then you need more of them, but for creating an accurate representation of a concert grand piano, they are working perfectly.

Tyson

« Reply #1170 on: 2 Jun 2015, 08:47 pm »
Nice!  Yes, that is what I am finding too.  Particularly with stuff like Mahler or Beethoven, where there are often counter-melodies going on in the bass section, the OB bass allows much more clarity to hear the full complexity of the music, which is awesome.  And instead of generic bass tones, you actually hear rosins on bows and resonating wooden bodies, which is doubly awesome.  Bass clarity, detail and power, I've never heard it's equal....

S Clark

« Reply #1171 on: 2 Jun 2015, 10:52 pm »
Nice!  Yes, that is what I am finding too.  Particularly with stuff like Mahler or Beethoven, where there are often counter-melodies going on in the bass section, the OB bass allows much more clarity to hear the full complexity of the music, which is awesome.  And instead of generic bass tones, you actually hear rosins on bows and resonating wooden bodies, which is doubly awesome.  Bass clarity, detail and power, I've never heard it's equal....
I still prefer my LS9's for Mahler and such (massive speakers for massed instruments), but in a smaller room, matched with either a pair of Neo2X or X-Statiks, I have a much larger variety of music that has an added sense of reality.  I tend to listen to jazz on my smaller system, the bass violin is much clearer with well defined detail that was otherwise lost.   

Tyson

« Reply #1172 on: 2 Jun 2015, 11:04 pm »
Well, I only have one system :(  But I do have Serenity Super 7's in the one system I have, and they don't 'quite' scale like a line source does, they are much closer than most non-LS speakers.  The open baffle Mockingbird LSX line sources, with 3 of the 12 inch OB woofers in separate bass cabinets (per side!) are the best speakers I've heard, period.  For sheer scale, you simply cannot beat a quality line source.

S Clark

« Reply #1173 on: 2 Jun 2015, 11:13 pm »
Well, I only have one system :(  But I do have Serenity Super 7's in the one system I have, and they don't 'quite' scale like a line source does, they are much closer than most non-LS speakers.  The open baffle Mockingbird LSX line sources, with 3 of the 12 inch OB woofers in separate bass cabinets (per side!) are the best speakers I've heard, period.  For sheer scale, you simply cannot beat a quality line source.
I thought I'd read that you got a pair of the Super 7's. Just color me green.   That's the first speaker that I heard at the RMAF that I thought clearly was superior to the LS9's... they are a true SOTA speaker system. 

Tyson

« Reply #1174 on: 2 Jun 2015, 11:20 pm »
I thought I'd read that you got a pair of the Super 7's. Just color me green.   That's the first speaker that I heard at the RMAF that I thought clearly was superior to the LS9's... they are a true SOTA speaker system. 

Thanks!  For people like you and me, large scale orchestral is critically important to get right, along with piano and various string instruments.  But man, oh man, when you DO get it right, it's breathtaking! 

I love line sources but there's just no way I could fit them into my space, so I was ecstatic when I heard the Super 7's and they give such a big sound along with such tonal purity. 

But if you have room for a line source (and it seems you do!), skip the Super 7's and go straight to the Mockingbird Audio LSX - they are gobsmackingly good.  As much of a step up over the LS9 as the Super 7's were a step up over the Super V's.  Hell, maybe even more! 

S Clark

« Reply #1175 on: 2 Jun 2015, 11:24 pm »
Well, let's not stop there... while we're dreaming let's go for Danny new OB line array in non resonant aluminum.  I just don't have the correct superlative to describe those things-- and I also don't have the coin to buy a pair.  :cry:

Tyson

« Reply #1176 on: 2 Jun 2015, 11:25 pm »
Well, let's not stop there... while we're dreaming let's go for Danny new OB line array in non resonant aluminum.  I just don't have the correct superlative to describe those things-- and I also don't have the coin to buy a pair.  :cry:

Have you heard them?  I'd love to hear them.

S Clark

« Reply #1177 on: 13 Jun 2015, 02:20 am »
From Musical Heritage Society 3290  A Very Special Night in the Seraglio

This is a collection of songs played on instruments from the Topkapi Museum in Istanbul, many of which are scarcely in existence today.  The Qanun, the keman, the tanbar, the kemantche, the nay, and of course, the oud.  The music is traditional music from Turkey to Iran.  I liked the kemantche, sort of an eastern cello sound.

This is where it was recorded, in the haram room.

brooklyn

« Reply #1178 on: 25 Jun 2015, 06:21 am »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1179 on: 27 Jun 2015, 05:46 pm »
Shostakovich*, USSR Symphony Orchestra*, Yevgeny Svetlanov*  ‎– Symphony No. 7 (1942) "Leningrad"

Rats, got a loan of an old-school Classe TwentyFive amp, and lost a tweeter and a sub amp. Guess it will take a little more time to get a feel for this amp.\

Till I get the tweeter replaced anyway.