Ideas for My Son's First Audio System Wanted

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Ideas for My Son's First Audio System Wanted
« Reply #40 on: 31 Oct 2019, 06:11 pm »
If you give him the adelphos, that gives you an excuse to get some even higher end bookshelves for your setup :)  Ascend Sierra 2 EX  or you could build a diy Selah Tempesta mk2

Hi, uncola. Long time no see.  :wave:

Actually, I posted a teaser post a couple days ago with a photo of CSS-Audio LD25X tweeters (in box). They are slated to be the HF drivers in a <not yet existent> three-way set up. I'm considering which midrange drivers to use, but will likely settle on 5.5" midrange drivers and a 10" woofer in an approximately 24" high truncated "A" shaped cabinet. The idea for this has been sloshing round inside my head for a couple years. My <potentially> giving my son my Adelphos creates the necessary excuse (to my lovely wife) to get new speakers.  :wink:

Michael

mcgsxr

« Reply #41 on: 31 Oct 2019, 06:40 pm »
In the event you would consider a set of larger mids, I have a set of CSS LDW7's I used briefly as part of a DIY active setup.

Documented here - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152112.msg1627211#msg1627211

No longer in use...

mresseguie

« Reply #42 on: 31 Oct 2019, 06:59 pm »
Oh....I'll check with my expert....Thanks! I have been so focused on finding a midrange driver that I forgot I could also use a midwoofer driver.   :duh:

Hang onto them for me till I can get an answer.  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #43 on: 31 Oct 2019, 11:29 pm »
Happy to.  I am currently using the cabinets as my stands for my Totem Rainmakers.  Don’t need the woofers in the stands in any case. 

mresseguie

« Reply #44 on: 9 Nov 2019, 12:05 am »
My son and I chatted about audio possibilities today. He decided that he would like my Nuprime IDA-8 and my Adelphos two-way monitors. I'll probably cry....buy him a pair of the IsoAcoustics stands. I told him about Rythmik and SVS subwoofers. He's going to check out their websites for 12" subs. I'll gift him whichever one he selects.

Many thanks to everyone who offered ideas. Big kudos  :thumb: to those who related their own similar experiences with their offspring. I didn't push the above choices on my son. I gave him various choices - including powered speakers - yet he decided to go with the more familiar sound because he (and his fiance) have heard this combination before and they really like the sound and versatility. One big criteria they both expressed was they wanted to avoid my buying all new gear, and hoped that they could receive some of my excess gear.

Michael

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #45 on: 9 Nov 2019, 12:24 am »
One big criteria they both expressed was they wanted to avoid my buying all new gear, and hoped that they could receive some of my excess gear.

Michael

You know, Michael, only audio nerds would understand why there would be "excess gear" in the first place, eh?

richidoo

« Reply #46 on: 9 Nov 2019, 02:40 am »
He decided that he would like my Nuprime IDA-8 and my Adelphos two-way monitors.

Smart boy!   :thumb:

Congratulations to him and his betrothed on their engagement.

mresseguie

« Reply #47 on: 9 Nov 2019, 06:37 am »
You know, Michael, only audio nerds would understand why there would be "excess gear" in the first place, eh?

:lol: I hear ya! A guy’s gotta experiment a little. A couple extra amps for flavor, a NOS DAC, and at least one unassembled kit, but who’s counting? :green:

mresseguie

« Reply #48 on: 9 Nov 2019, 08:03 am »
 :dunno:

Sometime between his telling me he'd take the Adelphos and IDA-8 and my sitting down to eat dinner (2 hours?), something influenced his thinking. It may have been his sense of practicality or it may have been a serious discussion with his fiance. Regardless, he called me after a couple hours to explain that even this <to me> modest system is way more money than he'd consider spending on audio at this point in his life. He's got more immediate needs such as a washer/dryer, stools for the kitchen counter, and furniture for the extra bedroom (for guests like mom & dad!).

He'd much rather I give him a more useful housewarming gift than an audio system that will not get much use - at least in the near term.

I ought to be proud of him (I am) - not disappointed (only a little) that he suggested audio can wait a while (2 or 3 years). As he was growing up, we instilled in him an awareness of "Is this something I need or something I want?" Needs take priority over wants. Wants come after needs are taken care of, but only if acquiring the want doesn't prevent fulfilling of future needs. [That's probably a mouthful, but that's how we chose to live our lives until recently.] 

I wanted to be clear since I excitedly told you of his earlier decision. I'll get a clearer picture tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure he won't take the Adelphos. He may decide to accept the IDA-8 and less expensive speakers, in which case a couple offered pairs of speakers may be considered after all.

This has been educational for me. I'd forgotten how to think like a 27-year-old who's just starting out in life.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #49 on: 9 Nov 2019, 11:52 am »
Speed Queen washer and dryer.  Rated for 25,000 loads!  Made of metal, not plastic.  Forget the fancy/more expensive models.  It'll be a life-time gift.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #50 on: 9 Nov 2019, 12:40 pm »
Mike,

It’s nice to see that your son and his fiancé have more sense than both of us! :green: And my offer in my pm is still there should you wish to take it.

Best,
Anand.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #51 on: 9 Nov 2019, 03:37 pm »
Speed Queen washer and dryer.  Rated for 25,000 loads!  Made of metal, not plastic.  Forget the fancy/more expensive models.  It'll be a life-time gift.
+1. A rational and useful gift especially for the wife, audio always comes with the enhancement and upgrade virus. Especially now when the headphones are in a dizzying rise in quality and improvement in sound and soundstage on models over $1K.

Samac

« Reply #52 on: 9 Nov 2019, 03:45 pm »
+2 on JLM’s Speed Queen washer and dryer. :thumb: As the years go by they will appreciate it more and more. I admire how your son thinks. He’s got a good head on his shoulders. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

charmerci

« Reply #53 on: 9 Nov 2019, 04:26 pm »
But give him something nice - since you already have it. There will be plenty of times where nice (sounding) music can be relaxing after a long day or when the baby needs to be calmed or a romantic dinner is needed.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #54 on: 9 Nov 2019, 05:28 pm »
I hear you have a really nice ST70 tube amp just sitting around, that would be essentially free (sunk cost), and for speakers, maybe a more personal gift, like build a pair of C-Note diy speakers from Parts Express - you've mentioned before you're interested in making a kit, this would be a great opportunity to do it.  Might be a nice little extra Christmas present :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #55 on: 9 Nov 2019, 05:34 pm »
+3 on the Speed Queen.  Love our washer.  Will match the dryer when it dies.

The old school non electronic controls will last longer. 

mresseguie

« Reply #56 on: 9 Nov 2019, 06:32 pm »
This is fun.

Okay....here's the final (?) word on what is happening with the audio part of the housewarming gift:

He's getting the IDA-8. I just committed to buying a pair of Mike Lundy (mlundy) built Encores from Nature Boy. 'My' first mlundy built speakers and I won't even get to hear them until April, 2020. My son will add a subwoofer after they're settled in. I think he wants to see what's available in the ATL area.

I think the SpeedQueen set is a great idea - and I did mention this brand and its reliability to him a week ago. However, he's got his mind set on an LG pair from Costco. We'll see what he decides. He's an adult, and I don't want to step on his toes with too many suggestions.

Tyson,

Yeah. I thought about the ST-70, but 1) He hasn't been bitten by the audio bug, and 2) He really doesn't want an amp that needs that level of attention. He can leave the IDA-8 on 24/7. It's easy peasy. Hell, he's going to inherit all my gear when I die in <probably> 25 years, and that thought is pretty intimidating for him right now. [I've got three friends who have asked to be added to my will, so they can get my Apollos.  :lol:]

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #57 on: 10 Nov 2019, 12:03 pm »
My appliance repairman recommended Speed Queen and told me to avoid LG as parts are very hard to find.  Avoid sexy appliances, go with the time tested basics.  Why do folks want to mix electricity with water anyway?

Doublej

« Reply #58 on: 14 Nov 2019, 01:00 am »
I have a radical idea. For $44 get two Echo Dots and configure them as a stereo pair. The Dot does Bluetooth, and streaming from TuneIn, iHeart Radio, Pandora, and more.

Want better sound? Add a pair of powered monitors. The famous JBL's will likely be on sale for under $200/pair.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #59 on: 14 Nov 2019, 01:49 am »
My appliance repairman recommended Speed Queen and told me to avoid LG as parts are very hard to find.  Avoid sexy appliances, go with the time tested basics.  Why do folks want to mix electricity with water anyway?
I’ve got a Maytag high efficiency washer and matching dryer. It was a mid-level model about 8 years ago. Other than cleaning a drain-catch thing every year or so, it’s been problem free. I’m pretty sure most of the brands are all the same nowadays. There’s a few outliers like Speed Queen and I think LG doesn’t rebadge their stuff.

But my point, really is such... Why all these settings and controls, and complicated electronic boards? It’s not like my clothes are coming out any cleaner. And they’re not coming out of the washer to the dryer by themselves and folded when done. As far as the settings go, I use the same one every time. Except the “clean washer” cycle. Why do I need to wash a washing machine?

It uses less water, so it has that going for it, which is nice :) Other than that, I fail to see how these things are better than what I grew up using - turn the knob (which made a cool noise) and push it in to start washing.