ACI Seven Channel Essence V system review ...

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #60 on: 18 Jul 2005, 09:53 pm »
Craig:

The Essence and Talisman sound extremely similar in the mids and highs. The main difference is that the Talisman offers extension to 20Hz as opposed to 75Hz. IF you will never do a two-channel bypass, and will always be running the subs, then the Essence V is the way to go.

IF youi ever want to run straight two-channel without sub(s), the Talisman is the weapon of choice :)

FWIW, I swap a lot of speakers, the mains that have pretty much stayed in my most used system now for two years are Talismans.

NealH

« Reply #61 on: 18 Jul 2005, 11:06 pm »
Where is the info on the Talisman?  I don't see it on the ACI website.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #62 on: 19 Jul 2005, 12:07 am »
It is a Special Edition, very limited production run. We announced in our Hot Summer sale . . . .here's the link:

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/talisman/talismanse.htm

Note, check the Hot Summer sale for VERY special pricing.

Craig Chase

« Reply #63 on: 19 Jul 2005, 12:36 am »
My Wife wants the Protege's now. Her words ... "They are the right size for the basement theater, why do you need those big towers" ...

Women.  :nono:  :?  :oops:  :o  :D  :lol:

The dilemma - A 5 x Protege system and a happy wife ? Or a Talisman system and ... a not so happy wife ...  :?:

Craig Chase

Review Thread on AVS
« Reply #64 on: 19 Jul 2005, 02:34 am »
The start of the review thread has been posted on AVS ...

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=560746

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #65 on: 19 Jul 2005, 03:08 am »
Quote from: Craig Chase
My Wife wants the Protege's now. Her words ... "They are the right size for the basement theater, why do you need those big towers" ...

The dilemma - A 5 x Protege system and a happy wife ? Or a Talisman system and ... a not so happy wife ...  :?:

Craig:

In my experience, if Momma's not happy, nobody's happy   . . . Such says the sign in the kitchen, and such is life's experience :) Of course, if Momma likes to listen to two-channel bypass  . . .

Craig Chase

« Reply #66 on: 19 Jul 2005, 03:10 am »
Quote from: Mike Dzurko

Craig:

In my experience, if Momma's not happy, nobody's happy   . . . Such says the sign in the kitchen, and such is life's experience :) Of course, if Momma likes to listen to two-channel bypass  . . .

This is excruciating ... though I am pretty sure she thinks a two channel bypass is performed by a cardioligist ...  8)

thugh

« Reply #67 on: 19 Jul 2005, 03:28 am »
Careful Craig, or she will be requesting that you get dual matching Maestros again!  :lol:

Craig Chase

« Reply #68 on: 19 Jul 2005, 03:32 am »
Quote from: thugh
Careful Craig, or she will be requesting that you get dual matching Maestros again!  :lol:

You can count on those in my future ... Well, at least one.

thugh

« Reply #69 on: 19 Jul 2005, 05:13 pm »
Quote from: jkscherk
The most notable differences were in the size of the soundstage and quality of mid-bass. In both cases, the Vs surpassed the Panorama. While the Panorama on its own (without subs) went much lower than the V, the quality and fullness of the mid-bass was superior in the V. All of the music seemed to be rounder and more palpable in this listening region with the V. This was a puzzle to me as the Panoramas do extend lower, so I thought they’d do better over the entire bass range. I asked Mike if what I was hearing seemed odd or wrong to him. To my surprise, he agreed with my findings. As I understand it, in order to get the increased range in the Panoramas, they utilize a ported design. The Vs on the other hand are sealed. As a result, the Panoramas go lower, but the Vs have greater clarity/accuracy in those regions they do cover.  ...

Mike,

Is this why you recommend blocking the port on Panoramas when integrating with a sub?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #70 on: 19 Jul 2005, 06:07 pm »
Mike,

Is this why you recommend blocking the port on Panoramas when integrating with a sub?

Tom:

Precisely! :)

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #71 on: 19 Jul 2005, 08:04 pm »
What size/type of foam dowel. Does it matter? Looks like the port is just under 2in.

I've been meaning to give it a try.

E

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #72 on: 19 Jul 2005, 08:16 pm »
Quote from: thedeskE
What size/type of foam dowel. Does it matter? Looks like the port is just under 2in.

I've been meaning to give it a try.

E

E:

Heck a sock, (preferably clean), will work :)

thedeskE

« Reply #73 on: 19 Jul 2005, 09:32 pm »
Put A Sock In It?

I'd probably go after em' one morning when I can't find a clean pair.

Heck, I have a skinny sheet of grey foam I can roll into a plug. 4X2 inches sounds right.

E

thugh

« Reply #74 on: 22 Jul 2005, 12:18 am »
Mike,

Tom:

Mike,

What does the frequency response become on the Panoramas with the port plugged.  I will probably need to adjust the crossover points and was wondering if you had the measurments.

thedeskE

« Reply #75 on: 22 Jul 2005, 02:45 pm »
I'd love to know the actual name of the material for a google search. Even better, who sells the material. Rubber Dowel? Open Cell rods? What is it?

Can't believe I don't know this after so many years.

E

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #76 on: 23 Jul 2005, 09:17 pm »
Mike,

Tom:

Mike,

What does the frequency response become on the Panoramas with the port plugged.  I will probably need to adjust the crossover points and was wondering if you had the measurments.

Tom:

I don't have those files handy, but I know that F3 is somewhere close to 80Hz with the ports plugged.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #77 on: 23 Jul 2005, 09:19 pm »
Quote from: thedeskE
Put A Sock In It?

I'd probably go after em' one morning when I can't find a clean pair.

Heck, I have a skinny sheet of grey foam I can roll into a plug. 4X2 inches sounds right.

E

E:

That should work just fine.  . .  and you won't have to rob your speakers when you need clean socks . .

Craig Chase

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusic ....
« Reply #78 on: 25 Jul 2005, 09:27 pm »
We have been listening to lots of music the past few days. The Essence V's are just plain fantastic in two channel.

If Diana Krall gets any more real, my wife is going to whack me for having an affair ...  8)

Mike Dzurko

Re: Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusic ....
« Reply #79 on: 26 Jul 2005, 02:32 pm »
We have been listening to lots of music the past few days. The Essence V's are just plain fantastic in two channel.

If Diana Krall gets any more real, my wife is going to whack me for having an affair ...  8)

To bad we don't advertise . . .  I can see a really cool ad campaign based around this one, (of course we'd have to put Diana under contract :)