APC Recalls Millions of Surge Protectors

Doublej

APC Recalls Millions of Surge Protectors
« on: 26 Oct 2013, 02:47 pm »
I am not sure this the right circle for this topic but I couldn't think of a better one.

I found this on AA. Good thing I spotted it as I have two APC surge protectors in use at my house that have been recalled. At work we probably have a hundred or so.

Recall process is pretty efficient. You go to recall.apc.com and enter images of your surge protectors' model/serial number stickers along with your personal information. A couple of days later you get confirmation of approval and then an order number for the replacement.

Kudos to Schneider for recalling something over a decade old!

http://www.today.com/money/recall-millions-surge-protectors-could-cause-fire-8C11339817

dB Cooper

Re: APC Recalls Millions of Surge Protectors
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2013, 02:54 pm »
As long as we're on the subject, I have heard that SPs should be replaced periodically. Mine are long in the tooth but their indicator lights still show 'ready' FWIW. Any advice from any EE-savvy members on this?

Bizarroterl

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2013, 04:24 pm »
The surge arrestors used are rated for only so many hits.  So yes, they should be replaced.  How often should they be replaced?  Depends on how "clean" your power is.  IE If the SP is on the same circuit as a large electric motor or you live in an area that has a fair amount of lightning then it should be replaced regularly.

low.pfile

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2013, 04:53 pm »
Thank you! Thank you!

I have an included SP from 1996

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2013, 05:56 pm »
Many MOV's are rated at about 3 million hits, so it might take awhile.