Live Edge Walnut Slab Epoxy Table

srb

Live Edge Walnut Slab Epoxy Table
« on: 24 May 2020, 05:18 pm »
Came across this in today's Instructables email.

I've never seen anything quite like this and the first thing I thought of was the Colorado River flowing through the Grand Canyon.  As the builder (Jeremy Hoffpauir) says, the techniques can be applied to various DIY projects.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Live-Edge-Walnut-Slab-Epoxy-Table/

I'm particularly interested in WGH's thoughts.  Wayne, what say you?

WGH

Re: Live Edge Walnut Slab Epoxy Table
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2020, 06:52 pm »
Interesting project but not my style, too much bling. I have seen river table tops before and my first reaction is always  :scratch:

I like my tables to be more understated

This mesquite table is 10' long x 22" wide x 33" high

Although I have included a river in an art project, this is what happens when a Christian gets invited to a Passover party

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2020, 07:07 pm »
I'm with WGH, I'm not big on the epoxy in live edge tables. Sometimes a little can add some pop but this seems too much for my tastes.

That being said it's a good way to use two smaller live edge pieces to create a larger table.

That's a beatiful console table WGH.

I never cared too much for live edge tables even though I've made a few. Us older folks remember back when they were in fashion many years ago.

Here's a couple shots of one I made for my neighbors in Claro walnut with steel legs.

Mike

sta2lt

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2020, 03:06 am »
Epoxy river tables are quite the rage right now. They do not do much for me, however I use epoxy in my furniture projects to fix and or stabilize problems in the wood. Most of the wood I use is urban salvage the raw material often has large cracks in knots ect.

The small knot in the crest rail leg joint was loose and dried out. I removed it cleaned the hole and reinserted with West System Epoxy. I look at i you would never know that it was repaired.

Mark