OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

sledwards

Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs
« Reply #260 on: 31 May 2017, 08:23 pm »
Based on the weight of my triples, each sub may tip the scales at 340 lbs!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #261 on: 2 Jun 2017, 11:43 pm »
Jay, those effing things are huge! There's something to be said for ostentatiousness, eh? I'd love to hear 'em someday.

Could be they'd stress a significant other out, though. Maybe you could string a rope between them and use as clothes line....Dual purpose, you know.

Captainhemo

« Reply #262 on: 29 Aug 2017, 08:57 pm »
 :lol:  too funny Peter.   

Have a customer who's interested in some quads so I threw a mock up of them together in the shop to snap a couple  photos.

Recently we did a paiir of the modular cabinets in dual form for a customer. When  we were looking at them mocked up inthe shop, I thought it might look cool if  I cut the reveal both above the top module  and below the  bottom module to give the illusion  the top and base  were "floating".    It tunred out pretty cool , you  can this in the pictures above

jay

lokie

« Reply #263 on: 29 Aug 2017, 10:23 pm »
Does anyone in Atlanta have these and would be let me have a listen?

Sure would be cool. 8)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #264 on: 30 Aug 2017, 12:59 am »
If anyone is near Maryland, let me know.  I have the 6x12's servo sub arrays with the OB line arrays.

Captainhemo

« Reply #265 on: 30 Aug 2017, 12:59 am »
Does anyone in Atlanta have these and would be let me have a listen?

Sure would be cool. 8)

Wierd, I feel like we sent a set of triples to someone in Georgeia but  digging through records, I can't  find it :scratch:  I know of someone in Tyrone, who may   let you hear a set of duals (not  these particular cabinets but  still dual  OB h-frames)  as well as a guy in  N Carolina who I know wouild be more than happy to  let you hear his triples.... yeah I know N Carolina is a  bit of  jont ....
Danny may  know of someone down  in your  area with a pair  ?
jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #266 on: 30 Aug 2017, 01:02 am »
If anyone is near Maryland, let me know.  I have the 6x12's servo sub arrays with the OB line arrays.

that's the low frequency thump we all hear  from coast to coast at times right Rich?   :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #267 on: 30 Aug 2017, 01:16 am »
Yes.  As often as possible!  :D

Early B.

« Reply #268 on: 30 Aug 2017, 02:49 am »
I know of someone in Tyrone, who may let you hear a set of duals (not these particular cabinets but still dual OB h-frames)

Yeah, I know that guy, too. :lol:  I have a set of duals in Stone Mountain.

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
Re: H-Frame Flat Packs
« Reply #269 on: 30 Aug 2017, 10:31 pm »
I have a pair of the MMG's over here right now. I am going to give them a good examination and figure out what I can do with them. I think there is a lot that can be done with them.

I am thinking a pair of triples may match up nicely with the Maggie .7 speakers.  Have you figured out what can be done with the MMG's?

Seems to me this would be a tremendously capable system that doesn't cost as much as a new car.

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #270 on: 30 Aug 2017, 10:33 pm »

I am in Frederick, have had a long interest in the servo sub H-frames.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #271 on: 30 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm »
I am thinking a pair of triples may match up nicely with the Maggie .7 speakers.  Have you figured out what can be done with the MMG's?

Seems to me this would be a tremendously capable system that doesn't cost as much as a new car.

Triple 12's should be a great match. I recently built a pair of triple 8 servo subs with A370 amps for someone who is pairing them with Maggie 3.6s. He and his wife love them.

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #272 on: 30 Aug 2017, 11:22 pm »
I have a pair of 3x8" H-Frames with HX300 servo amps and drivers to be built.  Also have the 3x8" U frame here as well with amps.  They are extra at this point.

I am about 110 miles south of Frederick.  PM me if you are going to be in the area. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #273 on: 31 Aug 2017, 04:03 pm »

Yeah, I made a whole thread on upgrading the MMG's. It was a pretty significant upgrade.

The MMG's with upgrades were really good for a small budget. They do need quite a bit of power though. So keep that in mind for your budget too.

And the servo subs are the easiest to match up with them. The flexibility of the servo system allows them to do just about anything. And with the open baffle servo system its a perfect match. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #274 on: 31 Aug 2017, 04:09 pm »
Yeah, I made a whole thread on upgrading the MMG's. It was a pretty significant upgrade.

The MMG's with upgrades were really good for a small budget. They do need quite a bit of power though. So keep that in mind for your budget too.

And the servo subs are the easiest to match up with them. The flexibility of the servo system allows them to do just about anything. And with the open baffle servo system its a perfect match.

For the client with the 3.6s we added an in-line filter to keep the Maggies from having to deal with first octave signals. By filtering the lows off the Maggies he found they played much cleaner and don't need as much power as before. He says his power amps for the Maggies now barely twitch the needles, keeping them almost entirely in class A mode (Pass Labs class A/B amp).

orensemaj

« Reply #275 on: 4 Nov 2017, 07:36 am »
He Jay,

Are you near Vancouver, B.C. or Vancouver, Washington? I am near Vancouver, B.C. so I am wondering if you are in B.C. whether you ship from Canada for the flatpacks?

James

Look "up and to the left"  (BC)   :lol:
Mostly shipping out of WA to help keep pricing down. These are heavy and  there are 2 boxes per shipment.

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #276 on: 4 Nov 2017, 05:27 pm »
He Jay,

Are you near Vancouver, B.C. or Vancouver, Washington? I am near Vancouver, B.C. so I am wondering if you are in B.C. whether you ship from Canada for the flatpacks?

James

Shot you a PM James

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #277 on: 14 Nov 2017, 11:26 am »
Have a pair of modular 2x12 H-Frames on the way from Jay and should be here Friday.  Then glue-up starts.

Found a local finishing shop and they are testing a finish on one of my modular 6x12 cabinets.  Epoxy base coat and gloss polyurethane in Hot Rod black for the color.   Should see the test finish on Friday.  If it worked well, will get them the modular 2x12's after glue-up as the next step in finishing.

They can do any automotive finish car color, so may change to a different one after they know pricing.

Captainhemo

« Reply #278 on: 15 Nov 2017, 04:51 pm »
Looking forward  to seeing that  sample paint and  hearing  some feedback on  our modular subs.  Shouild be an easy glue up for you 

jay

david45

« Reply #279 on: 20 Nov 2017, 07:13 am »
Finally I took care of the wiring today! Not only am I a pro at procrastinating, I also happen to work very slowly.

Jay and his guy did an amazing job with the sloped duals and I can't wait to dial them in once they break in some more and the no-rez is installed. The finish is extremely nice and they match the color of the speakers just about perfectly.

Until now, I've been playing the NX-Otica's with a sealed subwoofer with satisfactory results in my system, although the integration isn't exactly seamless. I'm also surprised at how low they seem to extend by themselves in my room.

Now that the winter amplifier is back in the system, I've been doing much more critical listening. I decided  to reorganize the equipment rack the other day and took out two shelves which gave me a dramatic improvement in terms of sound stage and imaging. It was a real eye opener.

I also had a nice 300b integrated amp on loan for a couple days and it made me realize just how efficient the NX-Otica's actually are. I could definitely get away with even less than 8 watts per channel especially if I was to hi-pass above 80hz.

Kudos to Jay and to Danny for putting together and designing this exceptional package!  :thumb:

And thank you Mike (mlundy57) for assembling the crossovers as well as providing me with very detailed soldering instructions!
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2017, 04:48 am by david45 »