Sony PS3 is Boring

viggen

Sony PS3 is Boring
« on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:40 pm »
I bought a new Sony KDL46Z4100 during BFD.  And, this gave me an excuse to get a PS3, so I can have something to display on the 1080p screen (from a 1080p source).

I don't have any Blu-ray discs, but the PS3 performs magnificently as a DVD player.  I've never seen "The Professional" rendered so beautifully on TV before.

What I really liked to do with the PS3 is to play movies I've dled onto the computer.  However, this is really real hit or miss.  Most (actually ALL) movies downloaded are not compatible with the PS3.  And, I've downloaded a few programs that would convert files to become PS3 compatible, but this solution is hit or miss too as the files I recently downloaded could not be converted. 

And, I have linked the PS3 wirelessly with Windows Media on my PC.  However, very few files are recognized on PS3.  It is REALLY hit or miss here.  For example, PS3 would recognize episode 1 of some show but not episode 2.  And, they are the same exact file type.

So, I've pretty much given up trying to play these files on the PS3.  I've transferred movies I want to see from my PC to USB portable drive play it on a laptop that is connected to the TV via RGB. 

Lastly, the games are boring.  I've purchased Little Big Planet, Resistance and Dynasty Warrior 6.  These games are boring on PS3.  I've Dynasty Warrior 4 and 5 on PS2.  And, they are much more involving than Dynasty Warrior 6 on PS3 although the new version has better graphics.  Resistance, I would say is in the same game play category as Dark Watch on PS2.  However, Dark Watch is infinitely more playable.  And, Little Big Planet, despite all the glowing reviews, is just dull.  I enjoy flash games like Crimson Room lots more.  And, it's free.

In conclusion, PS3 is boring. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Sony PS3 is Boring
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:51 pm »
Let's turn this into a "bitch about the PS3 thread".  aa

My PS3 can see (wirelessly) my PC's external USB drive that stores all my tunes in FLAC. It can even tell me all of the tag info, but won't play the damn things. Not that I HAVE to have my FLAC tunes played through the console, but I was curious of the sound quality. I thought it would be fun.
"Little Big Planet" is boring for me, and quickly lost it's appeal to my 10 year old son. Amazing in some aspects, but overall a fizzle.
"Conflict Denied" is about as average as a first person shooter can get.
The couple movies I've seen on it are barely better than regular DVDs (I'm using a 720p/1080i projector, so it's handicapped)

At $60 for games and $20-$30 for movies and the $600 I paid for the console and a couple accesories, I've gotten the verbal kick in the 'nads from the wife:
"You spent HOW much for this POS"....... :whip:

:oops:

Oh well.

Bob

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:58 pm »
Oh, let me add on to this "bitch fest".

I downloaded this particular non-licensed 1080p video that is about a 7 gig file.  I converted it to PS3 compatible using TSUmuxer (I think that's what it's called).  Then I tried to transfer the file onto my USB portable drive.  But, the computer tells me the drive is full although there's like 30 free gigs.  I researched and found out FAT32 format drives cannot transfer files larger than 4gigs.  So, I changed the drive's format to NTSF.  I transfer file to drive no problem.  Then, when I attached the drive to the PS3, it is not recognized.

Turns out, PS3 only support FAT32 drives.  Is this matchine from the 1980s???

And, I can't understand what all this whoopla about Little Big Planet is all about.  I traded it in for Dynasty Warrior 6.  The guy told me I am possible the first person to trade that game in amd possibly the only person he knows that doesn't like the game.  Jokingly, I said the game lacked guns and swords.  He responded by saying "oh then you will like Dynasty Warrior 6".  That didn't turn out to be true.

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:09 pm »
Xbox 360 Rocks!
Fun games.. Netflix, no bluray. I only have a hidef computer screen..., my Mac will pretty much play any format...

I will eventually invest in Bluray/ hidef tv.. But the longer I wait the cheaper things get, and we have a Sony Wega, which is pretty good viewing as far as conventional sets go.
Mike  :D

Cacophonix

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:13 pm »
Try using tversity. I've had better luck with this free software than windows media 11.

bricktop

• performus measurementus
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:18 pm »
Yup, shoulda got an xbox360  aa.  New ones have hdmi outputs, but even the RGB cable i use looks bit-perfect to my 720p tv.  Really great games.  I was a bit frustrated when hd-dvd lost since I bought the external drive, but eh, it was only $99, and came with a nice remote.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:25 pm »
Are you saying the PS3 native games are boring, or games in general? (-which are multi console?) I think great games are few and far between on any system. Having said that, try metal gear solid, try call of duty 4, try Dead space. These are the ones I have found that I like.  There is tons of content out there, depends on what genre of game you like.  I recommend you take advantage of the playstation store free demo downloads before buying. It saved me from bioshock which was highly reviewed, but not for me.

I would never think little big planet looks interesting, on any system.

Can't comment on the file issues. I just play the Blue-rays (and it looks awesome).

Good luck.

Rashiki

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:27 pm »
Turns out, PS3 only support FAT32 drives.  Is this matchine from the 1980s???

No, but Sony apparently didn't want to pay Microsoft the fee to license NTFS, and they must have assumed that not enough people would be able to use an open source filesystem like ext2 to bother adding support for it.

I have a PS3 that primarily serves as my DVD/Blu-Ray player, and I think it does a great job at that. I've also used it to stream media from a server running the Twonky Media server (http://www.twonkyvision.de/). I have tried others in the past, but I found Twonky to be the most reliable.

I only ever buy used games. I can't justify paying $50 or more for a game that will only get a few hours of play. My favorite has been "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion". I also just download the free demo games from the PS store since I rarely have time to play past the first couple of levels anyway.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:31 pm »
Yip, I've got a 360 as well. It's perfect for DVD (Netflix), playing multichannel DVD-A, and oh....There's LOTS of games at a cheaper price.
If I could snap my fingers and make the PS3 go away without loosing a dime, I would.  :cry:
Oh, and the rechargeable controllers are nice, but having to have them "USB'd" to a machine you're suppose to leave turned on.....blows goats. When the internal battery dies, are you supposed to throw the controller away? (I've not read any literature, so I don't know).
A bank of rechargeable "AA" Ni-Cads work fine for the 360 controllers.

Good idea about the free demos guys. I'll have to check into that.

Bob

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2009, 09:18 pm »
I bought my youngest son, now 8, a Wii last year, he's rarely used it the last year and spent more time with his old PS2.
For Christmas this time around he's been hassling me for a 360, after all the hoops I had to go through to get the Wii I wasn't too thrilled about throwing away more $ and started to plant the seed with him about a PS3.  After all we Dad's know that Christmas is for kids - right :thumb:?  If he didn't use it then Dad could reluctantly use it as a Blu-Ray player  aa  My negotiating skills failed, as usual, and he got his 360, also managed to find the new Jasper board.

Well it's been great - he plays on line and talks with his cousins in the UK and an ex-neighbor who's back in India.  I just need to try and police his exposure to the unnecessary use of profanity on XBOX Live when he gets deeper in the community.  He also wanted to rip CD's to the hard drive and instead we figured out how to stream mp3 files from the family computer, which has saved his HD space.  He/We still have more to discover.

Question - haven't tried streaming Flac from my media server, I'm assuming it's not an option.  If I'm wrong then please jump in, it's going to eliminate all the ripping he has planned for me.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2009, 11:14 pm »
I have had my PS3 (already had an XBOX360) for almost a month, so I'm definitely not an expert, but try these things...

Video

One simple solution (with the right program) is to take all your video files and author a DVD with them! Any DVD should play just fine on the PS3. If not, you may have not authored it correctly. I have created many DVDs, and depending on how you author them they may play on one device but not another.

A free program called DVDFlick will easily burn just about ANY video content (flash from Youtube, avi, mpg, etc) to a standard DVD compatible with the PS3. It does all the technical stuff behind the scenes and I highly recommend it for creating DVDs from any video files, with or without menus!

Video files on DVD-R or CD-R disks (seen by the PS3 as a Data Disk on the PS3) can also be played. Believe it or not, you need to ACTIVATE licensing (free) for a few basic video types in the PS3 setup menu, so make sure you have done that.

I have never tried Tversity but  am going to try P3 Video9 soon (free)
http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

Here is a decent guide, and as always read the comments - they may have the best info
http://gizmodo.com/5096103/a-complete-guide-to-playing-video-files-on-your-ps3-xbox-360-or-wii

Games

The selection of games for the XBox is almost universally regarded as better than for the PS3 (not many good original titles) and for the Wii (lousy graphics and not many good original titles). Not that there are not exceptions...

Keep in mind you can pay for and download some less expensive games that are very good. Classic arcade games, and also games like Pain, and WipEpoutHD. I recommend reading the recommendations of ArsTechnica.com for advice from a more mature, technically oriented perspective.

As for LittleBigPlanet, it is supposedly getting an FPS mode, but of course it will still be a sack-boy with a weapon. If you want FPS I reommend Halo on the XBox or XBox360 :)

What makes a good game is a matter of opinion, but there is no question the PS3 is not the number one choice in gaming consoles.

I am hoping that there will be some better games coming out, and that there will be a better networking experience. The PS3 as a platform does have amazing potential (witness the PS2) but there is obviously more to it than a great CPU and a Blu-Ray player   :roll:

viggen

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:10 am »
If I don't already have a spare laptop to hook up to the TV, I will definitely play with the available networking and video capatibility solutions out there.  Since I have a spare laptop that I can hook up to the TV, it is so much less hassle to just watch the video dled with the laptop as source. 

I have to add that although the computer is displayed perfectly on the screen, web browsing is not that enjoyable on a 46" TV.  The fonts are too small.  And, when I do jack up the font size in Firefox, the page looks funny.  And, the font size is not uniform from page to page.  So, I constantly have to increase or decrease font size.  I much prefer doing my computer tasks on a Dell 24" Ultrasharp as I am now.

I want to add that I do have a Wii.  Good titles are few.  We do enjoy the Batman Lego.  The game is playable.  Nothing outrageous about it like Darkwatch or Dragonquest 8 (one of the most addicting game's I've ever played).  However, Wii Sports is very fun.  We're addicted to the bowling game.  We like both the full game and the training modes.  Plus, it gives you a work out (No, I am not a couch potato but why not benefit from a little activity while veging out in front of the TV?).

ooheadsoo

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2009, 04:48 am »
I played Uncharted twice already.  I rarely play games twice.  Great game for ps3.

Tekken 5 online, also ps3 only.  I never thought I would get the chance to have my ass handed to me again like in the old arcade days, but it's baaaaack.

Valkyria Chronicles is also ps3 only and I'm having a great time with it.  Solid strategy rpg gameplay.

Played Call of Duty 4 on ps3, was definitely fun.  I would have preferred PC, of course, but I got tired of upgrading all the time.

I'll probably play fallout 3 and the new prince of persia next on PS3.

I also have MGS4 and GTA4 if I ever feel like getting into them.  Uncharted 2 will come out sooner or later, as will Final Fantasy 894523.  Then Gran Turismo 5.  I'm borrowing my friend's 360 along with his Devil May Cry 4, but if I didn't have it for 360, I could play that on ps3, as well.

Oh, and someone gave me Rockband 2 for Christmas.  Great fun, has lasted for hours, and I don't think I'm close to finishing.  I'll get halfway decent at drums one of these days.

In short, I'm having a pretty grand time on my PS3.  I do agree that it hasn't worked out as a media server quite as well as I anticipated, mostly due to my wireless network being very intermittent.  Haven't had a big problem with getting WM9 to work, though.

jonwb

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2009, 12:02 am »
Thanks for the tips on some good games ooheadsoo.  While I use my PS3 mostly for movies.  I was thinking of getting Uncharted.  You may have put me over the edge to just go get it!

A while back I took a crack at using the PS3's ability to access files from a PC "serving" up media files (pics, movies, music).  I tried a couple things, but found it kinda confusing and didn't have the time to keep my head down and figure it all out.  So I gave up....

For some reason this thread motivated me to give it another shot.  I do the BlockBuster movie thing.  For a while now, when I get a new movie in the mail I'd just back it up to a blank DVD (DVDShrink) and watch it when I get around to it.  But after a period of time I'd be swimming in anonymous DVD's (driving my wife crazy).  And lets face it, most movies aren't really good enough to have a "real" copy of (legit or not).

I was thinking it sure would be nice if I could park the movie on my hard drive, watch it on my TV (w/ 5.1 audio and all) (from my PS3 over wireless from my computer) and if I liked the movie go ahead and make the backup or [gulp] buy it.  After some digging I came across this application:

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Its written just for this purpose, just for the PS3.  Its as about as simple as you can get.  Granted you still have to get the movie from the DVD to your hard drive in an appropriate format.  I'm still working on the best way to do that. 

I do have a collection of about 50+ movies I scaled to 640x480 and compressed pretty heavily (about 500MB per movie), that I made for watching on a PDA that I used to carry around.  These files are also nice to have on my laptop hard drive so I have something to watch when I'm traveling.  All those movies are XVid files, and they stream like butter over to my PS3 using this software.  Its kinda cool going to the "video" icon and going to the server icon and seeing a big list of movies there that I told the software to share.

The PS3 Media Server app is also cool for viewing pictures on your TV from the PC.  The PS3 has kind of a neat picture viewing app.  It would be nice if it had a bit more flexibility w/ setting up a slideshow, but its not bad.  I have hundreds and hundreds of pics on my PC, and its nice to flip through them w/o having to actually put them on a mem stick or copying them to the PS3 hard drive.

Sorry for the long post!!   :duh: 

lord_glum

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:23 am »
The only thing i will say is $59 for a ps3 game is at least "thinkable"....it is a blue ray for what is worth (usually not much).  the xbox sells you a dvd fo $59 and the wii sells you a low def dvd for $49.  I personally think all games are 2 darn expensive.

for games....all but a couple are multi platform so games are there.  Unless you want gears of war, halo or left 4 dead.  Hey Killzone comes out this month....

thanks,
Jvo

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:04 pm »
I bought a PS3 when it first came out.  My kids use it mostly for gaming.  I use it occasionally to watch a Blu-Ray movie with but also game with it from time to time.

The problem I have with the PS3 (or any game console for that matter) is that it is not a good gaming platform for the type of games I like to play.  I like mostly action games, and a console controller simply lacks the precision of a keyboard and mouse.  I made the mistake of buying an action game for the PS3 that received good reviews and after about an hour of frustration with the controller I ran to my far superior PC and never looked back.

That said, there are, to be fair, some fine games for the PS3.  Little Big Planet is a real stunner and a pure pleasure to play -- perhaps the best game on the PS3.  There are other excellent games for the PS3 too, but when it comes to action games the PC is much better.

--Jerome

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2010, 08:29 pm »
Well...I use it (PS3 slim) for everything..CD transport via toslink to my DAC, blu-ray player, Games, one of the best pieces I own. I agree with "Little Big Planet" as THE game for PS3...I like racing games, and RTS' so I'm good with mine and it travels well back and fourth with me when I visit the kids...carry along babysitter!!! LOL :dance:

cujobob

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2010, 08:46 pm »
I've owned but disliked the PS1 and the PS2 (as well as the PSP) and the PS3 is the one Sony product I have to say was well designed and quite nice.  The lasers dying at such a high rate is inexcusable, however.  The 360 wasn't as well designed because it's noisier, had the lesser supported HD option (HD-DVD) and it was only an optional accessory, had an insanely high failure rate from the RROD, bulkier controls which require batteries, sloppier online menus (IMHO), and the online gaming requires a fee.  I enjoyed the Xbox by comparison with the PS2, I cannot say the same for the 360.  FWIW, I own every console.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2010, 09:55 pm »
There is a learning curve for using the game controller for FPS games.  Once you do, it's almost second nature. 

Gran Turismo will be out soon!

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2010, 10:59 pm »
There is a learning curve for using the game controller for FPS games.  Once you do, it's almost second nature. 

Not everyone has the ability or patience to master the tactile control required with a console controller.

The good news is that there is choice for people who prefer the PC for FPS action games.  There are a few console-only games that I can't play...but there are plenty of great games for the PC available and I don't feel as though I am missing a thing.

--Jerome