Unifield 3 setup question

jasonjjue

Unifield 3 setup question
« on: 2 Jul 2018, 03:28 am »
Hi all,

Another Unifield 3 question. Are there guidelines for the Unifield 3 setup? I have only tried placing  the top module on different positions and the soeakers sounded very different. I think the difference might be more dignicant when I move the bass module too. My room is 20x14x10 (LWH). Source is MacBook Pro through USB to Lampizator Lite 7 then Vitus RI100.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2018, 04:39 am by jasonjjue »

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Re: Unifield 3 setup questio
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2018, 04:01 pm »
The midrange/treble cabinet should be set back 1" from the front of the bass cabinet:)

jasonjjue

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2018, 03:15 am »
Thank you that’s great feedback. I’ve been trying to figure out how to place these cabinets. Thoughts on the distance from the front wall and side walls? Toe in?

Should I use 2 pair of cables as bi-wired or use jumpers?

kernelbob

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2018, 10:44 pm »
Separate cables will sound better than jumpers.  The crossover of the mid/treble input has very high impedance in the bass frequencies, preventing bass current from flowing to that input.  As a result, there is very little associated magnetic field generated by bass frequencies in the cable connected to the M/T input which would otherwise interact with the M/T signal.

Whether you use bi-wire cables or completely separate cables is a matter of cost.  Using separate cables does provide the opportunity to bi-amp your system at some future date without having to replace the bi-wire cables.

Best, Robert

jasonjjue

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2018, 12:12 am »
Thank you Robert! I plan to use 2 sets of cables. No plan for bi-amp at this moment though.