Sound Absorption

bbybaudio

Sound Absorption
« on: 21 Jun 2023, 02:09 pm »
I used to use the 24 X 48 styrofoam sound diffuser/diffractor panels behind my X5 speakers and behind the listneing position. Thought they did a good job until I put up the ATS Acoustics Sound Absorption Panels behind the X5s. Wow! What a major improvement in sound in my room. Bonus, they look good, come in a variety of fabric colors and they are fairly inexpensive.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Sound Absorption
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2023, 04:09 pm »
  Nothing like treating your room. First reflection points on walls and ceilings worked fine. Then diffusion on front wall nailed it.

charles

DaveWin88

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2023, 05:14 pm »
I used to use the 24 X 48 styrofoam sound diffuser/diffractor panels behind my X5 speakers and behind the listneing position. Thought they did a good job until I put up the ATS Acoustics Sound Absorption Panels behind the X5s. Wow! What a major improvement in sound in my room. Bonus, they look good, come in a variety of fabric colors and they are fairly inexpensive.
Funny that you mentioned acoustic panels. Not sure if you've seen the video that The Absolute Sound just posted. It's crazy that we spend big :) money on gear but ignore treatment. I'm getting serious about getting my room right. Glad you had great results.

Mr. Big

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2023, 02:04 pm »
The room is your final sound no different than a concert hall where they have their "own" sound. To hear the best of your system and the money you have invested, put the room acoustics #1 on your list. Don't spend money on new gear use that money to improve your room.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2023, 05:52 pm »
I remember installing my acoustic panels, during early covid days.Right after I did first reflection part on walls and ceiling and the bass traps, I put my gear back, what the difference that was, the treated part of the room no echo clap, the untreated part big echo clap.But, when I finished off the whole room, the sound became different.Of course, I was skeptical at first, those panels and bass traps are not cheap, but it was worthed and it's done once and for all.My room treatment was done Vicoustic from Portugal.I sent them all room measurements and pictures, few days later, I have received blue print.They recommended to keep walls treatment as symmetrical as possible, for example, if one wall has door, leave the gap on the opposite wall.Keeping the ceiling symmetrical to walls wasn't that important, but it's good to keep it close, especially first reflection.The blue print is still in my gallery, if enyone wants to see it.Three years ago, I paid 50 euro for my project request, three years later and it's 130 euro.

DaveWin88

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2023, 03:45 am »
Thought I would post a link to the video I mentioned. Great information.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtUcfiaN6CY&t=1612s

DaveWin88

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2023, 03:04 am »
Guys great sale on ASC acoustic science corp. I just purchased a set of 13.3 tube traps. Would have liked to save $300.00 on the purchase :)
https://shop.acousticsciences.com/collections/for-hifi-listening-rooms