Sony SSCS5 Upgrade

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Re: Sony SSCS5 Upgrade
« Reply #60 on: 2 Nov 2023, 11:19 pm »
Created a new thread for this Wilson Duette speaker.  The Sony is awesome!!

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=187454.new#new

jmimac351

« Reply #61 on: 19 Dec 2023, 02:43 pm »
Frederick just finished a set of Sony crossovers for me.  Looking forward to playing with these in my $63 Sony SS-CS5 speakers  :green:

I thought about having him mount these to a single board for each speaker, as I'm not sure I am going to put them inside the speakers.  It occurred to me it's best to build them as separate boards, so I could have that flexibility down the road to put them inside the enclosures. 

The output wires will be 40" long (extra long so I can trim to suit), as I may mount them on the column of the stand and / or make an enclosure for them, similar to my Wilson Duette project.  Rather than introducing another set of connections in a crossover enclosure, the wires will run straight from the crossover to tube connectors on the speaker enclosure.

goggle1824

« Reply #62 on: 19 Dec 2023, 03:07 pm »
That looks like a seriously well laid-out crossover, neat and tidy! Following with much interest!

mkrawcz

« Reply #63 on: 20 Dec 2023, 12:08 am »
Frederick just finished a set of Sony crossovers for me.  Looking forward to playing with these in my $63 Sony SS-CS5 speakers  :green:

I thought about having him mount these to a single board for each speaker, as I'm not sure I am going to put them inside the speakers.  It occurred to me it's best to build them as separate boards, so I could have that flexibility down the road to put them inside the enclosures. 

They have to be on separate boards if going in the speaker as there is no room for one board.

jmimac351

« Reply #64 on: 20 Dec 2023, 12:47 am »
They have to be on separate boards if going in the speaker as there is no room for one board.

Yep, that's why we did separate boards - I can do it either way. I should have them Saturday. :rock:
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2023, 04:31 am by jmimac351 »

jmimac351

« Reply #65 on: 24 Dec 2023, 01:45 am »
Frederick making me look good with Sony SS-CS5 crossovers...  :rock:

« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2023, 03:08 am by jmimac351 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 24 Dec 2023, 03:58 pm »
I can't wait to hear a comparison of the stock Wilsons compared to the modified Sony's.

mkrawcz

« Reply #67 on: 24 Dec 2023, 04:17 pm »
I can't wait to hear a comparison of the stock Wilsons compared to the modified Sony's.
I can’t wait to hear the comparison of the upgraded Wilson’s compared fm the Sony’s.  :D

jmimac351

« Reply #68 on: 24 Dec 2023, 04:52 pm »

I can’t wait to hear the comparison of the upgraded Wilson’s compared fm the Sony’s.  :D

It's probably going to be a real headache that will require counseling.

"Yeah, but the Wilson's don't need a sub"

"Well, for the same money as the Wilson's, I could have a pair of Otica in their spot and the Sony's that are easy to carry around, and still enough money for Chic-fil-A."

"But they are cool... they have an 8" driver and Danny hasn't made a 2-way with his 8" driver, yet".

"But the Wilson's are nice and special, and I like owning nice things."

"Well, she's OK with me having all of these speakers, and I'm having fun anyway..."

The handy part is the SVS subs allow presets.  So I can have a preset for the Sony's and a preset for the Duette.  My Ayre VX-5 Twenty amp (which I absolutely LOVE - Zero Negative Feedback) has 2 sets of Cardas binding posts on the back.  Besides, I'll have tube connectors.  I'll be able to swap in a different setup in seconds / hit a preset on the sub...

I wonder if this will be a bit of a story where measurements don't quite tell the entire story.  The 8" Scan-Speak driver in the Duette is no joke, and there's no replacement for displacement... but the narrower baffle of the Sony...

You see? A real headache.  The struggle is real! 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #69 on: 24 Dec 2023, 07:13 pm »
The Wilsons have a seriously good cabinet and outstanding drivers.  Once you get in the upgraded crossovers, I doubt very many speakers in the world will come close to them.  And they look very cool. 

IMO the NX-Oticas with triple OB subs will be better, but that's because I like OB speakers better than box speakers. 

jmimac351

« Reply #70 on: 26 Dec 2023, 12:24 am »
I knew there was a reason why I've been saving these boxes for years!  Don't listen to her when she says you need to throw them away!

The board fit in the box with a friction fit... Like A Glove!  Ha!  Frederick must be a "Brother of the Leaf". :thumb:

jmimac351

« Reply #71 on: 26 Dec 2023, 12:28 am »

goggle1824

« Reply #72 on: 26 Dec 2023, 12:59 am »
 :rotflmao:  :lol:

mkrawcz

« Reply #73 on: 26 Dec 2023, 01:01 am »
Alright that’s it. Frederick has inspired me to build a set of external crossovers for the Sonys. They won’t be as nice as his, but I think external is the way to go with these.

snaimpally

« Reply #74 on: 26 Dec 2023, 01:17 am »
I have a pair of Sony SSC5 that I tried out for a few months. Bought new from Amazon. Still have the original boxes. If anyone is interested in buying them to upgrade, just shoot me a message.