Triple 12" OB H-frames

Captainhemo

Re: Triple 12" OB H-frames
« Reply #200 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:08 pm »
I was looking for.  It sounds like they probably do but of course once I read up on the triples it sounds like they should more then satisfy me.  Just had not been able to find anyone around me with OB subs to listen to.  I think these forums have convinced me enough to go ahead and order the parts to start the build though.

Where  are you  located ?

jay

Hogweed75

« Reply #201 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:26 pm »
Where  are you  located ?

jay

Near Raleigh, NC.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #202 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:30 pm »
If not using the internal woofer of the ET’s I’m wondering if OB subs can handle (well) covering from 180Hz on down? 
You’re thoughts on using a pair of F12’s to just bring in the bottom end of the ET’s we’re my original thought. If a pair of triples would cover from 180Hz down then this sounds like the best way to go.

A quad in OB (two per side) worked just fine when I did it (take the ET woofers out of the chain completely).  IF I had triples at the time, I would have used them.

In my case, I ended up leaving the ET woofers in and using the sealed subs because the amp I had at the time didn't like playing as nicely with the load the mid/tweeter circuit of the ETs alone versus when the woofer was back in the circuit, and I was also doing double duty with the speakers for home theater in a medium-smaller room, so I needed the subs to pressurize the room for action movies occasionally.  How the room is loaded (or not) aside, for music, and playing that far up (200Hz-ish) rather than crossing down at 80Hz-ish, the OB subs were clearly better, and did change the lower midrange of the speaker a bit in character; I'm not even going to try to articulate much past that because it was a very long time ago and I can't reliably remember enough to make a good showing of describing it.

I'm pretty confident that not only will you be very happy with the OB triples, I wouldn't be afraid to put money down that the subs will outlast your speakers as you continue on in the hobby if you change your system later over time; they really are that good.

One more thing - when you put the OB subs in place, if you can, high pass the signal going to the mid/tweeter amps so that they don't get any of the low frequency signal (I crossed them over with different points between 60Hz and 120Hz when I was messing around tuning the system I had).  Even with only the mid/tweeter circuit running where the mid driver is only playing down to 180Hz, offloading the lows from the mid/tweet section really made a difference for the better when I did it; the change wasn't night and day, but wasn't subtle either.

Captainhemo

« Reply #203 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:41 pm »
Near Raleigh, NC.

I can hook you up with someone who's running  a  set of OB triples / NX-Oticas if you  likie.    Shoot me  a PM if you're interested

Hogweed75

« Reply #204 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:46 pm »
It would be nice if the triples could improve the lower midrange that I get from the ET’s.  I’m hoping for a little fuller body and more textures on the lower end of vocals without causing bloat and of course a more robust attack on drums on down.  And like you say, eventually I may end up with other speakers. 

kduthie

« Reply #205 on: 11 Aug 2018, 05:52 am »
New member and new to the audiophile world.  Also have ET LFT 8bs and considering the the triple H frame OB subs.  Just checking in to see if there are any updates.

Danny Richie

« Reply #206 on: 11 Aug 2018, 05:14 pm »
New member and new to the audiophile world.  Also have ET LFT 8bs and considering the the triple H frame OB subs.  Just checking in to see if there are any updates.

You can order the kits here: http://gr-research.com/servosubkit5.aspx

And I am pretty sure that jay can cut you some flat packs.

I know they will integrate better with those panels than the lower woofer that comes with them.

Captainhemo

« Reply #207 on: 11 Aug 2018, 05:18 pm »
Yup, need a  bit of lead time but here you go:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139480.0

jay

kduthie

« Reply #208 on: 14 Aug 2018, 10:18 am »
Thank you Danny and Jay,

I am afraid that I don't have the time nor the skill to build these.  Do you know anyone that would build and sell a turn key pair of two-way and amps or three-way and amps?  My room is about 5000 cubic feet.  Recommendation of two-way vs. three-way?  They would also need to be shipped to Davis (95618), CA near Sacramento.

Captainhemo

« Reply #209 on: 14 Aug 2018, 04:58 pm »
We have  sent out  finished cabinets  in the past but they are big  and heavy.  If you want to   talk ,  shoot me a  PM

There  are  some pics in the flat pack thread  I posted above of some of  our finished cabinets.....  that pair of  Midnight Purple  triples might b for sale at a  good price......

jay

This pair which actually  look gloss black  a lot of the time unless the  sun/or bright light  is directly  o them..... at that point, the paint  turns into a  dark, metallic  purple  (see Nissan Infinity).  There are a  set of  front  grill frames  and matching  amp boxes

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2018, 10:37 pm by Captainhemo »

kduthie

« Reply #210 on: 15 Aug 2018, 04:15 am »
Hi Jay.  Those are beautiful! Sent a PM

Captainhemo

« Reply #211 on: 15 Aug 2018, 04:54 am »
Hi Jay.  Those are beautiful! Sent a PM

Yup,  got  your  PM,   let me  reply  in the am..  been  a bit of  a  long  eve here....
jay