Amp choice needed,, ready to lay down $$$$$

Early B.

Re: Amp choice needed,, ready to lay down $$$$$
« Reply #40 on: 1 May 2021, 01:31 pm »
OP -- for your budget, consider monoblocks. Typically better sound: 

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649735113-pass-labs-xa-605-mono-block-power-amplifiers/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #41 on: 1 May 2021, 02:55 pm »
  Many Amps to choose from. The Amp chosen should have a known synergy with the speakers you use. Choose wisely and try to hear before you buy one.

charles

Nsm1979

« Reply #42 on: 1 May 2021, 03:57 pm »
If looking for synergy, check out the Cherry amps by Digital Amplifier Company.  Tommy’s amps are special.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #43 on: 1 May 2021, 03:59 pm »
:D what I was thinking is,, everybody has Pass Labs !! Big power and $$ .  So many good SS amps I bet. The VAC will work with most with ease. Just thinking out loud.  Not sure I need big Pass power ?  Plus I really have never heard Class A ,, is it really the shit ?   :D

I really like class A.  However, it is really about how it is implemented. I love the sound of Pass amps.  My X250 leaves Class A at  about 15wpc.  But the amp rarely leaves  Class A even at loud levels with my Magnepan 1.6 speakers.  The meter on the front lets you know when the amp leaves Class A.  It is amazing at how little watts you use even at loud volumes.  The only time my amp leaves class A for a second or two is on huge dynamic bursts. 

A friend of mine has a pair of XA100.5's which are 100wpc Class A and it sounds very similar to my amp just better as the mono's should.  The typical sound is smooth yet detailed but not overly detailed.  No grain or glare.  The amps are neutral to maybe a hint of warmth with a huge deep sound stage and thunderous controlled bass but not overly dampened or tight.  Pass does have a house sound but different series do sound a little different.

If you are looking for a hyper detailed amp with extreme resolution, look elsewhere.  AVA amps like the SET 400 are an excellent alternative.  When I reviewed the AVA it gave my Pass X250 a run for the money but my amp is a design from the early 2000's.  The newer Pass amps sound way better.

RPM123

« Reply #44 on: 1 May 2021, 05:05 pm »
:D what I was thinking is,, everybody has Pass Labs !! Big power and $$ .  So many good SS amps I bet. The VAC will work with most with ease. Just thinking out loud.  Not sure I need big Pass power ?  Plus I really have never heard Class A ,, is it really the shit ?   :D

Nelson Pass says that Class A is tube or tube like sound without the hassle of tubes. I went from a tube amp to a Class A amp (Sugden) and have not regretted it one bit. Although I must admit I do like looking at  output tubes, but not replacing them. :D

Randy

Re: Amp choice needed,,,,ready to lay down$$$$$
« Reply #45 on: 1 May 2021, 05:44 pm »
:D the pass 250 fell through. The speakers I have are 4 ohm so not much power needed really.  A good quality SS amp is needed to finish my last buying binge. The speakers are ProAc D48r ,, with the VAC pre with phono.   I'm looking at maybe a 5 grand amp to finish this trip I've been on. Used is so good but sometimes you can wait forever just to save a lot ,,ha , or a little if it's not that old. Listen to old time R&R and such. So many good amps out there these days. Sure don't want to blow this last step.  :D

Check out the NAD C298. It's an amp that does a disappearing act.  You just aren't aware that it's there.

2bigears

« Reply #46 on: 1 May 2021, 06:16 pm »
 :D sounds like class A is the stuff. AVA is very affordable.  Pass gear is $$ , but i don't need the bigger amps for sure. The smaller,newer models and used might be the ticket.  :D. Paradox of Choice  :duh:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #47 on: 1 May 2021, 07:02 pm »
  Pass gear in my experience has dry character. With a tubed preamp better. Missed the speakers you are using.

charles

2bigears

« Reply #48 on: 1 May 2021, 07:14 pm »
 :D Pass must sound dam good as they sell like hot cakes at $$$$.  Can't be that dry. Speakers are ProAc D48'S .....  not a heavy load but they like enough power to make them sing. As all speakers. Ha.  :D

RDavidson

« Reply #49 on: 1 May 2021, 07:55 pm »
Pass amps are never dry, though this is relative. If you're used to the very saturated sound of some tube amps, then listened to one of the Pass series with lower class A bias (the X series not XA) then I can see how one might feel they have a dry sound. Or if you listened to the First Watt F5, then I can definitely understand the "dry" assessment. Obviously speaker matching is very important. I once paired an XA30.5 with KEF LS50's and the result was far less than stellar. I also had a pass INT-150 for a long while. It and the X150.5 are not favorites in the Pass stable. Some have even called them "cold." In direct comparison to the INT-30A (XA30.5 and XA30.8 ) I would definitely not call the INT-150 (X150.5) cold. It is simply less warm, but definitely still on the warmer side. Vocals are always a true test and I never felt human voices sounded unnatural. A dry, cold, or clinical amp would not sound like this.

I.Greyhound Fan's general assessment is accurate to my experience as well. Comparing the .5 series to the newer .8, I would definitely say the .8 series is even more warm, open, big and full yet still detailed and controlled. I'm a fan of Pass amps. Nelson does an amazing job walking a fine line between accuracy and harmonic "embellishment," similar to tubes in many ways.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #50 on: 1 May 2021, 08:06 pm »
Spot on RDavidson.  My X250 in 1 review said it had a dry character.  That is far from the truth as it is very musical and dynamic.  There is no excess midrange bloom that some amps can give you.  The matching X1 preamp was dry.  I had one and sold it and bought a BAT VK51se tube preamp which is a great match for the X250.  The older Pass preamps were just OK.  The newer preamps and newer X series amps are very musical.  I owned a Parasound A21, now that amp could sound a little dry.