Break in for Omega Speakers

bebop Len

« on: 18 Mar 2006, 04:28 am »
I've seen anything from 100 to 400 hours are required to fully break in the Fostex Drivers, any opinons on this and whether it matters if you just
leave them in a room playing FM for a few weeks, whether its better to use CD's or vinyl-etc.

onemug

« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2006, 02:45 am »
I think in 100 to 200 hrs they will be mostly there. I'd favor using FM as opposed to wearing out your CD mechinism. You can wire "one" of the speakers opposite the other, put them face to face, maybe throw a blanket over them. Wired out of phase like that they won't sound as loud. That will give the drivers more excursion. Be patient. Enjoy.

texendo

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2006, 03:32 am »
I went through the same thing, and it seems as though the important thing during break-in is that you really give the drivers a good "work-out" so to say.  

Plenty of volume (WITHOUT distortion) is key.  It seems to be generally thought that lots of bass moves the drivers more, and this results in a quicker breaking-in of the drivers.  I used a stereophile break-in track that "warbles" through the audible spectrum.  

I also used the technique mentioned previously; it allows you to really turn things up without disturbing the neighbors.

kbuzz3

longer then you think
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2006, 03:13 am »
if also used the out of phase blanket process.  They sounded better after 300 plus.  If you have the time keep them working as long as you can

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2006, 12:55 am »
Hi bebop Len,

Great posts and the first 100 is gets you pretty close. The drivers need to move for sure and loosen up. I use bass sweeps here and it’s a bit faster. FM is very good too. Certain drivers need more than others. The longest break in is the F120A and the hemps. The hemps are very different as they are a roller coaster during break in.

Thanks again,
Louis

schotter

hey Louis,
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2006, 03:46 pm »
'just plug and play those puppies' I thought, eventually they will be broken in...am I right or is there a certain time frame they need to be worked at high volume? Is there something like an insufficient break-in due to 'normal' music and volume? I would not mind waiting a bit longer than to bass-sweep my living room for weeks and FM is only slightly better...

sickboymech5

break in?
« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2006, 10:51 pm »
Well i have about 150 hrs on my xrs floor standing and they sound amazing thus far? cant compare to the zu druid"s  less dolars and more soundstaging as far as im concerined