1801b hookup - which binding posts are the tweet/woof?

stellablues

Which set of binding posts are the tweeter and which are the woofers? Are they mirror imaged between speakers or the same side on each speaker. I thought to hookup the main cable to the tweeter and the jumpers to the woofer, but I don't know which is which without opening them up....

Ron Stewart

• http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/
Re: 1801b hookup - which binding posts are the tweet/woof?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2008, 02:23 pm »
I don't know how Dave or others configure their posts, but you can find out without opening the speakers. Just connect the cables from the amp to one pair of posts and disconnect the jumpers. If you hear only treble, the cables are connected to the tweeter posts. Otherwise, the cables are connected to the woofer posts.

Ron

tgp06

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2008, 01:59 am »
Normally, the top set is the tweeter and the bottom set the woofer. Ron's advice is accurate to be certain. Keep the volume down if you are only powering the tweeter. Not sure how much power the OW1s will handle, but you sure don't want to smoke check them(sounds bad and smells terrible)! The right posts are generally red and left are black. FWIW, I've never seen a mirror image binding post setup on the numerous speakers I'm familiar with.
        Tom

Ron Stewart

• http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2008, 02:15 pm »
One more note on this topic... I dug up my 1801 assembly manual, and it says this:

I mount the binding posts all horizontally. The tweeter pair is on the left and the woofer pair is on the right.

From that, I would assume that the left pair of posts on each speaker is for the tweeter.

Ron

tgp06

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2008, 02:53 pm »
Good catch, Ron. I forgot all about a horizontal post setup! My B&W 801s have those, but are arranged with the woofer set on the left and tweeters on the right(labelled LF+,LF-,HF+,HF-; with the + also marked with a red washer). Ron is giving you the best advice. Sorry for any confusion.
      Tom