Experiences anyone with a turntable wall mount for their Amadeus?

jsawyer09

I was thinking of adding a turntable wall mount for my Amadeus. We're currently in the process of building a house, and I am designing a 2-channel room above our garage (bonus room, essentially). I have an IsoBlue audio rack and will be short one rack, so was looking for an appropriate mount/system—it's not necessarily for isolation or anything like that. The Amadeus is a big bugger, so wondered if anyone had any ideas or experiences. Thanks all!

mick wolfe

Suspended wood floors can be a problem with some tables and especially speakers for that matter. Just a guess as I'm not a structural engineer, but if you're still in the framing stage, I might double up the 2 x 4 ( or 2 x 6) framing in the area below the wall where the Amadeus is going to be mounted. Probably double up framing upstairs in the area where the you're going to mount the shelf as well. Now if everything has been drywalled by now, never mind. At this point I would study the various wall mount systems (or even a DIY approach) and determine which would work best in your situation. In addition, even though a corner location is structurally favorable, I've heard many times it's far from an ideal location for a TT due to standing waves. I'll let the experts chime in here.

jsawyer09

Suspended wood floors can be a problem with some tables and especially speakers for that matter. Just a guess as I'm not a structural engineer, but if you're still in the framing stage, I might double up the 2 x 4 ( or 2 x 6) framing in the area below the wall where the Amadeus is going to be mounted. Probably double up framing upstairs in the area where the you're going to mount the shelf as well. Now if everything has been drywalled by now, never mind. At this point I would study the various wall mount systems (or even a DIY approach) and determine which would work best in your situation. In addition, even though a corner location is structurally favorable, I've heard many times it's far from an ideal location for a TT due to standing waves. I'll let the experts chime in here.

Hey Mick, how have you been?
We've just broke ground, so nothing's set in stone just yet, though I have been talking to our builder about my needs for the room, and you've pretty-much hit upon many things we've considered. He's a long-time family friend, so is totally in-tune with what I'm looking at so the room's as close to ideal without getting crazy with the budget.
Our current house which we're about to close on was never ideal for audio, yet it sounded quite good and measured well. The floors were less than ideal, yet you could jump up and down forcefully next to the turntable and never affect it in the least (i.e., footfalls were never much of a problem, though theoretically it should've been).
Anyway, I really am just looking for ideas on certain brands that might work; and if the shelving unit, itself, is too small (not the mounting hardware, per se), I could always make one from maple or bamboo.

mick wolfe

It's all good here.....thx for asking. I think at this point I would strongly consider a DIY design. This allows you to create a base shelf with plenty of room for your needs. Then of course, ( if the GTA still doesn't offer a leveling option) a second base for the table itself that allows you to adjust leveling. My guess though is that you've probably dealt with this ( leveling base) already.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Many moons ago a read a wall mounting TT test where the rewiwer informed the wall resonances disturbed the TT and was audible on the speakers.

mick wolfe

Many moons ago a read a wall mounting TT test where the rewiwer informed the wall resonances disturbed the TT and was audible on the speakers.

That's one of the reasons I suggested a DIY approach.  Let's one experiment with decoupling as part of the final design. This could be introduced thru the secondary leveling platform that's required anyway.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
What do you suggest ? Rubber, Felt?

jsawyer09

What do you suggest ? Rubber, Felt?

Good idea(s) Mick.
For beginners, I'd think cork and/or a thin sheet of sorbothane might do the trick.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Good idea(s) Mick.
For beginners, I'd think cork and/or a thin sheet of sorbothane might do the trick.
If the desired effect is isolation avoid cork.

mick wolfe

Good idea(s) Mick.

When I built my leveling base for the Amadeus, I sandwiched 6 small mouse pads between two large maple cutting boards. I posted a pic here a couple days ago on the Well Tempered Forum. It was in the thread where the OP was debating between the Amadeus Mk.1 or Mk.2. But again, that custom steel/maple rack you can barely see in the pic is spiked to a concrete floor. Considering you're dealing with a suspended wood floor, you'll probably have to experiment with additional decoupling aside from just treating the leveling base alone.

/mp

Yep, mouse pads substantially dampen vibrations. Two taped together underneath every mic was the SOP setup when I produced academic recordings.

Good luck with the project.