Cable Comparison

Adz523

Cable Comparison
« on: 11 Mar 2004, 02:34 am »
As Wayne knows, I am extremely happy with my purhase of the M-80 Audioconnects and the Napalm digital cable.  

I'd like to seek out some opinions on the following: I currently have the Monster Z (not M) series for my front L&R, Center and Subwoofer cables.  I bi-wire the fronts including the center.  My speakers are top of the line Definitve Technology 7000s and all have built in subwoofers.  In total, I probably spent about $800 (due to the bi-wiring) or so on these speaker cables.  

Can someone tell me who is familar enough with Monster Z to know whether the bolder speaker and sub cables would represent a significant upgrade in sound from what I currrently have and why?  I am willing to take the write-off and put the investment in, but not, as you can imagine, if there isn't a very noticeable difference.

Thanks,

Marbles

Cable Comparison
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2004, 02:44 am »
I had Monster Z2 (still have it, but not in use).  I went through a bunch of cables after the Z2, like DHLabs SS T-14 and Q10, Groneberg Quatro, and  Bolder Cross Connect.  The Latest has been the Bolder Nitro.

The Nitro is very detailed yet has plenty of bass.  I have not heard the M-80, but heard it is better then the Cross connect.  The Nitro kills the Z2 in every catagory I can think of.  The M80 should be much better than the Z2 as well from the comparison of the CC to the Z2.

bubba966

Cable Comparison
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2004, 06:00 am »
Well, I can probably answer this one for 'ya...

I had Monster MCX-2S on my center channel. Replaced it with this cable Wayne built me.

It's an M-80 with Eichmann Bayonets & a Bybee.

It sounded a good deal cleaner. And much more realistic. But I'd expected that. I also got a lot cleaner more defined bass, and just more bass output as well. :o Was a pleasant bonus. Didn't think I'd been missing so much bass, especially from a center channel...

The M-80 performed exactly like I'd read both here, and at HD. I was skeptical about getting more bass from a center channel, but it happened... :roll:  :lol:

I really need to have the same cables built for my L & R speaks (they've still got MCX-2S on them). They don't even sound like the same speaker (even though they're identical to the center) anymore, that's how much of an improvement the M-80 cable made.

I was also running Monster M351 Sub cable. Wayne built me a nice M-80 sub cable w/Silver Eichmann bullet plugs. It's very nice... :mrgreen:

I didn't feel like my subs were putting out loose bass at all. But switching over to the M-80 cable over the Monster M351 tightened up the output, resulting in noticeably cleaner, very tight bass. I'm very happy with that upgrade.

So while I'm using M Series Monster, and not Z Series (I think the Z2 & MCX-2S are about the same thing), that should give you an idea of what you could expect from upgrading to M-80 over your current Monster stuff.

Adz523

Cable Comparison
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2004, 10:02 am »
Thanks for your comments so far.  What about the fact that I have my speakers currently bi-wired.  Do you see a significant sonic advantage from that in general and do you still see a distinct advantage by the bolder cable over the z-cable if I run a single wire for the bolder and I bi-wire with the monster z?

bubba966

Cable Comparison
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2004, 06:09 am »
If you ran a single run of M-80 & got M-80 Jumpers, I've not a doubt that it'd be a significant improvement over the Z Series you're running now.

Wayne could certainly better explain why a single run & good jumpers works well.

I'd asked him once why he didn't offer bi-wire cables, and he explained why he's had better luck with a single run & jumpers. But I don't remember the specifics well enough to explain it at this moment.

And if you can use the Eichmann Bayonet plugs, do it. Excellent connectors. I'd use them over spades or regular bananas any day.