MENSA outsmarted?

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
MENSA outsmarted?
« on: 19 Jan 2004, 04:04 am »
Perhaps it was the onslaught of Musical Fidelity reviews in SPhile, but I succumbed and bought the recently released Trivista 21 Tube Dac. It should arrive next week. I will put it through its burn in paces and then do an A/B against the MENSA to see how it fares.

I listened to the MF against two players: a Cary 300 series tube CD and the MF 308 (auditions were at NYC's Sound by Singer). No contest. The Trivista was a leap ahead of both players (and less expensive by $1000).

I can't say I expect the MENSA to best the Trivista (otherwise I wouldn't have laid down the long green), but it will be interesting to see how it does

dvb

So, how much is the TriVista? nt
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2004, 01:44 am »
nt

Pez

MENSA outsmarted?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2004, 02:15 am »
Well the mensa sure sounded better than the shitty ass trivista CD player I listened to.  Ive never heard there DAC but if it's anything like there top of the line pre-amps, amps, cdps, etc you're up shit creek without a paddle.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
MENSA outsmarted?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2004, 02:37 am »
Don't pussyfoot around, Pez; what do you really think of the Musical Fidelity stuff? :wink:

TheChairGuy

MENSA outsmarted?
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2004, 03:01 am »
Quote from: Pez
Well the mensa sure sounded better than the shitty ass trivista CD player I listened to.  Ive never heard there DAC but if it's anything like there top of the line pre-amps, amps, cdps, etc you're up shit creek without a paddle.

Hmmm Pez, maybe 'SingerBull' would reply and we could move this litle ditty in to the Fight Club where it may be heading anyhow....

:?:

ABEX

MENSA outsmarted?
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2004, 03:06 am »
Not trying to stick up for MF ,but I would really consider the synergy factor in.

I recently went to listen to Vandies and they sucked,but the reason was because of the equipment they had them hooked up to.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way I can get a fair eval for myself is if I can have the piece in my house for more than a month. There are exceptions as  some things cannot be helped.

Just thinking!

davehg

Trivista info and experience
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2004, 07:02 am »
The Trivista is not cheap: $2400 but the dealer will give you back $400 on any DAC "trade in" (think: original Art DI/O), making the spend about $2000. The Trivista has the same analog output stage as the Trivista SACD player, but different digital front end, supposedly better than the Trivista SACD player by a few degrees. I have heard the Trivista DAC takes about 300 hours to break in and sounds thin and compressed during the first 100 hours.

The demo unit I listened to certainly did not sound thin. It was instantly musical, so much ahead of the Cary tube CD player that I was quite shocked to hear such improvements at the Trivista's price point. It was also much better than the MF 308 CD player. Not sure why anyone would spend the $$$ on the $6500 MF Trivista SACD when for half that much they could get a Sony ES or Marantz SACD and a Trivista DAC.

My MENSA is not cheap by most cheapskate standards either. The DI/O was $100, the MENSA goodies were another $450 (with the goo), the upgraded PS was another $125, and the Bybee Inline digital filter was another $125, totaling $800. Money well spent, methinks, since I have yet to hear a contender to the MENSA for the same bucks and the MENSA trounces DAC's I have heard up to $2000.

But I was so stunned by the Trivista, my cheapskate tendencies evaporated and I plunked down the dough. Two freekin thousand dollars. I must be nuts. At least I'll get my money back if the MENSA reigns supreme, but I think the Trivista will be a significant improvement. If true, it in no way diminishes the MENSA as a terrific bargain (hey, it is 1/3rd the retail of the MF!). But we shall see...

BTW, I did get to hear Sound by Singer's really awesome system (which I think they hold off until you part with some cash). It was the JM Labs Grand Utopia BE, powered by an all Burmester system. I am usually not a fan of the JM stuff I have heard in the past, but I put John Hiatt on the system for a listen, and wow, I guess that is what $300k in gear sounds like, no? It did some pretty neat things in terms of depth, height, and resolving tons of detail. In no way did the math equate (it was like twenty times the price of the system I was demoing the MF gear on, but not twenty times better).

doug s.

• makin' music
MENSA outsmarted?
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2004, 06:50 pm »
Quote from: ABEX
...I recently went to listen to Vandies and they sucked, but the reason was because of the equipment they had them hooked up to...

no, imo - that's *not* the reason!   :wink:

ymmv,

doug s.

davehg

Early warm up impressions
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2004, 04:12 am »
It arrived today. nicely built and quite heavy. It locks onto a signal with no problem, whereas the MENSA required me to cycle through the DI/O's input selector switch nearly every time I loaded a CD into my DVD player. Not a huge issue, but better that I don't have to do it now.

I am not supposed to critically judge the sound until 300 hours of break in, which shouldn't be too long considering the Trivista is best left turned on all the time, so I have a CD playing on repeat. The Trivista is supposed to undergo quite a metamorphisis, which of course was what happened with the MENSA

However, after 4 hours, I already know a few things. It easily equals the MENSA in most all areas. Does it exceed the MENSA? Too early to tell. The key difference so far, however, is that the performers have all grown about 2 feet higher with the Trivista, and now seem their proper height.

Rocket

trivista dac
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2004, 06:02 am »
Hi Dave,

Did you have the opportunity to listen to the dac in your system and compare it to your mensa prior to buying it?

If you don't like think the mf dac (once it is burned in) is worth the $$$ will the hifi dealer take the unit back and return your money to you?

I don't like buying from dealers any longer, i've been bullshitted to once too often.

I do however hope the mf dac works out okay for you.

regards

rocket

davehg

MENSA v Trivista
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2004, 12:16 am »
Hey Rocket,

I did not get the chance to A/B with the MENSA prior to purchase. Well, let's say I could have done it, but it was an impulse buy. I had read about the Trivista a few months back, then read the SPhile review, then found myself in NYC close to Sound by Singer, then found myself listening to it. The A/B comparison with the other DACS at the dealer really convinced me to cut the check, and I suspected it would best the MENSA, just not sure how much. The dealer actually tried to get me into something more expensive (a Bel Canto or the Trivista SACD) but those were WAY too expensive.

I supposed I could return it (the dealer offers 2 weeks return) but with a $400 rebate for trading in a used DAC (I sent in an unmodded DI/O) and no sales tax (had it shipped out of NY to WA), it seemed ok to pay retail. I have always wanted to upgrade my digital to super hi end, but didn't like the $3-5k price range of the gear I might consider. I figured if I didn't like it, I could always unload it quickly for about what I spent.

So far, with about 50 hours of continuous burn in, first impressions of the Trivista are very good. I'll wait until full burn in to spill the beans about how it competes with the MENSA, since the Trivista is supposed to change after 300 hours. Let's just say for now that the MENSA might end up being outsmarted, but not embarrassed. One interesting point: I use the Bybee inline digital filter, which works great with the MENSA. On the Trivista, it does not work so well, compressing the sound. Hmmmm...wonder what is going on here?

Rocket

mf trivista dac
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2004, 01:05 am »
hi dave,

thankx for the reply.

well it sounds like you got a good deal on the dac.

btw was the bel canto the dac 2 or their new cdp?

in perth the cdp sells for $11 000au.  my local dealer snickers at my perpetual technoligies combo but i paid all up about $2000au which i could Just pony up for.

anyway hope the purchase works out well for you.

regards

rocket