A cold weather SuperBowl stated for 2014 @ the Meadowlands Stadium of New Jersey

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
As stated here by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the success of the 2014 NFL SuperBowl @ the new Meadowlands Stadium will determine whether or not more SuperBowls will be played in nondome, cold weather stadiums. Last tuesday, the 2014 SuperBowl game was awarded to the newly built Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, the new home of both the NY Jets and the NY Giants.  :thumb: 

I can't remember the last time a SuperBowl was played in the Northeast,, or in cold weather for that matter. Can anyone remember when the winter elements played a part in a SuperBowl?  :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
The Ice Bowl, but that wasn't a Super Bowl.  We remember games like The Ice Bowl, Immaculate Reception, and some historical rallies, but aside from Super Bowl III (sniff!) he hardly remember the rest of them.

I like having it in the north.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
I agree, the elements should as much the part of the SuperBowl as it is all season of the NFL. Why should the south be the only beneficiary of the revenue that's generated from the SuperBowl weekend?

Cheers,
Robin

flintstone

As far as I know Michigan and Minnesota are the two cold weather states...but they played the games under a dome.

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
As stated here by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the success of the 2014 NFL SuperBowl @ the new Meadowlands Stadium will determine whether or not more SuperBowls will be played in nondome, cold weather stadiums. Last tuesday, the 2014 SuperBowl game was awarded to the newly built Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, the new home of both the NY Jets and the NY Giants.  :thumb: 

I can't remember the last time a SuperBowl was played in the Northeast,, or in cold weather for that matter. Can anyone remember when the winter elements played a part in a SuperBowl?  :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

There has never been a Super Bowl played outside in cold weather location.

George

jermmd

I heard the new stadium is just as windy as the old stadium. Which means that it is going to be absolutely freezing for the Superbowl. Unbearable IMO. I'd much rather watch it in the comfort of my home theater, in HD, with my buddies and some great chili.

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I heard the new stadium is just as windy as the old stadium. Which means that it is going to be absolutely freezing for the Superbowl. Unbearable IMO. I'd much rather watch it in the comfort of my home theater, in HD, with my buddies and some great chili.

Joe,

If the Giants are playing, I would brave the elements - otherwise, I am with you about watching from home.

Not sure about the wind being the same...  One of my good friends from work has had season tickets for the Giants since the 1960's and he kept his seats for the new stadium.  He had 50 yard line, 6th row on the visitor's side in the old stadium and has almost the same seats in the new stadium.  Hopefully, I will get an invite for one of the early home games.   :eyebrows:

I wanted to see the last super bowl the G-men were in, but I had to travel on business.  I actually watched that Super Bowl from a pub in Sydney.  Believe it or not, I sat next to a woman who was also traveling on business and went to a high school two towns away from where I went! 

George

Speedskater

• Kevin
The half-time show might be interesting!