What LPs have you listened to recently?

orthobiz

« Reply #80 on: 10 Oct 2004, 09:51 pm »
First about John Mayer

My 20 something nephew recommended it in front of his girlfriend. Normally he is a much more heavy-oriented guy with musical tastes similar to his uncle. When I bought that first CD and played it I realized I was pimped by a kid trying to win over his girlfriend! I have since razzed him about it and we got a good laugh out of it. Just not my type of music.

biz

orthobiz

« Reply #81 on: 10 Oct 2004, 09:54 pm »
Second,
Tonto, you're on the money about Michelle Shocked. Short, Sharp, Shocked is one of the best CD's of all time, a wonder to all my friends who hear it. It's a total no-brainer.

But, I don't have the LP. I have the original CD and there's a remastered CD with extra cuts that I highly recommend.

According to Michael Fremer types, the actual pressing, British, American,  first release, etc. etc. seems to matter so much when it comes to sound quality. Is there a specific LP version I could look for (just in case I see it)?

biz

orthobiz

« Reply #82 on: 10 Oct 2004, 09:57 pm »
Third,
Tonto, this is your day!
I don't have the Relax LP but I was recently alphabetizing my records (for my new musicdirect awesome rack) and came across
Dead or Alive You Spin Me Round (Murder Mix) and was marvelling at the bass, even on my vintage Dahlquists, no less.

Some of the extended mixes of the 80's are stupendous:
Our House by Madness
Run Me Down by the Higsons
Sign of the Times by the Belle Stars
Skin Deep by the Stranglers
all come to mind...

And I don't think they're available on CD.

biz

ohenry

« Reply #83 on: 10 Oct 2004, 10:04 pm »
I always get a kick out of my Zappa collection.  Most of his albums are well recorded and I find the music to be very interesting, even after all these years.  Lately, I'm playing Zoot Allures and Live at the Roxy.

A side note, check out Project Object if you get the chance.  Ex-Zappa band members Napolean Murphy Brock, Ike Willis and Don Preston cover the Zappa cataloge extremely well.   :notworthy:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #84 on: 10 Oct 2004, 11:11 pm »
Quote from: orthobiz
Second,
Tonto, you're on the money about Michelle Shocked. Short, Sharp, Shocked is one of the best CD's of all time, a wonder to all my friends who hear it. It's a total no-brainer.

But, I don't have the LP. I have the original CD and there's a remastered CD with extra cuts that I highly recommend.

According to Michael Fremer types, the actual pressing, British, American,  first release, etc. etc. seems to matter so much when it comes to sound quality. Is there a specific LP version I could look for (just in case I see it)?
biz

To be honest, I'm not sure WHAT pressing I have: it was a fairly recent eBay acquisition, still sealed in the shrinkwrap. That kinda makes you think it might be a more recent pressing, but who knows?? I'm perfectly happy with the LP I have in terms of sonics: I'll check to see if I can find pressing details.
BTW, the 12" "Relax" is 45RPM---don't know if that has something to do with the sonics or not?

orthobiz

« Reply #85 on: 11 Oct 2004, 12:10 am »
Tonto,
I do hear that sometimes the 45's are superior in sound but 33 or 45, the 12 inch singles have lots of room to stretch out those grooves! That alone should help theoretically.

I haven't paid much attention overall, but I do have a 12 inch Bangles "sampler" which has a copy of Hero Takes A Fall on both sides (guess it makes it easy for the DJ) and it seems that this 33 RPM takes up only about an inch and a half of the outer circumference of the record, leaving a huge leader spiralling to the label.

I just looked at it and in that area where the numbers are engraved are the words "SEA HAUNT." Wonder what that could mean concerning the Bangles...

biz

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #86 on: 11 Oct 2004, 11:56 am »
biz,
I think you're right about the 45RPM 12" having alotta space for those bass grooves.  Many of the Classic reissues split a normal LP like Cowboy Junkies or Mingus "Ah Um" into four 45RPM discs (pressed on just one side of the disc).

As to the engraving in an LP's leadout, I've found the messages to sometimes be related to album content and sometimes totally unrelated.
"The Tubes" had  "a baby's arm holding an apple" on one side, something about a Winnebago on the other (both from lyrics); another LP had "This is the 37th time I've lied to the Nation" (a Nixon reference I think that was nowhere on the LP itself).

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #87 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:27 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
biz,
I think you're right about the 45RPM 12" having alotta space for those bass grooves.  Many of the Classic reissues split a normal LP like Cowboy Junkies or Mingus "Ah Um" into four 45RPM discs (pressed on just one side of the disc).

Tonto,
didn't you tell me you have  the Grooveland pressing of Holly Cole's "Romantically Helpless"?? That double LP actually has the complete album on one disc (33 1/3) and four selected tracks on another disc at 45 RPM (two tracks per side). So, a guy could really compare the same track at the different speeds.  The 33 disc sounds great IMO, but the 45 RPM is just stunning.

orthobiz

« Reply #88 on: 14 Oct 2004, 01:29 am »
New Procol Harum (actually it's old) first album has Whiter Shade of Pale at multiple speeds, haven't checked for sonic differences. The discs are so gorgeous I almost don't want to play them. CD's, who cares what happens to them...

Elvis Costello: one of the LP engravings says "Elvis is King." Other side says "Elvis is King on this side too.

I wonder who has the time to write the engravings, maybe a machine does it?

biz

mccormw

« Reply #89 on: 14 Oct 2004, 12:04 pm »
Quote from: orthobiz
Tonto,
I do hear that sometimes the 45's are superior in sound but 33 or 45, the 12 inch singles have lots of room to stretch out those grooves! That alone should help theoretically.

I think we need a recording engineer on this one.  45s have to to obey the RIAA equalisation scheme so if we had more bass (in amplitude terms) everything would have to be louder.  I think, though, that what you mean is that bass is lower on these recordings and obviously IMO we could have bigger grooves (lower bass) on 45s.  I only have a few 12" 45 rpm discs because I have only had a TT that can also play 45s as well as 33s and the few I have do sound good.  I would like to be able to compare the same track on both though.

If there is a recording engineer out there please put your lot in.

thepogue

Donna Summer (Bad Girls)
« Reply #90 on: 1 Dec 2004, 12:45 am »
Dion Warwick

Rush Moving Pictures

Arrowsmith Get your Wings

Donnie Iris

tons and tons more!!

Peace, Pogue

cdenyer

« Reply #91 on: 24 Dec 2004, 12:28 pm »
Just purchased an 200 gram version of Led Zeppelin II. Great stuff, have also been listening to Neville Brothers "yellow moon" and Bob Dylans "Oh Mercy.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #92 on: 24 Dec 2004, 08:54 pm »
Quote from: cdenyer
.... have also been listening to Neville Brothers "yellow moon" and Bob Dylans "Oh Mercy.

Was there a reason for listening to those two particular LP's??? (i.e. both are produced by Daniel Lanois).

PeteG

« Reply #93 on: 24 Dec 2004, 11:31 pm »
Got a little time off for the holidays, so I'm spinning vinyl.

Eric Clapton/ CrossRoads
String Band w/ Isao Suzuki
Beatles/ Naked

Pete

PeteG

« Reply #94 on: 29 Dec 2004, 01:54 am »
Still spin'n.

Wilco / YHF
Killers / Hot Fuss
Jaco Pastorius

Pete

cdenyer

« Reply #95 on: 31 Dec 2004, 09:28 pm »
.... have also been listening to Neville Brothers "yellow moon" and Bob Dylans "Oh Mercy.

Was there a reason for listening to those two particular LP's??? (i.e. both are produced by Daniel Lanois).

No, just a coincidence. I do like his work though (Lanois) and another great album he produced was Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris.

Oh Mercy would have to be one of the best recorded LP's I own, sounds superb.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #96 on: 31 Dec 2004, 09:59 pm »

.... I do like his work though (Lanois) and another great album he produced was Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris.

Don't tell me you have "Wrecking Ball" on vinyl !!?
I know it was released on LP, but I didn't buy it; now, it sells on eBay, very infrequently, for $45 or so.

cdenyer

« Reply #97 on: 31 Dec 2004, 11:14 pm »

.... I do like his work though (Lanois) and another great album he produced was Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris.

Don't tell me you have "Wrecking Ball" on vinyl !!?
I know it was released on LP, but I didn't buy it; now, it sells on eBay, very infrequently, for $45 or so.

I wish.

I have it on CD, but now that I know it's on vinyl I will keep an eye out for it. :)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Chico Freeman
« Reply #98 on: 4 Feb 2005, 04:23 pm »
Just listened to an ATI test pressing (1994) of Spirit Sensitive originally released in 1979.  Incredible!  The juxtaposition of tenor sax and contrabass is awesome.  I got this from acoustic sounds on clearance for $10.00  Great bargain!

On a side note, I had this album for months without discovering it's true worth until now.  With my room and phono pre, the contrabass was so boomy I couldn't listen to it.  I just started putting some bass trap and changed phono stage from EAR 834P to Art Audio Vinyl One.  What a difference -- clear and extended sax with tightly plucked strings on the bass.  Serious goose bump material.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #99 on: 8 Mar 2005, 05:39 am »
1938 recording of La Bohem from La Scala on Seraphim (Angel) lable.  Gigli has the clearest enunciation of words of any tenor I have ever heard.  If you read the libretto with him you can learn how to pronounce Italian.  Effortless and suave tenor voice comes through even in this old recording.  Licia Albanese, however, does not come through as good.  She sounds a little thin and trilly.  I have heard better recordings of her later in her career.  Still, this recording conveys a good rapport among the cast with magical moments by Gigli.  It's not a reference recording but a good historical one that showcases Gigli's voice and clear articulation.  I wish all modern opera singers could pronounce as clearly as he did.