Looking for a long-trip vehicle. Suggestions?

Zuman

Looking for a long-trip vehicle. Suggestions?
« on: 6 Jan 2024, 05:28 pm »
Problem:
-I'm looking for a comfortable, safe, roomy, stress-free vehicle for trips from Indiana to Pennsylvania that my wife and I take eight-to-ten times each year. It's just over 700 miles each way, and we do it straight through in one day, with stops for restrooms, fuel, and food. It wouldn't be our at-home, around-town vehicle.
Considerations:
-I'm a life-long car guy. I've owned Lotus, BMW, Porsche, and a range of other driver-focused vehicles. I currently have a 2006 Aston Martin DB9 and a Mazda CX-9 SUV.
-We often haul our dog and her crate, along with bags for a week or so. At least three times a year we also take our two adult daughters and their stuff, too.
-I'm 71 now. I haven't had an accident in 40 years, but there's no way I'm as "good" as I used to be. So I want a good technology package to help keep me out of trouble and help bail me out if I make a mistake.
-While most of my fun cars haven't always been the most comfortable, I want a car for these trips that won't stress my mind or my body. That means controlled but compliant suspension, good-to-excellent noise insulation, good seats, etc. This is very important.
-I'd prefer a vehicle with very good reliability and as-good-as-possible fuel economy. I also think that AWD is probably important as we travel through a wide range of weather and road conditions.
-I'd also prefer a vehicle that feels "planted." You serious drivers know what I mean: a vehicle that doesn't float around, that feels connected and responsive.
I know, this feels like it's one of those situations where I can have some of what I want, but those strengths bring other opposing weaknesses with them.
I think the solution is likely an SUV or (horrors!) a high-end minivan. I am definitely willing to buy a pre-owned vehicle if it allows me to move into the solution I want within my budget, as long as it has the safety systems that have become prevalent over the past four or so years (adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, etc.).
My budget is $50-$75k.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

WGH

Re: Looking for a long-trip vehicle. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2024, 06:07 pm »
I took a 2500 mile road trip this summer in a 2023 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition. It is a very nice road and city car, I have had it for 6 months and have zero complaints. The 10-way (now 12-way) power drivers seat is like sitting in the best La-Z-Boy watching the world go by at 84 mph. The Outback also got a solid 29 mpg on the trip. If I took a lot of long road trips with a passenger then I would have ordered the 8-way power passenger seat to keep everybody happy. I never sat in the rear seats but they do get an air conditioning vent in the center console. The standard engine, not the turbo, is plenty powerful for me, no regrets with better fuel economy. The the only way to tell if you need the turbo is to load it with passengers for a test drive up a hill.

I like the 11.6" screen, it has big buttons for us old guys. USB charging ports with bluetooth so the phone and On-Screen Google Maps can be used while charging. The 2024 Outback Onyx has a Harman Kardon audio system with 8-Channel 576 watt class-D amp powering 12-speakers including a dedicated center channel speaker and subwoofer.

My brother has a 3 year old RAV4, when we take the 100 mile trip to Phoenix I'm relieved to get out of it, the ride is meh compared to the Outback.

The only downside is the Outback won't hold a dog in a crate and all the stuff 4 adults need unless you get a Thule Cargo Carrier. The Outback roof racks click crosswise without any tools to mount the carrier. Clip them back when the carrier is off the car.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2024, 06:11 pm »
I would take a look at the new Mazda CX-90. 

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2024, 06:14 pm »
We fit a similar profile and I've always been a car guy too. We started riding recumbent trikes during Covid, enjoyed it, and decided to find something to haul them in. They are very pricey, so you want to ensure they aren't easily stolen, but they're also hard to drag into a hotel room. Leaving them on a bike rack is out of the question.

I currently have a BMW 540i and we had a Lexus RX450 Hybrid which just could not fit the trikes. Sooooo, we traded the Lexus for a Honda Odyssey Elite, never considered a minivan in my whole life. After a couple years, we absolutely love it. It's decent to drive, good mileage, reliable, and is our go to vehicle for just about everything. Our 80# lab thinks so too. I'm a big guy, so seats are what we look at first in cars. If they don't cut it the rest of the car doesn't matter. I'm always comfortable in these, even trips to Texas and back to Florida.

hanguy

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2024, 07:15 pm »
We currently have 3 vehicles and had taken all of them through over 1K miles road trips.

Honda Clarity plugin hybrid: This wouldn't fit your profile since it's too small to fit your requirements but it is a comfortable for 2 people fuel efficient road trip car.

Toyota Sienna: This vehicle has plenty of room and very comfortable to ride in. However, it is not as planted as other cars and fuel economy is not as good. Honda Odyssey may drive better and has better fuel economy. You may want to get Odyssey a look.

Tesla Model Y: This is now our go to road trip vehicle. The car is wonderful to drive and the technology is very advanced that you can use the self drive mode on the road most of the times. You will have to stop for 30 min every couple hundred miles to charge up but this gives you an opportunity to stretch your legs which is fine for us. With gas price nowadays, the charging price is equivalent to having a car with 40 miles/gallon, very nice benefit. You will have to check if the trunk has enough room for what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Mike

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2024, 07:43 pm »
Zuman,

Seeing your history in cars, I'm not sure a standard import is going to fit the bill.

My first inclination is a Bentley Continental GT. Luxury, comfort, fits four adults, and goes fast...if you want it to. Should be able to handle your dog if its crate isn't too big. One downside, no 4WD.

After that, you're likely looking at a high end SUV like a Porsche Cayenne/Macan or maybe a Maserati Levanti. The Maserati and their turbocharged V6 is pretty responsive. It handles well and doesn't give up too much comfort for road feel. I haven't driven the Porsche so I can't comment on it.

All should fit your budget if you buy used.

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2024, 09:06 pm »
BMW X5, my current 2017 'M Sport' is the best DD I've ever owned, FWIW I'm a year younger than you. IMO though BMW is heading in the wrong direction looks wise, their grills are now as ugly as a Lexus .......

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2024, 10:57 pm »
Have you considered a pickup truck? For long drives they're great due to their big comfy seats, spacious, they sit up high, they're relatively safe, and there are plenty of options within your budget. Add a camper top and you'll have more space than you can use (your dog would love it). 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2024, 12:15 am »
Check Scott Kilmer Chanel for independent opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ScottyKilmermechanic/videos

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2024, 02:01 am »
Add AWD Toyota Sienna and the Audi Q series to the list.

jonbee

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2024, 02:25 am »
Lexus RX hybrid. Checks all your boxes.

djpk

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2024, 02:41 am »
I have a Ford Explorer and I'm very happy with it. I can drive for hours without any fatigue at all. I removed the middle seat section which gives me a lot of interior room and still leaves room for passengers in the back. So, I would recommend the Ford Explorer with the twin turbo V-6.
https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/models/explorer-st/

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2024, 03:05 am »
Some grandmothers 1993 Mercury Marquis with 86K miles.  Engine is strong still, rebuild the suspension, new starter, new compressor, alternator, tires...  And there's plenty to
 pick from in every town. 
$6K all total. 

Denton J

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2024, 02:49 pm »
Throw caution into the wind and get a roadster.  But honestly, I like smaller cars for road trips, I like the ability to get out of the way of other idiots on the road.  4 Runners are nicer road trip vehicles with some space, I haven't driven the new Bronco yet but I want to, lol.  Right now I have an Audi A5 I take on trips, it's fairly comfortable and I don't get driving fatigue like other vehicles of the past.

VinceT

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2024, 04:09 pm »
Some grandmothers 1993 Mercury Marquis with 86K miles.  Engine is strong still, rebuild the suspension, new starter, new compressor, alternator, tires...  And there's plenty to
 pick from in every town. 
$6K all total. 

I am looking for a used car to keep miles of the cars we already have. A 2009-2011 low mile Grand Marquis or Lincoln is on top of the list. Ford' 4.6 v8 is a great engine and that car rides like butter.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2024, 06:58 pm »
I was just looking at a Kia Carnival, something I hadn't noticed before. Sort on an SUV/mini-van I guess. Could easily accommodate 4 passengers and a dog/crate plus luggage for 4 and the dog on a road trip. The higher trim packages look quite comfortable and would be at the lower end of your budget.

CherylJosie

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2024, 07:11 pm »
I've found that Toyota and Honda make reliable vehicles, even in older models. My current car is a 1995 Tercel and even the lowest budget Toyota from long long ago still works.

Randy

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2024, 08:03 pm »
Call that a long trip?  Get an old pick up truck.  It will do you fine.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2024, 08:14 pm »
I would think your CX 9 would be fine for this. Is there a reason you don’t want it for that type of driving?

If it’s older, trade it in for a new one with all the modern features you want.

VinceT

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2024, 09:27 pm »
Call that a long trip?  Get an old pick up truck.  It will do you fine.

50-75K budget

I'd be looking at a gently used F250 Superduty Powerstroke or Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

Those both have 6.7 liters and are half million mile motors. I slightly favor the Aluminum bodied Ford.