Anybody own modern Subaru's?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Anybody own modern Subaru's?
« on: 24 Sep 2023, 05:10 am »
What do you have, and what do you like, dislike, and hate about it?

sebrof

Re: Anybody own modern Subaru's?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2023, 12:11 pm »
I have a 2020 Outback Onyx XT
I like it most for how it does road trips; Smooth quiet and comfortable. I get right at 30 mpg on trips where the speed limit is 70 - 80 mph.
Safety system (cameras, etc.) is standard on all Subaru models so mine is loaded with that, and I like that you can configure the system to do what you want (I.e.: Don’t like it beeping when you drift from the lane, just turn that off, etc.)
Apple CarPlay on a 10” screen = a big map easy to see while driving
The low height allows me to easily put bicycles on top with no step ladder
Lots of space inside
Handles much better than SUVs I have driven (lower COG due to lower height and horizontal engine)
Turbo makes 270 hp but also efficient

Don’t like no wireless Apple CarPlay but new models have that I believe
The built in navigation system is pretty worthless (so I just use Apple CarPlay)

There is a forum SubaruOutback.org that will give you a lot of information and opinions

underdog64

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2023, 12:34 pm »
I have a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek I purchased with about 40k miles on it.It has every option.I got 3K below sticker cause it was in monster hail storm we had here in South Denver and has hail dings.ONLY problem I had with it was earlier this year if you put in park the car did NOT think it was in park.Strangely you could remove the key but the stereo and motor would still be running.I was told it’s a shifter plate problem-bad design.Some owners experience this with much newer models as well.Subaru offered to negotiate down a quoted repair expense of about $700 but I’d have to spend $100 to have them look at it first.So I waited.But here’s the amazing part -all of a sudden the problem STOPPED on its own! (Maybe had something to due with cold temps).The problem Last occured in March-which can be cold here in Denver.

seikosha

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2023, 02:18 pm »
Just bought a new car and spent a lot of time looking at both the Crosstrek and Outback.  Both were nice and I really wanted to get a Subaru, but what scared me away in the end was that both models are controlled by a Giant Screen set lower in the dash.  It seemed like almost every function was controlled by that screen.  It was both impressive, but made me nervous.  If that screen goes bad in any way, you basically have no control over the basic functions of your car.  More and more carmakers are going this direction.  Also, the screen was mounted lower than what other car makers do, so your vision is below the windshield when controlling things.

Otherwise, I was impressed with both vehicles.  The Outback had a more luxurious “feel” but I actually preferred the driving experience of the Crosstrek.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2023, 04:43 pm by seikosha »

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2023, 02:33 pm »
What is your expected use for the Subaru (e.g., do you live in the mountains or just need an around-town car that can go on a dirt road for car camping?)

What other cars are you considering?

What specific features are most relevant to your needs?

Some context would help others to help you in your decision.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2023, 04:36 pm »
I wanted to make sure that Subaru's still had that reliability.

I am considering an Impreza (possibly the 5 door Sport). or, even the Crostrek (possibly the Sport model). My mid-life crises wants a WRX, but the old man in me needs some kind of cargo capability.

I don't drive my personal can that much. My old car is a 2013 Ford Escape with only 33k(?) on it. Multiple trips to visit family, and a yearly trip to CAF. This car has to last me a long time. I keep cars for at least 10-12 years or more before I buy a new one.

Mike-48

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2023, 04:59 pm »
I drive a 2012 Forester (bought in 2011). It is extremely reliable. The AWD is a huge benefit in Oregon, and it's my car of choice when traveling over gravel roads (like the last few miles to a trailhead). It sits a nice distance off the ground: high enough to not scrape against the chocks in parking lots or get caught in moderate snow, and low enough so this 70+ year-old can get into it easily. Downsides include a relatively noisy ride, but I think that's due in large part to the AWD. And I just found that replacing the spark plugs is a $750 job! But to be fair, it's a job the car hasn't needed yet.

My wife drives a 2019 Outback. It's more luxurious, lower to the ground, and quieter than my Forester. HOWEVER, the overly bucketed seats (i.e. getting lower towards the back) give me an agonizing backache. I can't sit in either front seat without a special cushion from the back store.

She previously owned a 2012 Impreza. It was very low to the ground, which felt unsafe on today's highways, surrounded by large SUVs and freight trains masquerading as trucks. We also found it noisy and uncomfortable. We were glad to get rid of it.

Characteristics of Subaru for us have been excellent AWD and excellent reliability. Compared to European cars, handling is less precise, seats less comfortable, cabin noisier, amenities less well thought out, and cost of (and need for) repairs WAY, WAY lower. Subaru's technology and UI tend to lag. One example is the indicator light on the inside of the sunroof, which shows whether your HEADLIGHTS are on, something it's hard to miss anyway. Why not show that the SUNROOF is open, which is not always easy to notice and can cause a flood if it rains? The mp3 players have been mediocre at best, and the Outback, which saves up to 3 seat positions, doesn't save side mirror positions with them (as our older, lemon VW did). The power outlets don't work with the ignition OFF. That kind of thing. Despite all that, when it's time to replace my Forester, first on my list is a newer Forester -- for reliability and versatility.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2023, 06:13 pm by Mike-48 »

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2023, 05:29 pm »
I just finished a 2500 mile road trip (30 mpg!) in my new 2023 Outback Onyx. Loved it, what do you want to know? So far the car has zero negatives. I drives like a dream, it's quiet and goes over common road hazards like potholes and rough road like they don't exist but still has a firm ride. Cornering is good but with 8.7" ground clearance it doesn't handle like a sports car. Extremely easy to maneuver with a small turning radius plus the Outback has excellent visibility. The backup camera oncoming car and pedestrian warning alarm has save my butt many times, especially in supermarket parking lots with cars zipping down the lanes.

The 11.6" screen has big buttons, the more you use it the easier it gets. The first couple of weeks is the most dangerous as you get used to a new car and searching for that button at the same time. I miss the physical buttons that can be recognized in the dark but those days are long gone.

I have the standard engine and it has plenty of power. Reviewers that say it is wimpy with no jackrabbit starts have never driven a 1977 Jeep Wagoneer with Quadra-Trac. Mine is still for sale by the way. That said, if you are going to be pulling a trailer get the turbo. Going over Ebbetts Pass at 8730' was no problem.

I think the drivers seat has 8 adjustments, every part of your body is supported, driving for long periods is very comfortable. My brother is 6'3" and likes to stretch out his legs while driving and would like more legroom. If you are tall I have read the Forester has more driver legroom.

I bought the Jeep Wagoneer new in 1977 and has been my daily driver. I got used to the safe feeling of full time 4-wheel drive so of course my next car also had to have full time 4-wheel drive. The Outback doesn't have the low-range gearbox like the Jeep but I don't do extreme 4-wheeling anymore. The internet is full of videos of 4x4's rolling over while climbing.

The loudness of the alarms can be adjusted. I keep them on to gently warn me. I just turned 75 years old and still think I'm driving at 100% but I have to realize that perception and reality are two different things. I like the automatic lane centering when on the freeway. I turn it on when reaching for snacks, water or a different Sirius radio station. The automatic centering is annoying while actively driving so it is usually off, the on-off button is on the steering wheel. The adaptive cruise control is perfect and smarter than I am, love it.

If I have to nit pick the only flaw so far is the gas saver function which turns the engine off at stoplights, it can't be permanently disabled but the off button is easy to touch so no big deal. I live in Tucson and the Outback A/C is as cold as a frog but it does need to be on all the time. If the engine turns off at a stoplight there is an annoying shudder when everything turns back on. And after 4 months and 5000 miles the gas saver function has saved me 1/2 gallon of gas.

The buying experience is still fresh in my mind. If you think you can negotiate a screaming deal - forgetaboutit. You are dealing with professionals who have done this 5 times a day for 20 years, they have heard it all. Expect to spend at least 3 hours or more at the dealer, it is part of their negotiating tactic to wear you down. Nothing you can do about it but relax and enjoy the ride. But I have picked up a few tips to save you a little money if you are interested, it depends on your level of paranoia, there are lots of extended service and security contracts to negotiate.

Once you buy a Subaru the dealer becomes you new best friend, expect to hear from them at least a couple times a week.

This could be you.

bacobits1

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2023, 06:03 pm »
Yes, we just bought a '24 CrossTrak LTD has everything,18" tires, no sunroof nice paint. Very nice fit, and finish. Quiet and smooth ride, 185 HP engine. The HK stereo is quite nice too. Size is perfect for us.
The gas saver feature is just stupid period. It does make a shudder when restarting. we don't use it.
It's on all cars now unfortunately you have to turn it off on startup.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2023, 09:27 pm by bacobits1 »

Mike-48

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2023, 06:06 pm »
Regarding buying: Remar Sutton's classic book Don't Get Taken Every Time still applies, as do its many tips for auto buying. OOP now, but possibly available used or at a public library near you. The only leverage I've ever obtained was to buy on the last day of the month or say to my spouse, "C'mon, honey, this seems too expensive. Let's take another look at that Camry."

As to hearing from the dealer: The only thing I hear from mine is that they want me to buy a service contract, an obviously profitable deal for them. When the dealership changed hands, they even stopped discounting my service charges (as someone who bought the car new from them).

To say the obvious, love may make a Subaru a Subaru (their slogan for awhile), but profit motive is ever-present in commercial transactions.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2023, 06:31 pm »
The buying experience is still fresh in my mind. If you think you can negotiate a screaming deal - forgetaboutit. You are dealing with professionals who have done this 5 times a day for 20 years, they have heard it all. Expect to spend at least 3 hours or more at the dealer, it is part of their negotiating tactic to wear you down. Nothing you can do about it but relax and enjoy the ride. But I have picked up a few tips to save you a little money if you are interested, it depends on your level of paranoia, there are lots of extended service and security contracts to negotiate.

Let me know. I want a good deal. I want to save money.

I already know they are going to make money off me with servicing the damn thing.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2023, 09:08 pm »
We looked at the Outback and liked it but my wife did not want a large screen to control everything.  That was a deal breaker for us. We went with a Mazda CX-5 turbo and love it.  The interior is upscale, the ride is fabulous.  It rides and corners like a european sedan and it is fast.  0-60 in about 6.4 seconds.  Gas mileage is lacking a bit because it is tough to keep your foot off the gas.  The 4 banger gets way better mileage but is not as fun to drive.  Mileage is not an issue for my wife as she only puts on about 4K miles per year.

It does not use a touch screen and the radio and climate control is controlled with knobs and buttons.

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2023, 09:48 pm »
Let me know. I want a good deal. I want to save money.

You will be tempted to shop online at out of town dealerships to get the best price and you will find screaming deals, thousands less than your local dealer. All the extras are hidden and you have to drill down to get the final price which you will discover is exactly the same as your local dealer price. Every car will have different option packages so it will be like comparing apples and oranges. I bought off the lot, it's what they had, it's what I bought. Servicing and warranty maintenance is easier at the dealer you bought the car from.

Buying a new car is a 2-step process:
1.) The salesman will add and remove items from the window sticker, determine the trade-in value of your old car and figure out payments based on down payment.
2.) The finance/contract person is where the real money is made. Extended service and maintenance contracts are added to the price. This is basically insurance. Ask yourself "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Study the window sticker, take a photo a few days before buying the car. The sticker will let you know what is non-negotiable and where you can wheel and deal. Notice the sticker below.
Option Package: 22  $1,845.00
Power Moonroof
Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB)
SUBARU STARLINK 11.6" Multimedia Navagation System

Splash Guards $195.00

These are items the dealer paid for and are non-negotiable, if you don't want them buy another car.

FOR DEALER INSTALLED ACCESSORIES AND SERVICE
Window Tint  $499.00
Door Edges/Cup handles  $99.00

These two items the dealer installed hoping you will pay for them, most people do. Tell the salesman you don't want the items and they will be removed. My dealer said OK with no pressure. The prices are inflated so they will eat it and make the money back on other cars.
You just saved $600.00

A hidden cost that will show up on the contract is:
ETCH/EXPRESS CODE $175
These are little ID stickers that someone puts on all the parts. They cannot be removed and identifies the car. Probably a non-negotiable item.

KARR Security Systems $500
I never heard of this before. More insurance with a twist. Tucson Subaru puts this on all their cars when they arrive. The system is an added car alarm/theft insurance/parking locator (I hope, never tried either)
Don't pay and the security system is disabled by the dealer. Whether or not you opt-in depends on where you live and the dealer does a very hard sell to convince you to keep it. I live 60 miles from the Mexican border.
The KARR alarm part detects the sound of broken glass, the Subaru alarm does not and only activates if a door is opened.
The KARR alarm detects vibration so if someone tries to steal the catalytic converter the vibration will set off the alarm. I haven't tried that either.
The KAAR security package includes 3 year theft reimbursement.

Added Security® Extended Service Agreements
https://www.subaru.com/owners/benefits-of-ownership/added-security-program.html
Passed, I don't know what these cost

Subaru Principal Maintenance Care

Extend the free service maintenance past the 3 Year Free Service you get with a new car.
Very expensive for what you get, another hard sell and a hard pass.

License fee, tire tax, document fee, sales tax
All these show up on the final contract. Sorry, gotta pay the man. About $4,122.00

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2023, 10:02 pm »
I am ordering the car:

Don't need a sun/moon roof.
Don't need floor mats because I am getting every option available via WeatherTech.
Automatic.
Sport model.
Certain color.

Old vehicle is going to parents. They want it.

I don't need any financing

That special alarm might be useful. Getting a full Viper car alarm will cost more when you add on things.

I have a certain local auto shop I trust more that some dealers. Dealer service will also depend on how customer service orientated they are.

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2023, 10:44 pm »
I like the 11.6" big screen because it has big maps. I use Google Maps.  The new Subaru's have Bluetooth that connects to the phone through their app. The car also has 2 different USB plugs so the phone is charging while it is being used.

Google maps has speed trap alerts and just for fun it always wants to redirect depending on traffic or what kind of mood it is in. I was traveling from Santa Cruz, CA to San Francisco and no matter what I did, Google maps would not let me take Highway 1 because it was the slowest route. I finally had to reroute to Wilder Ranch State Park which put me on HWY 1 and then Google maps had no choice but to let me take the scenic route.

bacobits1

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2023, 10:59 pm »
WeatherTech does not make splash guards for Subaru. Not impressed !
All mats came with the Crosstrak, in fact vinyl mats and rug mats, and splash guards side moldings etc.

You can get the EV Forester? I think it was there $52K. Yea right, don't think so. Probably Toyota tech batteries

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2023, 11:46 pm »
Look at Husky floor mats.  I like them better than weather tech which are slippery when wet.

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2023, 12:23 am »
My Outback came with industrial fabric floor mats and a removable washable flexible rubber cargo tray.

djpk

« Reply #18 on: 25 Sep 2023, 12:36 am »
I purchased a new 2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport and it had absolutely the worst suspension of any vehicle I have driven that wasn't worn out. It was under sprung and under damped. I spent $2K not including installation labor for a high end suspension from Flatout Suspension. (Needed additional parts for alignment as well) It handles great now. I hated the Autostop feature so I installed an Auto Stop Eliminator. I also installed an AEM Cold Air Intake, Crawford Performance Air Oil Separator, Nameless Performance axle back exhaust pipe and I had a local muffler shop install a Black Widow Exhaust Widowmaker muffler on the Nameless Performance pipe. With the engine modifications I have better throttle response, more power, and improved fuel milage. I also use what I consider to be the best motor oil. BND Automotive in Ohio custom blends motor oil for my Subaru. Happy with this car now.

Bemopti123

« Reply #19 on: 25 Sep 2023, 02:11 am »
I purchased a new 2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport and it had absolutely the worst suspension of any vehicle I have driven that wasn't worn out. It was under sprung and under damped. I spent $2K not including installation labor for a high end suspension from Flatout Suspension. (Needed additional parts for alignment as well) It handles great now. I hated the Autostop feature so I installed an Auto Stop Eliminator. I also installed an AEM Cold Air Intake, Crawford Performance Air Oil Separator, Nameless Performance axle back exhaust pipe and I had a local muffler shop install a Black Widow Exhaust Widowmaker muffler on the Nameless Performance pipe. With the engine modifications I have better throttle response, more power, and improved fuel milage. I also use what I consider to be the best motor oil. BND Automotive in Ohio custom blends motor oil for my Subaru. Happy with this car now.

The only issues that are a little SUS is the CVT.  Got to keep an eye on that and how about the oil burning issue in some motor models. 

Me proud owner of a Outback 2011, since september of that year.  Needed routine maintenance of consumable things.... keep an eye on batteries as Subs are known battery chewers.  1 every 3-4 years.  In comparison, my 2001 Honda Accord lasted 7 years on its original battery. 

Paul :thumb: