New SUV !! So happy!!

stlrman

New SUV !! So happy!!
« on: 31 Aug 2019, 03:22 pm »
So happy to be rid of my 2010 BMW !!!
Over 10 grand in maintenance in 3 years and needed another 5K to pass inspection .
I got 3 grand on trade in . Which I thought was very fair. It had damage and two accidents on the record.
So here is my 2016 CRV AWD with only 20k miles on it . Paid 20,600
Free oil changes for life !!!! That’s worth 400-800 $$ a year . That’s three grand in five years !! State inspections for life free. Free roadside .
I paid $1500 for bumper to bumper for five years. Maybe a mistake, but I had trauma from BMW. I pay brakes and tires only .
It rides very nice !! Feels pretty heavy over our shitty city streets . The steering wheel feels a bit heavy.
It’s not a real fun car to drive . My Dad’s RAV 4 felt way more sporty.
But that said , I’m enjoying it !! And I was looking for reliable!!!
I didn’t really want white, but I like it now .
Seats are fabric tan , think I’m going to cover them with seat covers as I Uber. And floors are black carpet which shows every spec of dirt . Getting black mats today .
When you turn on right signal a camera activates in you see video from under passenger mirror of what’s behind you to the right.  So you don’t hit a biker in the city.
Neat feature. Also nice for lane changes on Hwy.
Nice and roomy I. Front and back seats. Enormous trunk space .
Stereo connects to my Amazon music easily. Sound is very good.
Seems like a great all around mid size SUV . Maybe that’s why I see 19 GAZILLION of them on the roads here in Pittsburgh.
I’m very happy after the first few weeks !!

Blackmore

Re: New SUV !! So happy!!
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2019, 03:42 pm »
Nice!!!  My neighbor has had CRV forever and she just drives them until 250,000 and then trades.  No problems and she will never drive another brand. 

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2019, 05:05 pm »
Great all around vehicle. German vehicles, while nice tend to be a PIA with regard to maintenance expense. Friends of mine in the biz swear Audi's are the worst. When I retire next year the Honda Ridgeline is high on my list, it's 3.5 NA V6 might be the best on the planet.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2019, 05:15 pm »
"Free oil changes for life !!!! That’s worth 400-800 $$ a year . That’s three grand in five years !"   :o Seriously?  :dunno:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2019, 05:58 pm »
We picked up a 2015 RAV4 XLE last year that came off a lease.  Was looking for a new RAV4, but this was $7000 cheaper with 34,000 miles on it.  Has the same engine/transmission as our 2012 Camry SE (4 cylinder/6 speed) that now has 226,000 miles on it.  Easy to compare the differences.  Camry is smoother, peppier, a bit more luxurious finishes, and gets better mileage (32 vs 28 mpg).  RAV4 has backup camera, automatic climate control, and sun roof.  It replaced a 2009 Subaru Outback with 176,000 miles that was wonderful in the winter but in comparison a maintenance nightmare. 

First 5 oil changes (synthetic oil, every 10,000 miles) are free.  Bought 6 Toyotas from this same dealership, good/affordable service, $24 oil changes (synthetic).  After first year, no problems (as expected with a Toyota). 
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2019, 07:17 pm by JLM »

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2019, 06:05 pm »
I drive a good 20,000 miles a year .  At a change every 3k , that’s about 7 changes a year.
Synthetic oil changes are about $95 a change.
That’s a bit under $700  a year . So that’s about 3,500$ Value in five years .

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2019, 06:10 pm »
If you care about your children's future, you buy a hybrid so you don't emit CO2 while sitting at lights or in traffic.  At least it's a 4-cylinder.  Better than a gas-guzzler.

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2019, 06:35 pm »
Mine is a 4 cylinder. :D :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2019, 06:41 pm »
If you care about your children's future, you buy a hybrid so you don't emit CO2 while sitting at lights or in traffic.  At least it's a 4-cylinder.  Better than a gas-guzzler.

Yeah...let's thread dump on someone's VERY sensible vehicle purchase they're obviously VERY happy with. By your logic, everyone with children who doesn't own and drive a hybrid should feel guilty? Very classy, Mr. Elitist Hybrid Owner. :duh:

twitch54

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2019, 06:46 pm »
I drive a good 20,000 miles a year .  At a change every 3k , that’s about 7 changes a year.
Synthetic oil changes are about $95 a change.
That’s a bit under $700  a year . So that’s about 3,500$ Value in five years .

3k oil changes using synthetic ?? total waste of money !

stlrman

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2019, 07:00 pm »
I’m not positive about the miles in between oil changes .
I was basing that on regular oil.
My car has a sensor to tell me when a change is necessary, based on miles and driving habits .
Maybe it’s every 5K.
So 4 oil changes a year , about $400 a year , so $2,000 value over 5 years

WC

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2019, 07:11 pm »
On my SUV synthetic oil changes are every 10,000 miles.

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2019, 08:22 pm »
I’m not positive about the miles in between oil changes .
I was basing that on regular oil.
My car has a sensor to tell me when a change is necessary, based on miles and driving habits .
Maybe it’s every 5K.
So 4 oil changes a year , about $400 a year , so $2,000 value over 5 years

gotcha, it is dependent on ones driving style. Myself, I've been using synthetic (Amsoil) since '76, 10,000 mile changes, zero issues.

Brettio

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2019, 09:24 pm »
Enjoy the RAV4!  I’ve been driving Toyota’s trouble free for decades and don’t see myself ever changing.

I was recently window shopping and looking at a used Lexus at a BMW dealership.  A salesman came out and during our conversation he commented on my older land cruiser and that I should be driving the BMW X5 I was standing near.  I mentioned that the maintenance costs keep me away.  His response?  ‘I understand, that’s why we all lease them.  The maintenance costs for these cars are way too high off warranty’.  I appreciated his honesty but left without a BMW or Lexus.

Thank you RDavidson, a tactful response to an obnoxious post.

audioengr

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2019, 02:00 am »
Yeah...let's thread dump on someone's VERY sensible vehicle purchase they're obviously VERY happy with. By your logic, everyone with children who doesn't own and drive a hybrid should feel guilty? Very classy, Mr. Elitist Hybrid Owner. :duh:

You got it.  Everyone that is part of the problem and not the solution should feel guilty.  It's your own family that will suffer because of your actions.  It's not about power plants.  At least as much emissions come from vehicles as power plants.  Power plant emissions are falling and vehicle emissions are rising.  Why do you think that is?  It's not someone else's problem.  It's every single one of us that must make the right choices or the planet and the human race will perish.

And I'm not a hybrid owner, I'm an electric owner.  At least I don't expect everyone to buy an electric, yet.

RDavidson

« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2019, 03:32 am »
You got it.  Everyone that is part of the problem and not the solution should feel guilty.

People make choices to suit their needs and budgets. Period. Not everyone is elite enough to have so many options. :duh:

As you have such a problem with people's choices in vehicles (that don't fit your idealist and elitist view of "the solution") go complain to the auto makers. It's their fault for not making the technology faster, more affordable, and thus more widespread in a wider variety of vehicles that people actually want to buy! Do you not believe they have had the time or the means to do so? :duh:

stlrman, you made a GREAT choice! We had a 2nd gen CR-V many years ago. It was a fantastic vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if it is still on the road today.

bkatbamna

« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2019, 04:14 am »
Congratulations on your new SUV.  Hondas are great.  We have an Odyssey now and had one before that went 160,000 plus miles and went 15 years only needing oil changes. 

The best part is that they're powered by this magic potion that God put into the earth and they only require 5 minutes to recharge at the super charging stations that sometimes are 3 to an intersection.

Somehow the Germans have fooled the world into believing their cars are reliable.

Emil

« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2019, 05:46 pm »
This is what i drive

Why?
Because I  love my children more than anyone here loves their children :lol:

syzygy

« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2019, 05:55 pm »
My wife has the same year and color of CRV. Nice car.

audioengr

« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2019, 06:02 pm »
People make choices to suit their needs and budgets. Period. Not everyone is elite enough to have so many options.

Only in the US.  This has nothing to do with being "elitist".  It has to do with making smart choices for the future of the country and the world.  People in Europe realize the threat and they are making the right choices, and their governments are making the right choices.  They are taking to the streets to protest in a big way.  Norway is over 30% electric now thanks to those choices.  China has more electric vehicles than any other country in the world. Many cities in Europe have banned diesels.

As you have such a problem with people's choices in vehicles (that don't fit your idealist and elitist view of "the solution") go complain to the auto makers. It's their fault for not making the technology faster, more affordable, and thus more widespread in a wider variety of vehicles that people actually want to buy! Do you not believe they have had the time or the means to do so?

The auto manufacturers will cater to the public, so if the public wants to destroy the planet, they will do whatever it takes.  They only care about profits and sales.  It takes government intervention to change this.  For instance, legislation that only hybrids will be sold or that once a vehicle is in park, that 30 seconds later it shuts off.  These are intelligent solutions that make a difference.

A good analogy is a house with a small fire festering.  If you are aware of the fire, you don't wait until it gets too large to put out, consuming the entire house.  You don't sit in the house smoking and flicking burning butts on the floor.  Unless of course if you are a complete idiot.