M3 or maybe M4 for me?

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

Re: M3 or maybe M4 for me?
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jun 2019, 08:43 pm »
I watched a review on he Buchardt s400's and they are a very interesting design. I would think they would be worth taking a listen to especially if like smaller speakers in your setup. But for me he M3 Turbo S seem to fit my every need. I do run a custom built sub with them that is crossed over very low just to fill in the lowest bass. But otherwise very happy.

Which is one of the things that kind of troubles me. These go down to 32 and yet people run subs. I really don’t want to have to mess with subs.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #41 on: 1 Jun 2019, 10:29 pm »
I watched a review on he Buchardt s400's and they are a very interesting design. I would think they would be worth taking a listen to especially if like smaller speakers in your setup. But for me he M3 Turbo S seem to fit my every need. I do run a custom built sub with them that is crossed over very low just to fill in the lowest bass. But otherwise very happy.

What kind of amplification are you running? I’m running 110 wpc class AB.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #42 on: 2 Jun 2019, 12:20 am »
Many use subs with their Spatial Audio speakers (I have M3TMs)  because they are driving the speakers with small tube amps.  But I find my pair of GR Research OB subs improve the bass of every speaker I have tried them with.  Mind you, I haven't been using huge megabuck speakers that shake the earth by themselves.  But yesterday with a 70 watt tube amp on the spkrs and the subs engaged, I played Queen's We Will Rock You so loud I may have foundation damage.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #43 on: 2 Jun 2019, 12:29 am »
Many use subs with their Spatial Audio speakers (I have M3TMs)  because they are driving the speakers with small tube amps.  But I find my pair of GR Research OB subs improve the bass of every speaker I have tried them with.  Mind you, I haven't been using huge megabuck speakers that shake the earth by themselves.  But yesterday with a 70 watt tube amp on the spkrs and the subs engaged, I played Queen's We Will Rock You so loud I may have foundation damage.
Good point. I’ll be running a tube preamp into a solid state power amp. To be completely honest, I’m ignorant as to how bass works in an OB implementation.

At the end of the day, I want a speaker that can handle my musical tastes.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #44 on: 2 Jun 2019, 02:35 am »
Hard for me to think of a type of music that doesn't sound good on my Spatial spkrs. 

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #45 on: 3 Jun 2019, 08:12 pm »
Hard for me to think of a type of music that doesn't sound good on my Spatial spkrs.

Thanks. That’s great to know.

mick wolfe

« Reply #46 on: 3 Jun 2019, 09:56 pm »

I agree. My Spatial M2 Turbo's were the first speaker I'd had in years that opened the door to all genre's. (at generous loudness levels as well if you choose) I'm afraid a lot of today's "audiophile approved" speakers can't say the same.

harley.guy07

« Reply #47 on: 7 Jun 2019, 05:32 am »
I do run subs with mine only to fill in the lowest notes. The Spatials take care of the overall tone and punch of the bass and give the music the drive but my custom built sub just helps fill in the last octave or so below that, but The sub i run is rather small 8" sealed I built myself and like i said just gives the bass the depth I personally like. depending on your musical tastes you might find a sub unnecessary.

harley.guy07

« Reply #48 on: 7 Jun 2019, 05:37 am »
To add to above I have found that blending a sub with them is a somewhat painless process if you can find a sub that is good enough to match the speed and natural presentation that these speakers can deliver, I would look at a small REL or do a custom sealed sub. Or like some owners they are building open baffle subs to go with them using drivers from companies like Acoustic Elegance which I believe Clayton himself uses in some of his designs. Oh by the way I run a Pass Labs X150.5 power amp with mine so power is not an issue to say the least.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #49 on: 9 Jun 2019, 07:25 pm »
 :(

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #50 on: 9 Jun 2019, 07:26 pm »
To add to above I have found that blending a sub with them is a somewhat painless process if you can find a sub that is good enough to match the speed and natural presentation that these speakers can deliver, I would look at a small REL or do a custom sealed sub. Or like some owners they are building open baffle subs to go with them using drivers from companies like Acoustic Elegance which I believe Clayton himself uses in some of his designs. Oh by the way I run a Pass Labs X150.5 power amp with mine so power is not an issue to say the least.

Thanks. It seems like even the maxed TM version still needs a sub. Problem is that I’d basically smash my budget and it’d be a year before I’d be able to get a decent sub.  Unless I went M4.

Maybe these aren’t the way I want to go after all.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #51 on: 9 Jun 2019, 09:16 pm »
If you are living in an apartment, why are you even worried about being able to produce super low bass at high volumes?  That's pretty dickish to your neighbors because low bass will pass through walls like they aren't even there.

harley.guy07

« Reply #52 on: 9 Jun 2019, 10:55 pm »
Thanks. It seems like even the maxed TM version still needs a sub. Problem is that I’d basically smash my budget and it’d be a year before I’d be able to get a decent sub.  Unless I went M4.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-8-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7090

https://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd300-300w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-no-boost--301-508

These are components I used to build my sub and while they are very affordable if built and dampened correctly they will work wonderful with the spatials

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #53 on: 9 Jun 2019, 11:09 pm »
If you are living in an apartment, why are you even worried about being able to produce super low bass at high volumes?  That's pretty dickish to your neighbors because low bass will pass through walls like they aren't even there.

Never said high levels. I can listen louder right now as my current speakers roll off at 50hz. Obviously a bassier speaker will demand compromises on volume.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #54 on: 9 Jun 2019, 11:10 pm »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #55 on: 9 Jun 2019, 11:55 pm »
If you're in an apartment, you're much better off using a full range OB speaker than you are a subwoofer or a box speaker doing low bass.  OB's tend to radiate base in a side-nulling cancellation pattern that helps keep the bass energy in the room rather than passing through it to your neighbors. 

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #56 on: 10 Jun 2019, 01:31 am »
If you're in an apartment, you're much better off using a full range OB speaker than you are a subwoofer or a box speaker doing low bass.  OB's tend to radiate base in a side-nulling cancellation pattern that helps keep the bass energy in the room rather than passing through it to your neighbors.

Interesting. So like an OB sub? I hadn’t really thought of that.

sumoking

« Reply #57 on: 10 Jun 2019, 01:57 am »
the timbre of the bass is much more accurate and tuneful... Don't let that discourage you.  It's a complete speaker top to bottom.
A friend of mine refuses to use a sub since the bass is so satisfying.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #58 on: 10 Jun 2019, 03:12 am »
the timbre of the bass is much more accurate and tuneful... Don't let that discourage you.  It's a complete speaker top to bottom.

I have a shot to hear a model or two (Spatial) this month so I’ll hope for the best.

harley.guy07

« Reply #59 on: 10 Jun 2019, 05:14 am »

I do know what he is talking about as I do tend to turn my sub off on certain material because of the natural tonality of the bass notes. Mostly on jazz and music that uses a stand up double bass or instruments that seem to be recorded via microphone rather than through a DI or there own amplifier and the Spatial's will do a very good job of letting the natural tones of the instrument shine. When i use my sub it is mostly on newer recordings or recordings that use electric bass or synthesized bass tones