Hello From Precision Audio Labs

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
Hello From Precision Audio Labs
« on: 21 Jun 2021, 01:39 am »
Hi Everyone, 
My name is Jeff and I own Precision Audio Labs in the Saint Louis, Missouri area.  I have worked as a bench technician in high-end audio service centers since 1976 after graduating from University and earned a position as Chief Engineer and audio technician for Antech Labs  in Saint Louis for 11 years.  During my time at Antech, we serviced Broadcast, Professional, and Consumer electronic audio gear for St. Louis radio and TV stations, as well as a few local recording studios across the St. Louis Metro area.  I typically like to hang out with a few of my audio engineer buddies over the years, and am still sad about the loss of KSHE's Chief Engineer, Sam Caputa.  We lost Sam sometime back at an early age and he has left a large empty space for those of us who were blessed to know Sam.   

I have participated in sixteen McIntosh amplifier clinics along-side Davey O'Brien, and have worked as a field engineer for Yamaha Corporation of America since 1985.  I have participated in over 27 national service seminars from present back to 1983.  Precision Audio Labs is also the designated factory-authorized service center for Perreaux Audio Industries in New Zealand for the United States and Canada.  Now retired, I spend my days working in my service center that is filled with more than $80K of upgraded and calibrated test equipment. 

Most of the units that we service are top-shelf, high-end, i.e., Audio Research, Bryston, Conrad Johnson, McIntosh, Perreaux, Sonic Frontiers, etc.  We offer full restorations on most all audio gear back to the 1950's, tubes, transistors, and hybrid models.  We offer coupling capacitor upgrades such as Mundorf, Solen, and Hovland for coupling capacitors, and audio-grade "Fine Gold" capacitors for all polarized electrolytic capacitors.  We also offer Mundorf Power Electrolytics for the Serious Enthusiast!  Depending on the degree-of-difficulty, some units remain here for a month or two if needed.  We recently did a full restoration on a Harman Kardon Citation V tube amplifier from the power cord to the speaker-output posts.  At the customer's request, I also light-up the preamp tubes since McIntosh offered that feature in their newer MC275 tube amplifiers. 

I have heard so many awesome things about Audio Circle and have directed many of my customers to join.  I thought it was time for me to wade out into the water and see what you guys are talking about!  I'm also happy to help any audio techs out there with tech advice if they get stuck on a repair. 

Warmest Regards,
Jeff

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Hello From Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2021, 01:08 pm »
Sounds like such a cool career you had. Welcome!

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2021, 01:36 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Jeff.  Good to hear from you again.

Mark

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2021, 02:19 pm »
Welcome!

drmike

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2021, 07:58 pm »
can you help a SA-8100 pioneer integrated amp?
thanks,
drmike

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
SA-8100 integrated amplifier
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2021, 01:57 am »
can you help a SA-8100 pioneer integrated amp?
thanks,
drmike
Hi drmike,  what symptoms are you experiencing with your 8100?  Other than dirty switches, bad speaker output relays, and a few power supply caps and replacement transistors, this model has an excellent and reliable service background.  It is difficult to beat that Era of Pioneer for certain!  I just flipped a SPEC-1 preamplifier and SPEC-4 amplifier that one of my customers found on the side of the road! 
I'm new to this forum and am not sure if this is the correct way to reply, so let's see how this goes :-)
Warmest regards, Jeff

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2021, 01:58 am »

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2021, 02:06 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Jeff.  Good to hear from you again.

Mark

« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2021, 12:48 am by LKTRNX »

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2021, 02:07 am »

Thank You!

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2021, 12:19 pm »
Welcome! Awesome experience you have! Enjoy!

Best,
Pete

Chewbacca

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2021, 12:47 pm »
Welcome to AC Jeff!

Awesome story and career you've had! Quite jealous! :thumb:

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2021, 03:50 pm »
Welcome Jeff,
Your expertise will be valued here!  I've risked a few amp recaps but that's as far as it goes with me. 
Speaking as a former St. Louis resident, now residing in Savannah, GA... welcome to the AC! 

Jazz

Norman Tracy

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2021, 08:35 pm »
Welcome to AC Jeff. Precision Audio Labs looks to be a fantastic resource for AudioCircle members.

drmike

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2021, 02:51 pm »
hey jeff,
the sa-8100 has not been used in about 10 years. turns on , protection light works. probably needs a good cleaning and service. i bought this in 1972, i'm a little hesitant to use it, don't want to damage it. would i need to make a call before sending it to your shop?
thanks,
drmike

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2021, 12:49 am »
Welcome to AC Jeff!

Awesome story and career you've had! Quite jealous! :thumb:
Thank You, Chewbacca!

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2021, 12:50 am »
Thank You, Tyson!

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2021, 12:51 am »
Welcome! Awesome experience you have! Enjoy!

Best,
Pete
Thank You, Pete!

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2021, 12:55 am »
hey jeff,
the sa-8100 has not been used in about 10 years. turns on , protection light works. probably needs a good cleaning and service. i bought this in 1972, i'm a little hesitant to use it, don't want to damage it. would i need to make a call before sending it to your shop?
thanks,
drmike
Hi Drmike,  Chances are your 8100 needs a good cleaning and further analysis.  I'm right there with you....For older gear that hasn't been brought up in a while, I bring those puppies up slow on a variac.  No need to upset any of those older lytics in the power supply!  I'm located in the West part of the St. Louis Metro area.  If you are going to ship her to me, please message me at Jeffrey.jackson@precisionaudiolabs.com and I will set you up with a return authorization number.  The 8100 is heavy, and if you have the factory packing, that's a big plus, however if you don't, I recommend using the pink Rigid Foam (2") that can be obtained in 4x8 sheets.  I'll look for your email!  Have a great day, Sir.
Jeff

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2021, 12:56 am »
Welcome to AC Jeff. Precision Audio Labs looks to be a fantastic resource for AudioCircle members.
Norman,  Many Thanks for the kind words!  A Pleasure to meet you, sir!
Jeff

LKTRNX

• Industry Participant
    • Precision Audio Labs
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2021, 12:57 am »
Welcome Jeff,
Your expertise will be valued here!  I've risked a few amp recaps but that's as far as it goes with me. 
Speaking as a former St. Louis resident, now residing in Savannah, GA... welcome to the AC! 

Jazz
Hey Jazz,  Thanks much for the kind words!  I hope you are enjoying Savannah....two days ago in STL it was 111 with a heat index....yesterday it was 58 degrees and cool as a cucumber.  Tomorrow, we'll probably have an earthquake or some other type of St. Louis weather...LOL!
Jeff