Just received my NOH

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Just received my NOH
« on: 20 Jun 2004, 02:26 am »
After months of waiting, I just received my NOH preamp.

This one has 3 rca's and 2 xlr inputs and 2 xlr outputs.  It also had +6db switch and remote volume control.

I must say it is quite heavy and very well made.   :thumb:

Unfortunately I won't be able to listen tonight as I spent most of the day at the NY Audio Rave monthly gathering and I want to spend some time with the family for the rest of the night.

I will hook it up tomorrow and let everybody know my initial thoughts.

George

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Just received my NOH
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2004, 02:41 am »
Hello!

Arrived a bit ahead of the eta from expresspost - nice to see! I hope it travelled well and that you get off to a good start with it tomorrow. Please keep me posted on how you make out!

Many Thansk!

John

Mondie

Just received my NOH
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2004, 10:20 am »
l am curious to hear how you got on Zybar.

Have you had a chance for a good listen? What pre amp did you switch from?

Cheers

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Just received my NOH
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2004, 03:11 pm »
George, Your wait is over....good luck with your new preamp ! Hope it works out well in your system ! I believe George's present preamp is an EC 4.7 , his system is here.....  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;system=191 . I'll be looking forward to your comments !! :)

zybar

• Volunteer
Just received my NOH
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2004, 03:14 pm »
I am at work so I can't write much...

The sound was a little grainy and lacking at the extremes out of the box vs. my Electrocompaniet EC 4.7 balanced preamp.

I listened again briefly (only about 1/2 dozen songs) last night and things have changed for the better.  Much more transparent and musical with better performance at the extremes.  It still is a little lacking at the extremes, but I also might have to retune the bass on the 40's.

The unit has music playing into 24x7 in order to expedite the break in process.

John, how long does it take the transformers to fully break in?

George

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Just received my NOH
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2004, 03:41 pm »
Hello!

I don't listen to the full break-in cycle but reports range from 20 to 100 hours or so. I thing denis at chimera labs (where the internal wire is from) speaks of up to a few hundred hours for the wire. If your speaks are like my 40's they'll likely need a tuning tweak to reset things but I would wait until you get settled and used to things a bit. Please keep me posted!

Thansk!

John

zybar

• Volunteer
Just received my NOH
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2004, 03:45 pm »
Thanks John.

I know it will just get better and better so I am not too worried.

Will keep you posted.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
Just received my NOH
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2004, 05:14 pm »
I have continued to play the NOH 24x7 and it has taken a big leap forward from where it was out of the box (I have about 150-160 hours on the unit).

This preamp is by far the most revealing one I have ever owned (including the Placette and a slew of well reviwed actives by Audio Note, Musical Fidelity, Manley, Sonic Frontiers, BAT, AVA).

But not only is it revealing, it is musical and well balanced.  Out of the box it was a little grainy and the extremes were a little lacking.  I am happy to report that at this point it is MORE dynamic than the other preamps.  There is a snap and crispness that wasn't there before.  The leading edge of the notes seems to now jump from the RM 40's!  Highs are extended (while not how I ultimately want them - I think it is b/c of my dac and not the preamp, amp, or speakers) and have a nice bloom and decay.

This well worth the wait and John is great to deal with as everybody has already mentioned.

Thanks again John.   :notworthy:

George

Marbles

Just received my NOH
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2004, 05:30 pm »
After getting my TX102 (same guts as Noh but in a rougher grade case) I knew I didn't need to look for another pre-amp for a long long time and could concentrate on other areas of my system.

I'm glad you like the Noh, your impressions mirror mine.

We now have the same speakers, pre and transport.  They must do something right  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
Just received my NOH
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2004, 05:53 pm »
Rob,

I agree that we own some pretty darn good gear!

Hopefully one day we will each get to hear the other's system.

George

Mondie

Just received my NOH
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2004, 04:08 am »
Thanks for posting George, you sound very satisfied with your NOH.

l have decided l will be buying one based on the strength of all the recommendations l have read here and elsewhere.

Could this be the final pre amp upgrade  :lol: