Focal T120 Rehab

BEYoung

Focal T120 Rehab
« on: 1 Feb 2024, 04:51 am »
Hello

I have a few T120s with inverted kevlar domes used in the VMPS Tower II-SEs (for example).  Surrounds are 'degrading' with age. 
Any recommendations on rehabilitating would be appreciated.

Thank you

BEY

ZAKski288

Re: Focal T120 Rehab
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2024, 01:02 am »
Welcome to Audio Circles, BEY

Here is some info on T120 tweeters

Link:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146056.0

YouTube Link:  https://youtu.be/IEWWjN7pF9o?si=drkIGpvK508m-ZYt
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2024, 04:41 am by ZAKski288 »

GeorgeAb

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2024, 04:13 am »
@ZAKski288, your link to the T120 info is not showing.

Seeing your reply reminded me of the overdue phone call on the Nelson Pass DIY active crossover, pardon.

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2024, 09:16 am »
Hello

I have a few T120s with inverted kevlar domes used in the VMPS Tower II-SEs (for example).  Surrounds are 'degrading' with age. 
Any recommendations on rehabilitating would be appreciated.

Thank you

BEY

The foam surrounds for the TC120 and TC90 available in EBAY.

davidc1

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2024, 05:28 pm »
There are surrounds available on eBay for you to do it yourself. But it's tedious. It takes a while to scrape off the existing foam perfectly, and you have to be extremely careful not to disturb the hair-thin voice coil leads. All the surround kits seem to come from a guy in Finland (or was it Holland?). But this is why I decided to have a local place do it for me. Sperakerrepairpros.com   He's been in business for decades, took it over for his dad and does excellent work. But he's not the quickest at returning calls...I suggest calling and emailing. His hours are limited as he has another job.

BEYoung

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2024, 01:45 am »
davidc1/ZAKski288/Jstower

Many thanks for the links/info and pictorial/tutorials, inspiring me to move forward on the T120 repairs.  Ordered surrounds and kit from AudioFriends (repairyourspeakers.com). 

BEY

captainnadi

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2024, 04:46 am »
I started this daunting repair on my II-SE's just last night, figured to start the cleanup process before the kit arrives from AudioFriends.

The leads to the voice coils on mine were glued into the channel, and it caught on a small piece and broke the lead on both voice coils unfortunately. I have a set of new coils coming from another seller from eBay, so until then I will be patiently awaiting the parts to complete the repair.

Best of luck on yours, and I do recommend letting the glue remover soak on the glue if yours are similar!

davidc1

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2024, 03:38 pm »
I started this daunting repair on my II-SE's just last night, figured to start the cleanup process before the kit arrives from AudioFriends.

The leads to the voice coils on mine were glued into the channel, and it caught on a small piece and broke the lead on both voice coils unfortunately. I have a set of new coils coming from another seller from eBay, so until then I will be patiently awaiting the parts to complete the repair.

Best of luck on yours, and I do recommend letting the glue remover soak on the glue if yours are similar!

Remember, Speaker Repair Pros will repair $70 each. Probably less if you have the kit.

captainnadi

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2024, 10:07 pm »
Yes. It might be best that I send it to him, he is a pro after all!

I rather not risk cracking a dome while removing the old voice coil.

davidc1

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2024, 10:11 pm »
Yes. It might be best that I send it to him, he is a pro after all!

I rather not risk cracking a dome while removing the old voice coil.

The owner's name is Bao.
I would suggest emailing and calling him. He'll rarely ever answer the phone though because he's usually working on speakers and can't stop in the middle. He'll get back in touch with you, but he's not the most prompt guy in the world. But he's extremely detail-oriented and really good at what he does. I had all eight of my t120s in my super Tower threes done by him

captainnadi

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2024, 09:11 pm »
Wow! That's probably what I will end up doing then. Appreciate the advice!