Weird problem involving YouTube

Dave-in-Cambodia

Weird problem involving YouTube
« on: 25 Dec 2022, 01:46 pm »
Sorry for doubling-up posts in this circle like this, and Happy Holidays everyone.

I have a really weird situation -- or else it's not weird at all and would take three seconds to fix if I wasn't an idiot: I watch a lot of YouTube in addition to listening to a lot of music stored on my local hard drive array in a variety of formats. When I watch YouTube, however, the sound is *badly* overmodulated, enough so that it has inclined me more than once to worry that I've damaged my speakers. Even moderate listening levels, set that way at numerous volume adjustment options between the youtube screen and the speakers, cause really nasty breakup distortion and generally shrill and over-heated sound. The problem is particularly bad with choral vocals -- an obvious bummer given where we are on the calendar.

But the performance of the system when listening to local music is just fine. Great, even.

Can anyone help? Is this a known settings issue that I can change somewhere in some deep-drilled sub-menu or something? It happens regardless of whether I'm using my Windows7 laptop or my Windows10 desktop, and regardless of whether I'm using analog audio outputs from the device, or asynchronous USB to the Arcam DAC. So it has to be something about the way the sound is either being level-set or encoded at the YouTube point in the process, I think. I tried Googling this -- thinking surely it must be a pretty obvious and easily worked-around quirk of YouTube -- and got nowhere. Lots of hits but they were all about sound drop-outs and choppy playback.

Any ideas?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Weird problem involving YouTube
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2022, 01:57 pm »
YT sound always was MP3, currently I think it still is because its target audience is the teen phone generation.