845B tube doesn't want to fit in socket.

Gopher

845B tube doesn't want to fit in socket.
« on: 10 Apr 2011, 03:52 pm »
I just bought some 845B tubes on ebay and one of the two has the guider nub aligned slightly off compared to the other one as it pertains to the tube's four pins on the bottom.

I have 5 other 845 tubes on hand and can get all of them into either mono, but this one funny one I can't get in either.

The weird thing?  When it arrived a few days ago, I put it in without issue and its operated fine.  I removed it yesterday to A/B with a pair of Pavanes and can't get it back in...

Any tips from the SET gurus?

wywires

Re: 845B tube doesn't want to fit in socket.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2011, 04:05 pm »
May be that some of the tube sockets are tighter than others. Try inserting the tube in question into a different socket.

Alex

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2011, 04:10 pm »
With 845s the sockets are a little different then other tubes I've worked with.  You kinda put it in place with a guider peg and then twist to lock it in. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-PIN-TUBE-SOCKET-845-211-805-541-/320654216582#ht_718wt_907

I can get any of my 5 other tubes into either mono block, but this one doesn't want to go in either.

BUT...  when I just received it mid week I stuck it in with no problem..   This isn't making sense to me

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2011, 06:51 pm »
Seems the pin is loose or crooked, in this case better change the Alumunium base for a new one.
If two pins made physical conctact can be big damage to the amp.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2011, 07:28 pm »
A Link to a replacement 845 base, just 3 Obamas each.

http://www.goodcomponent.com/845R.html

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

Gopher

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2011, 11:43 pm »
Interesting, I had no idea I could change the base of the actual tube.  Thanks for that info I'll keep it in mind.

In the meantime I got a PM which cured my problem and has it in there and behaving normal again.

I have this same problem on the845B that I bought.
What happen is that the ceramic part that suppose to be glued to the copper base got loose, therefore, when you twisted in the socket to put the tube in or remove it , the ceramic base was displaced relative to the copper base. To fix the problem, you can realigned the pin by holdingthe copper base with one hand, and use the finger of other hand,hold the pin andtwisted clockw or counterclockwise to realign the pin, be sure that the realigned like the good tube. After few try to make surethat it worked like the good tube, use crazy glue and the copper andceramic base.
Hope this help.