« Reply #120 on: 5 Jan 2016, 04:41 pm »
Hi

You can toggle

james

Wow! That is fantastic! Thank you.

Phil A

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #121 on: 5 Jan 2016, 06:14 pm »
any suggestions on how to configure JRiver MC21 with a Mac Mini to work with the BDA 3 so it can play DSD files

Rich - there is a recent thread on the JRiver forum (for Mac) with an iFi DAC.  Not sure if the problem is similar or it will help or not.

patrickm

« Reply #122 on: 6 Jan 2016, 12:58 am »
Picked up a BDA-3 yesterday, having fun listening to it today.  My prior DAC was a BDA-1 + audiophilleo2 combo... functionally almost everything I wanted and fantastic sound.  The BDA-3 has everything I want.  Spent some time last night farting around with JRiver 21, mostly setting and experimenting with DSD options.  Very happy with the purchase and I'll keep the BDA-1 combo for use with my upstairs system.    I'd rate the sound of the BDA-1 as ∞ and the BDA-3 as [∞+1].  I was going to pick up a BDA-2 a while ago but wanted native DSD support, glad I waited.

R. Daneel

« Reply #123 on: 6 Jan 2016, 01:06 pm »
Hi

You can toggle

james

And if I may add to that, toggling between any of the inputs takes less than half a second. It is the most reliable input receiver I have used and ideal for A/B comparisons between different digital transports. I have a BDA-2 however but this should apply to BDA-3 as well.

Slam Dancer

« Reply #124 on: 6 Jan 2016, 09:22 pm »
Awesome product! Now I just hope Bryston will make a remote to go along with it!

audio.bill

« Reply #125 on: 6 Jan 2016, 11:36 pm »
Slam Dancer - They already do! If you look on the BDA-3 product page (http://www.bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDA-3.html) it states that their BR2 remote is available as an option. http://www.bryston.com/products/other/BR2.html

scirica

« Reply #126 on: 7 Jan 2016, 01:44 am »
Picked up a BDA-3 yesterday, having fun listening to it today.  My prior DAC was a BDA-1 + audiophilleo2 combo... functionally almost everything I wanted and fantastic sound.  The BDA-3 has everything I want.  Spent some time last night farting around with JRiver 21, mostly setting and experimenting with DSD options.  Very happy with the purchase and I'll keep the BDA-1 combo for use with my upstairs system.    I'd rate the sound of the BDA-1 as ∞ and the BDA-3 as [∞+1].  I was going to pick up a BDA-2 a while ago but wanted native DSD support, glad I waited.

Patrick: My BDA-3 arrives on Friday. What were you able to accomplish with JRiver 21 and DSD?  Just curious if you pushed native DSD to the BDA-3 and if so what were your settings. Can't wait to play!

patrickm

« Reply #127 on: 7 Jan 2016, 03:36 am »
Patrick: My BDA-3 arrives on Friday. What were you able to accomplish with JRiver 21 and DSD?  Just curious if you pushed native DSD to the BDA-3 and if so what were your settings. Can't wait to play!

My playback options at the moment involve native DSD.  I'm using the Bryston USB Audio Driver [ASIO] + bitstreaming but was tinkering with DSD/DoP too.  The BDA-3 DSDx1 light shines amber when receiving DSD native and JRiver is displaying 1 @ 2822.4 kHz.  I've been comparing DSF files to the straight ISO image as well, it's a nice feature of JRiver.

Slam Dancer

« Reply #128 on: 7 Jan 2016, 01:09 pm »
Slam Dancer - They already do! If you look on the BDA-3 product page (http://www.bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDA-3.html) it states that their BR2 remote is available as an option. http://www.bryston.com/products/other/BR2.html
I know, but what I wish for is a new remote that also controlls the HDMI etc.  8)

scirica

« Reply #129 on: 7 Jan 2016, 02:52 pm »
I know, but what I wish for is a new remote that also controlls the HDMI etc.  8)

Exactly. Given the switching capabilities of the BDA-3 this would really elevate the capabilities beyond just D/A conversion!

EuroDriver

We have had excellent results with HQ Player converting PCM 16/44, 24/96, 24/192 to DSD 128 and DSD 256 feeding over USB to ExaSound E20/E22, Lampi B7, Antelope Zodiac Platinum

Wondering if any BDP-3 owners have tried HQ Player yet ?

scirica

« Reply #131 on: 9 Jan 2016, 01:37 am »
BDA-3 is here but I'm very frustrated. No matter what I do the USB driver will not install successfully. On top of that, I've tried connecting via coax and HDMI and can't get it to lock on a signal.

My BDA-2 installed easily, this is a nightmare so far. And of course it's Friday night so no help (or music) until Monday :(

scirica

« Reply #132 on: 9 Jan 2016, 02:58 am »
Good chance it's the fact that I'm behind on Windows updates. I'll report back soon!

scirica

« Reply #133 on: 9 Jan 2016, 03:44 am »
Windows update fixed the driver issue. All good. Currently playing native DSD via JRiver. Sounds great so far!

scirica

« Reply #134 on: 9 Jan 2016, 05:58 am »
Having fun with the BDA-3. Lots to like about this DAC! I've worked through my driver issues and I have native DSD flowing from both JRiver and Roon.

Only two things left to "fix":

1. When switching sample rates, primarily back and forth between DSD and PCM I get a pretty loud "POP" between songs. I did not experience this with my previous DAC. If you are playing from a playlist this can be quite unsettling. I understand some DACs do a quick mute when switching over. Wonder if this something that can be incorporated in a future release?

2.  Haven't been able to get DSD to play from my Oppo 105D via HDMI. It could be that the Oppo just can't do this and that's fine, but I thought that James or someone else was able to do this. More experimenting to come.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #135 on: 9 Jan 2016, 06:25 am »
Hi Steve

I have some beta software that will stop the pop - email me and I will send.  jamestanner@bryson.com

scirica

« Reply #136 on: 9 Jan 2016, 07:28 am »
Hi Steve

I have some beta software that will stop the pop - email me and I will send.  jamestanner@bryson.com

Wonderful!!

audio.bill

« Reply #137 on: 9 Jan 2016, 01:53 pm »
Exceptional support as always from James, even while he's at CES!

Mag

« Reply #138 on: 9 Jan 2016, 03:46 pm »
Having fun with the BDA-3. Lots to like about this DAC! I've worked through my driver issues and I have native DSD flowing from both JRiver and Roon.

Only two things left to "fix":

1. When switching sample rates, primarily back and forth between DSD and PCM I get a pretty loud "POP" between songs. I did not experience this with my previous DAC. If you are playing from a playlist this can be quite unsettling. I understand some DACs do a quick mute when switching over. Wonder if this something that can be incorporated in a future release?

2.  Haven't been able to get DSD to play from my Oppo 105D via HDMI. It could be that the Oppo just can't do this and that's fine, but I thought that James or someone else was able to do this. More experimenting to come.

The Oppo has two methods of delivery for DSD over HDMI. You might have to switch to the other setting.

Good Luck!  8)

scirica

« Reply #139 on: 9 Jan 2016, 04:47 pm »
The Oppo has two methods of delivery for DSD over HDMI. You might have to switch to the other setting.

Good Luck!  8)

Yep. Very familiar with my Oppo and tried everything I know. Gary will be contacting me with the answer soon!