What have you guys read or heard about THIS JoLida 200w monoblock?

mca

Heard they were a good match with the VR5 Anniversaries at RMAF:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/von-schweikert151jolida-1

jimdgoulding

6K for JoLida electronics driving 30k speakers.  And how in tarnation does JoLida get 200w from those all tube mono amps?  I mean THAT is encouraging. 

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
6K for JoLida electronics driving 30k speakers.  And how in tarnation does JoLida get 200w from those all tube mono amps?  I mean THAT is encouraging.

My NAT Audio Generators put out 170W into 8 ohms using two 811A tubes per channel.  The 211 used by Jolida is probably similar...Of course, the NATs are a little "pricier". 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
OP link no worky!

If they are the Music Envoy mono blocks, I love them.  In member Berndt's average size living room, played Ozzie Osbourne on Audio Kinesis Jazz Modules at live, and I mean LIVE SPL...a high-moment in my audiophile listening experience.  Image and stage effects thick enough to drink.  Lovely!  Among my (possibly sole) all time favorite tube amp.  Wouldn't mind three across the front for my Trinaural system.     

rivieraranch

The Chinese Jolida manufacturer is doing pretty good with their lawsuit against the Jolida people in Maryland. The action was filed in state court and it was recently removed to federal court. That might be a concern.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
What's the lawsuit about?  Link? 

China sues a US company?  Surely a sign that Armageddon approaches!

Doublej

How difficult is it to Google Jolida lawsuit?

http://www.jolida.net/lawsuit.htm

rivieraranch

They are trumpeting their victory on a preliminary injunction that resulted from a motion they filed against the US company.

http://www.jolida.net/fedcourt.htm

rivieraranch

It is called diversity jurisdiction. Federal courts hear auto accident cases and other squabbles all the time where one party resides in a different state. See: 28 USC 1332. If the case is filed in state court, a party can petition for removal to federal court.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
What's the difference between the old Music Envoy and the Fusion?  No more ME listed at the Jolida website.  IIRC my friend had two major implosions with his ME's requiring they be sent to MD Joilda (costly to ship them).   

Re. the lawsuit, best I can tell looks like Jolida/Maryland and Jolida/China had a nice romance for a time.  Hard to exactly define: Were the MD products more alike or more upgraded vs. the products leaving the China factory?  If upgraded, to what extent did the upgrades materially affect quality/performance/real value/perceived value? 

From China Jolida's viewpoint: China Jolida alleges MD Jolida switched to a different supplier against China Jolida's wishes.  One might perceive China Jolida deserves financial recompense for MD Jolida to continue using the franchise name Jolida that was built with the mutual agreement that both China Jolida and MD Jolida would continue to prosper financially, not MD Jolida solely at the expense of China Jolida. 

Lacking a mutual agreement regarding the Jolida name, one might presume Jolida MD could/would/should have started a new franchise name.   

From MD Jolida's viewpoint: MD Jolida, having no legal requirement otherwise, can and will continue to use the Jolida name in the USA, even against China Jolida's wishes. 

To me, it looks like China Jolida's problem is this: the new factory in China making products for MD Jolida only has to make the products without any brand markings.  MD Jolida can slap on all the brand name ID after the products arrive in MD.  This means the (second) Chinese factory breaks no civil Chinese law, in the rare case some such law exists. 

From my conversations with persons closely associated with major Chinese manufacturing, it's the wild west in China and China Jolida has little to no recourse there. 

For MD Jolida there is tons of free publicity announcing the name change if one occurs in the future.  They won't have to spend much money to market the name change.  The only potential downside for MD Jolida is if US courts rule MD Jolida must pay damages to China Jolida (I'd guess no).

The above case, is, IMO, a perfect example of the type of corruption/lack of legal recourse in China that, if it can believed, is even worse than the corruption in the US system.  For some time now China has worked to develop an entire financial system independent of the USD, and comprising a majority of Asian nations including Japan.  Some say this activity portends ruin for the US economy (as if we need help doing that to ourselves).  But the corruption/lack of rule of law described above backs the claims that China has too many financial difficulties to become a serious threat.  Would you want to have spent money building the first China Jolida plant seeing this unfold?   

The potential ethical/moral elements are left to the observer.

« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2012, 05:38 pm by James Romeyn »

Old timer

Wow, what a story.

"The potential ethical/moral elements are left for the observer"

LOL, indeed.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Yes.  If MD Jolida did what China Jolida alleges, and if a civil US court rules it was fully legal within a civil law framework, said actions may not necessarily have been ethical/moral.

I believe the UCC is international in its scope, and this might well support China Jolida in pursuit of financial damages against MD Jolida.  Conversely, maybe US commercial law differentiates, at some point, between US and international commercial codes, and if it does, possibly some ruling may favor MD Jolida.

At any rate, one might reasonably presume it's always better to avoid the court system when possible.  I've not heard reports of any deflationary pressure on legal attorney fees. 

rivieraranch

Here is a link to Judge Quarles's [federal trial judge ruling on motions of the parties] opinion of March 28, 2011. It looks like this Prylli guy was released from the action as a defendant.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=3527724548048285679&q=jolida+lawsuit&hl=en&as_sdt=2,10

This is all pretrial b.s. [venerable legal term]. They haven't had a trial yet. Typically what we see is that after all the discovery (witness depositions and document production) takes place the parties usually settle, unless there is a real sticky issue of fact that each side feels they have a good chance to prevail on.   

jazzcourier

Cattylink.com is still offering the Jolida music envoy pair for 3,232.39.That is over 600.00 in shipping and another 200 plus in fees.Not an endorsement of this product.Still waiting for someone with a pulse to document the purchase chain from payment to doorstep ,to turn on  to burn in, from this China based company.No hearsay,second party blabber or any such thing accepted.This company also offers other equipment that might have been "reverse engineered" based on Jadis designs,which no one has heard on reported on.Just curious how these sound.
Mr. Von Schweikert was effusive about the Music Envoy on his speakers,i don't know if those came from the back room of a travel agent in China,Maryland,or a back room in Tijuana.

mca

Talk with Walter at Underwood Hi-Fi, he is selling the new mono block at a very nice price.

Old timer

Given the news, I'd imagine a dealer sitting on stock would be a very motivated seller. :)

mgalusha

A very close friend of mine bought a pair of the Music Envoy from Jolida China earlier this year, they shipped them air freight and he received them in only a few days. They were so fresh the paint still smelled.

They have been trouble free and he lugged them over here one day, very nice and they sounded very nice in my system. Note we did swap the coupling caps in the amps, so his warranty is void but somehow I don't think he was going to ship then to China for service. :)

Old timer

A very close friend of mine bought a pair of the Music Envoy from Jolida China earlier this year, they shipped them air freight and he received them in only a few days. They were so fresh the paint still smelled.

They have been trouble free and he lugged them over here one day, very nice and they sounded very nice in my system. Note we did swap the coupling caps in the amps, so his warranty is void but somehow I don't think he was going to ship then to China for service. :)

So, let me get this right. Does this mean that Jolida China sold direct when they have a distributor in your area? If so, this keeps getting better.

rivieraranch

Jolida China sells direct. There is no distributor here.