Toka

Re: Requested changes/features for the next gen preamps
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:05 pm »
I picked up the Wadia 170i iPod interface last year, and it's pretty nice.  As far as I know, it is the only device licensed to pick the data stream off the iPod dock connector so that you can use an external DAC such as our new Vision DAC.  All the other dock devices I have seen and used take the analog signal from the dock, and while it will works, the sound is not as good.

Onkyo has a model that is reported to offer bit-perfect output as well:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/31/onkyo-nd-s1-ipod-dock-feaures-digital-audio-composite-video-an/

Listens2tubes

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:50 am »
At $235 the Onkyo could be a worthy opponent to the Wadia.

topher2411

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2010, 03:19 am »
How about a home theater bypass switch?

-Roy

Agreed.  Level matching is a deal-breaker for me.

avahifi

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2010, 03:32 pm »
The reason to actually use the AVA preamp in circuit for HT use is that the line output circuits of most HT units can't drive their way through a wet Kleenex.  The AVA line circuit actually acts a a line buffer for the anemic HT circuits and with any luck at all will provide much better sound to the front main speakers than if the line circuit is completely bypassed.

Our preamp without remote control have stepped precision volume controls so all you have to do is match levels once and then remember the number of clicks and know how to count.

Regards,

Frank

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2010, 03:36 pm »
remember the number of clicks and know how to count.

Regards,

Frank

:rotflmao:

turkey

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:12 pm »
I like the stepped Nobel pots. I've been using preamps with them for about 25 years now.

I have no problem with the neon lamp power indicators. They're simple, reliable, and effective.

I would prefer a silver or champagne front panel, but Frank has offered these in the past and hardly anybody bought them. (I chose a silver faceplate on a PAT-5 chassis from AVA at one point and really liked the way it looked. Frank was even able to dig up silver pushbuttons for me so everything matched.)

I do think that, if I could do it over again, I would choose an EC chassis preamp instead of the SL I have now. The EC provides useful functionality over the SL.

topher2411

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:10 am »
The reason to actually use the AVA preamp in circuit for HT use is that the line output circuits of most HT units can't drive their way through a wet Kleenex.  The AVA line circuit actually acts a a line buffer for the anemic HT circuits and with any luck at all will provide much better sound to the front main speakers than if the line circuit is completely bypassed.

Our preamp without remote control have stepped precision volume controls so all you have to do is match levels once and then remember the number of clicks and know how to count.

Regards,

Frank

I understand how it works, but thanks for the refresher.  While it may be easy to adjust the volume to the correct level, it is an added step.  For those of us who need to share a system with a significant other, each added complication produces an exponential amount of annoyance.  That is why I will continue to prefer a home theater bypass that requires only a single step to switch.

taoggniklat

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:57 pm »
I understand how it works, but thanks for the refresher.  While it may be easy to adjust the volume to the correct level, it is an added step.  For those of us who need to share a system with a significant other, each added complication produces an exponential amount of annoyance.  That is why I will continue to prefer a home theater bypass that requires only a single step to switch.

Agreed.

Perhaps a trim level for the HT bypass inputs to help with the line buffering.

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #28 on: 5 Feb 2010, 02:57 pm »
What I'd like to see is an LFE passthrough that is switched with the second pair of outputs. I'm not exactly sure how the EPL switch works, but it'd be nice if that when the EPL switch was activated, the LFE channel would be routed to the second pair of outputs, instead of the normal signal. This would allow me to use my subwoofer with both 2 channel music and in my HT configuration.

ricmon

« Reply #29 on: 5 Feb 2010, 04:02 pm »
Both of my AVA preamps have phono, and I only own one turntable.

Phono section in my current T7 and will be in which ever one of the new pres I intent on upgrading to.  A phono section is a must have for many of us who own AVA pre's.

Ric

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #30 on: 17 Feb 2010, 10:45 pm »
It would seem that an alternative color or two for the faceplate could be handled on a special order basis, versus having to be stocked.  I'm sure a supplier could handle a custom order job at an equitable price.  It might just delay delivery of a custom order a little longer.  Kind of like how Salk handles custom speaker orders.

From the AVA website:  "Our equipment is custom built to your order in Minnesota by our skilled technicians who still remember what "high fidelity" means."

The Champagne faceplate would be no problem, except that it would double the inventory and increase cost (because of the inventory).

Wayner

gregmav

« Reply #31 on: 17 Feb 2010, 11:24 pm »

Regards,

Frank

So, if I was to order an Insight EC preamp with remote control, then there would be no stepped volume control?

gregmav

« Reply #32 on: 17 Feb 2010, 11:37 pm »
Instead of "Special" for an input, how about "PHONO!!!!" in BIG letters with 4 exclamation points after it.

Paul

But some of us may think that "Special" is THE perfect description of how we feel about our vinyl and phono?   :D :)

turkey

« Reply #33 on: 18 Feb 2010, 02:57 pm »
So, if I was to order an Insight EC preamp with remote control, then there would be no stepped volume control?

Correct. It uses a different pot that is motorized, and it is not stepped.

Wayner

« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2010, 04:52 pm »
It would seem that an alternative color or two for the faceplate could be handled on a special order basis, versus having to be stocked.  I'm sure a supplier could handle a custom order job at an equitable price.  It might just delay delivery of a custom order a little longer.  Kind of like how Salk handles custom speaker orders.

From the AVA website:  "Our equipment is custom built to your order in Minnesota by our skilled technicians who still remember what "high fidelity" means."

How many industrial vendors do you know that would be more than happy to do 1 special faceplate? Yeh, for about $500 and that probably isn't enough.

Wayner  8)

gregmav

« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2010, 05:22 pm »
Correct. It uses a different pot that is motorized, and it is not stepped.

But it can be operated manually without any harm to the control?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: The "it's futile to ask but go ahead anyway" thread
« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2010, 05:24 pm »
I would like to see a brushed aluminum or brushed Stainless Steel face plate as well as new knobs and a nicer lighted on/off switch with maybe a blue light or smaller red light. I think that it would give the look more appeal.  I would be willing to pay a little more for these cosmetic features.

gregmav

« Reply #37 on: 18 Feb 2010, 05:51 pm »
I would like to see a brushed aluminum or brushed Stainless Steel face plate as well as new knobs and a nicer lighted on/off switch with maybe a blue light or smaller red light. I think that it would give the look more appeal.  I would be willing to pay a little more for these cosmetic features.

I like your ideas.  I asked Frank about having knobs like the Mark Levinson gear from the 1970's, and he gave me some info about a website that offers those.  I wonder what Frank would end up charging for offering all these changes?  Might be cost prohibitive, especially if he invests in it and gets no repsonse or orders.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #38 on: 18 Feb 2010, 06:16 pm »
It would also be nice if there was a 20 or 24 bit 96K upgrade to the existing line of DAC's for a reasonable price.  But I'm sure its limited to the circuitry design.

turkey

« Reply #39 on: 18 Feb 2010, 07:12 pm »
But it can be operated manually without any harm to the control?

Yes.

There's a picture of what they're using here:

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/preamplifier/remote.htm

You can figure they wouldn't build these with a shaft to attach a knob if turning the knob damaged it. :)