!

Otis

!
« on: 21 Jun 2006, 11:12 pm »
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2011, 07:44 pm by Otis »

avahifi

Re: FVA/LJ, what's the latest on the new U70 chassis?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2006, 05:25 pm »
The lastest is that yesterday I put together the first prototype board just back from the PC card house and installed it in a prototype chassis.

The board works perfectly, only one minor bugger, I got the polarity marked backwards on two small bias supply capacitors, requires only a fix to the silkscreen printing on the board.

Anyway, the new full ground plain shielded board works perfectly, even better than expected.  The noise level from the amplifier is VERY low, about 2 mV peak to peak broad band, with either open or shorted inputs. The stability on high frequency square waves is excellent too, better transient response and linearity than ever.  There must be something good about the low impedance ground plain and laying it out so that the charge current ground path from the first supply cap is isolated completely from the board ground.

Musically, its a winner, hard to describe, none of the mud or rounding of a typical tube amplifier, and of course no solid state glare or grain either.  It sounds much more powerful than its approximate 30 watt per channel rating, doing a darn good job of driving a set of 85 dB efficient Salk Veracity HT3 speakers.

Next step is to fit a set of Magnequest output transformers that are supposed to ship to us this week, then if all goes well do a go for production.

Price, have not figured that out yet completely.  Likely somewhere between $1500 and $1800 for a factory wired unit.  Kits will have a several month wait as I will have to write and debug a complete new build manual.

You will like it when you hear it.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2006, 01:46 am »
I finished Ultra 70 prototype number two this afternoon.  Changes from prototype number one are:

three quarter inch shallower chassis, improve the looks a lot.

using Triode power transformer instead of a spare Dyna original. The Triode unit is much larger and allowed a power pickup to near 40 watts per channel.

built with a matched pair of Magenquest output transformers, expensive but awesome.  All residual ripple and hf square wave overshoot vanished, these are great transformers and just what we need.

new output jack layout on back panel, allows use of either 4, 8, or 16 ohm taps with double banana plug speaker wire terminations, very trick.

improved access to bias set test points, a few detail layout improvements inside.

Its about ready for prime time.

One observation, it is unfortunately labor intensive to assemble, lots of pieces and hardware to install, so it won't be made in China priced. But it won't be inch thick faceplate audio salon priced either.

Stay tuned.

Anybody know of a good source of high quality but reasonably priced gold plated 8-pin chassis mount (from below the chassis hole) tube sockets?  We are still looking for these, don't really want to go direct to the orient for these.

Frank Van Alstine

rustneversleeps

partial kit
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2006, 06:30 pm »
Would we be able to just purchase a partial kit, such as circuit board, plan and the megnaquest transformers if we have an existing Dyna 70?

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2006, 07:12 pm »
You can purchase the Ultimate 70 rebuild plans and bare PC card for the St-70 chassis right now, the price is $149 plus $9 shipping.  The cost of the Magnequest output transformers is yet to be determined.  Right now, in small quantities, they cost me $150 each.  I don't have a firm price on quantity units yet, but they will be expensive.  You can buy Dynaclone units from Triode Electronics for much less than this now and they will work well.

Frank Van Alstine

rlee8394

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2006, 12:26 am »
Frank,
You mentioned a "Triode power transformer." Would that be the one from Triode Electronics that you mentioned about buying the Dyna clone outputs? They also have a nice pre-punched as well as plain chassis for the Dyna ST-70, Dyna ST-35, and Dyna MK II/III. They also have an ST-70 trannie bundle sale going. Buy a power trannie and two output trannies and they'll throw in the C-354 choke for free, $269. See here:

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/sttrbu.html

The aformentioned chassis goes for about $100. See it at:

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/newitspec.html

Similar specials for ST-35 and  MK II/III available. The trannie special, chassis, and your kit, or plans and boards, with options should give anyone everything they need for those who don't have a donor Dyna ST-70 to work with.

rlee8394

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2006, 12:38 am »
Triode has the sockets for $2-$3 each. Don't know if they are gold plated or not. What is your target price?

rlee8394

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2006, 12:49 am »
Frank,
Check out these sockets.

http://www.angela.com/catalog/tube-sockets/8.pin.html

Big selection, pricing from real cheap at $0.79 ea. to expensive teflon types at $45 ea. You may find something here. Don't know about gold plated again either. Steve does a lot of direct from China buying, maybe he can help you out. IIRC, some years ago he put together a Super Seventy from one of your kits. Think he gave you a nice mention about it.

rustneversleeps

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2006, 05:57 pm »
Speaking as a kit builder, I think the Ultimate 70 should show the root and the trait of the Dyna 70, remanufactured new Dyna chassis are poping up left and right.

The original Dyna 70 layout may not be perfect, but it's a classic.

If I were to build this kit, I want the best, Magnequest Xformer may cost twice as much as the Triode's, but I think it's worth it, instead of upgrading it later.

As far as tube sockets, I think the Asian ceremic ones are the way to go, for $2.25 a piece, why pay $4.95 and up a piece for the NOS Amphenol, those NOS tube socket has asbestos in it anyway. I have a few gold pin US made tube sockets here and they are not cheap. I've build many project with the Asian sockets with no problem.