Crossover install on Magnepan 1.7i

reyii

• A journey of a thousand miles starts with the 1st
    • youtube
« on: 11 Apr 2024, 10:26 pm »
Posting here some photos from beginning to end for those interested in such a project.

Some interesting points:
  • Initially, it sounded bright but called GR-Research and they explained the capacitors need at least 200h of break in, and after that time if I still feel it bright, they will help me bring it down a notch.
  • The original magnepan crossover have a 1.2 ohm resistor in the signal path, GR-R don't. This may explain why the magies sound brighter on the top-end, but I most say there is no sibling just more present. GR-R told I can add it back if I want to, they will help.
  • I need to rise the volume 1 level up to get the same SPL I had before with the original Magnepan crossover.
  • This crossover design really makes very noticeable difference, wider soundstage, more stereo, off axis response got wider and balanced, instrument separation and more detail.

Really great support by GR-R team.

For context, this is my rig:
Power conditioner: Audioquest Niagara 1200
Source: Yamaha CD-S3000
Preamp: Primaluna Evo 400
Power amp: Yamaha M-5000
Speakers: Magnepan 1.7i

« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2024, 08:33 pm by reyii »

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Re: Crossover install on Magnepan 1.7i
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2024, 10:55 pm »

Some interesting points:
    • Initially, it sounded bright but called GR-Research team and the explained the capacitors need at least 200h of break in, and after that time if I still feel it bright, they will help me bring it down a notch.

Cool!  I had a pair of 3.7i.  It would have been something to hear them with Danny's crossover.

I am going thru a second round of crossover break-in on my Wilson Audio Duette (I bought 2 pairs of crossovers).  Both pairs crossovers are same parts as what you're using - Sonicap and same coils.  I can attest that the capacitor break-in thing is real, and it takes time.  My other pair of crossovers had really come into their own... I gave them to another Wilson Duette owner and put a "fresh pair" of crossovers in.  Big difference between them.  The broken-in crossovers became much more layered in the upper mids, but not at the expense of detail.  The sound became more relaxed, but still had sparkle.  Right now, the fresh set isn't happy yet... but they are getting better.

For the level, I can do the same thing for bringing the upper down (if I wanted).  It's a single resistor to raise / lower the level.

Have fun. [/list]

fre11111

• Industry Participant
    « Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2024, 08:31 am »
    Hey Rei,

Goodjob on the upgrade.

Frederick

rollo

• Industry Participant
    • Rollo Audio Consulting -
    « Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2024, 03:45 pm »
       Why not install the crossover outboard ?

charles

fre11111

• Industry Participant
    « Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2024, 04:18 pm »
       Why not install the crossover outboard ?

charles

The new crossover fits the original location so there is no need to locate it outside unless you want to.

Frederick

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
    « Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2024, 06:39 pm »
    Wow this is the first time I've seen someone manage to fit the 1.7 kit inside of the speaker, and a rather clever way to do it too!
    Very cool! :thumb:

emailtim

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2024, 04:53 am »
    Nice clean install !!!

simon wagstaff

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2024, 01:16 am »
    Very nice! I was thinking about upgrading a pair of 1.7i crossovers with Danny's kit but there seemed to be a lack of instructions or information. This really makes it clear. As I understand it Magnepan "supports" these crossover upgrades.

I bought a pair of 2.7X instead. This would have been $8k cheaper.

I do like them though.

banjofan

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2024, 11:44 pm »
    i just finished upgrading maggie 1.7 and also feel its borderline too bright so i am greatly relieved to hear break in will likely fix it and if not gr will help...whew!
    (i went outboard but likely could have fit it inside after all...i decided on outboard because i wanted to access the crossover without having to disassemble the speaker...) went with heavy duty velcro to secure the sock...works well...don't like staples...