Shunyata Hydra 8 power conditioner

rblnr

« on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:31 pm »
Opinions/experiences w/Shunyata power conditioners? Have they benefited your system?  Heard them in a system where they worked well?

Am being offered a Hydra 8 at a great price, but not undecided whether to bite and can't listen to beforehand.

Thanks all.

PhilNYC

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:37 pm »
Is it the old (pre-2002) Hydra 8 or the newer one?  I spent some time with the older one, and it's definitely a nice unit...easily in the same ballpark as the Audience adeptResponse, better at some things, not as good at others.

I don't have any experience with the newer ones, but I know guys who say the older one is better...

rblnr

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:47 pm »
Hey Phil,

It's the new one.  Am debating between it, an Exactpower unit, or doing nothing at all thinking that there'll be no benefit; just a waste of money.

-- Bob

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:08 pm »
Well, as you know, I am a firm believer in (good) power conditioners, dedicated lines, and power cord upgrades...and I'd certainly consider the Hydra-8 (either version) to be a good one.  (I don't have any experience with the Exactpower stuff)...

rblnr

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2006, 06:10 pm »
Good idea, I can probably resell w/no loss.

John Casler

Re: Shunyata Hydra 8 power conditioner
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2006, 06:33 pm »
Quote from: rblnr
Opinions/experiences w/Shunyata power conditioners? Have they benefited your system?  Heard them in a system where they worked well?

Am being offered a Hydra 8 at a great price, but not undecided whether to bite and can't listen to beforehand.

Thanks all.

Your result will depend much on what your power and system is like.

I heard the Hydra 8 in a freind's system and the moment it was plugged in, it changed the sound.  The bass was dramatically improved.

The friend then brought the same unit to my house and my system and the improvement was only slight, at best.

Additionally your looking at apples and oranges.

The Hydra and others like the Sound Application are what I call "magic boxes".  They really have no "direct" affect on the current.  They simply run the current through spaces with special particles, substances or whatever and the treatment to these particles and substnces is said to affect the electricity.

Exact power and APS type boxes are power stabilizers or regenerators, which cause a "stable and continuos" flow of the "exact" power levels you need.

And then you have "balanced" units like the BPT and others that balance the current.

There might even be a fourth type, that is simply a glorified power strip, such as the Richard Gray, and the Brick Wall, that offer surge and spike protection.

All four can be helpful and the degree of their help again depends on the actual condition and variation in your power supply.

And the last thing is to make sure and match "needs" as far as amps.

If the unit you use is not rated high enough, it will restrict current flow and cause problems.

rblnr

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2006, 06:47 pm »
Thanks for the info. John.  In fact, I've been using a BPT w/a Brick Wall for everything but my amps.  Improvement is subtle at best; I recognize the Shunyata and Exact as alternate approaches.

Had a PS regenerator some years ago at a different location that did little as well.  Guess the message is make sure you have a return policy.

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2006, 09:16 pm »
John - Interesting taxonomy. Where do conditioners such as Jon Risch's, UltraOutlet, AudienceAdept or even Corcoms fit within that universe?

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2006, 10:52 pm »
Quote from: Occam
John - Interesting taxonomy. Where do conditioners such as Jon Risch's, UltraOutlet, AudienceAdept or even Corcoms fit within that universe?

I am not familiar with the Risch units, but would guess them "filters" or combos.

Audience Adept would seem to be Filtration and Surge Protection.

Also not familiar with Corcoms, but a quick Google would lead one to beleive it too is EMI/RFI filtration and possibly Surge Protection.

From what I have seen, many use combinations of Surge/Sag protection, and various types of RFI/EMI Filtration.

It would seem the "key types" of Conditioners are:

1) Power Stabilizer Regenerators
2) Balanced Transformers
3) Filtration Systems (RFI/EMI)
4) Surge/Sag Protection
5) Magic Beans - or Metallurgy

And as I have seen most use some combinations of these, but I certainly yeild to your technical expertise, which I don't claim.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2006, 06:13 pm »
Quote from: rblnr
Thanks for the info. John.  In fact, I've been using a BPT w/a Brick Wall for everything but my amps.  Improvement is subtle at best; I recognize the Shunyata and Exact as alternate approaches.

Had a PS regenerator some years ago at a different location that did little as well.  Guess the message is make sure you have a return policy.

Interesting path, rblnr, the exact same as mine on power conditioning.

My first experience was with the PS Audio PP300 Power Plant....with the Ultimate Outlet cascaded in front of it.  Tho helpful in some areas, overall, it had negative impact on the music.

It could have been my inexperience with it however.....I had my 100watt SS amp plugged into the Power Plant, then tried on the UO (standard current).  The stridency I heard may have been but current limiting in my system.

I now have Brickwall unit (the hi-current 2AUD product) cascaded in front of the BPT-2 (upgraded with silver wire, ZSleeve, Auricaps, ERS, hi frequency filter).  My DAC, transport and TT are plugged into it, the amp (van Alstine) and preamp (Odyssey Tempest Extreme) are plugged only into the Brickwall (actually, a homebrew power strip with 2 hospital grade duplex outlets).

The difference is more than subtle - it's terrific.

You don't mention your preamp, but I found the Odyssey was best NOT into the BPT.  It has to be treated more like a power amp in that regard. But, my Dynaco PAS-4 tube pre is much better run right into the BPT.  The Odyssey has a large-ish transformer; the PAS an small, old style 'E' core.  I think too many transformers on a transformer based conditioner has substantial ill effects.  I don't know the scientific reasons why, nor where to start, but this is what I have found.  

I don't know which BPT you have, or enhancements to it, but the ZSleeve and ERS in mine might be helping quite a bit to improve things.  You can't add a ZSleeve to it if it ain't already built in (without much effort), but running ERS along the length of all wires within, the outlet backplates, on the top cover/inside and around the transformer is an hour job for $60 or so.

Interestingly, running the 30watt Tripath based TEAC into the BPT (with the Odyssey still on the Brickwall) is amazing  :!:   Having the Brickwall cascaded in front of it seems to have stopped the digital grunge backflowing into the system.  When I added a ZSleeve to the fixed cord of the TEAC, everthing improved dramatically (I assume removing the last little bit of RFI/EMI contamination before it reaches the overtaxed switch mode power supply).

I am not in the camp of believers that thing that only linear power supplies are superior...the switch modes are excellent if they are given a clear path to work (as the many NuForce amp-ista's can attest to  :wink: )

Anyhow, I went a little further than I had planned on this topic....the main points are:

1.  Add ERS to your BPT if not already in there
2.  Try your preamp on the Brickwall, not in the BPT.

Then, see if you need to invest mucho dollars in yet another power conditioner solution.

Good luck  :)