Iso-cup for tube preamp etc

shahed

Iso-cup for tube preamp etc
« on: 3 May 2013, 03:22 pm »
Steve, I'm using iso-cups for my tube preamp. I know you recommend iso-cups for mostly amplifier and tender feet as universal recommendation for rest of the components. I thought my preamp has tubes in it, so the iso-cups would be a good choice. Do you think I should try tenderfeet instead underneath my tube pre? Also, my tube pre is sitting in a hardwood shelf. Do you think, placing my tube pre on a butcher block and then using grungbuster dots between my rack and butcher block, would help?

Also, my amp - modwright KWA100SE has some nice spikes and brass footers integrated. Do you think, using tenderfeet should be an improvement? Btw, I'm going to place them on a maple butcherblock on my hardwood floor and use extra thick grungebuster dots between butcherblock and floor.

Lastly, My speakers are Daedalus Ulysses. It comes with maple base with soundocity outriggers (nice spikes with footers). Is there any isolation you'd recommend for my speaker setup that can be used with the soundocity outriggers and maple base to improve the sound?

Thanks!

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Iso-cup for tube preamp etc
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2013, 04:37 pm »
Hi. Iso-Cups have generally equivalent potential as Tenderfoot isolation feet with pre-amps, with neither having an inherent potential advantage sonically. Comparative differences will vary subtly from one system to another. If the Iso-Cups are doing well for you, there should be no need to change.

Placing a butcher block between the pre and shelf is sometimes additionally beneficial, often not really. With a decoupling/isolation approach as with Iso-Cups or Tenderfeet, a butcher block or other platform is usually not necessary for bringing out most of the full potential of the component. A butcher block is more often used as a "tuning" device or attempt at better isolation when using cones or other coupling devices. A butcher block would surely do no harm and has potential for sonic benefit, and you'd want to use grungebuster Dots between the butcher block and shelf.

Your amp would most likely benefit substantially by using a Herbie's Hush Puckies isolation base under each of the brass spikes. Using Tenderfoot isolation feet instead might be an improvement, depending on the vibrational environment, system synergies, and personal preference.

A Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider under each of the outrigger spikes should be substantially beneficial (between the spikes and floor).

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab